There's been an odd perception shift over the directing job for "Star Wars: Episode VII." At first, the gig seemed like any filmmakers dream. "Star Wars" birthed a generation of directors. Everyone working in Hollywood would probably kill to take a crack at that bad boy. Right?
So we eagerly waited for a director to come forward, and as we did, bigger and bigger names took their hat out of the ring. Well, of course Joss Whedon can't director. He's a little busy. They'll find someone else easily. Right?
But then people started coming out of the woodwork announcing that they straight-up turned Lucasfilm in Disney down. J.J. Abrams couldn't bring himself to do it. Brad Bird reportedly chose his mysterious "1952" over it, and now Guillermo del Toro tells The Playlist that he is just too busy.
Read more after the jump!
Though it was not an outright offer, according to del Toro, »
- Kevin P. Sullivan
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Oscar predictions: 'The Revenant,' 'Carol' to get 9 nominations; 'Spotlight,' 'Mad Max: Fury Road' to win 4 (From Gold Derby. 26 November 2015, 5:15 AM, PST)
- Star Wars Battlefront 2: 10 Biggest Fan Demands EA Must Listen To (From Obsessed with Film. 26 November 2015, 4:04 AM, PST)
- Darth Vader on his days off: pictures (From Den of Geek. 25 November 2015, 10:44 PM, PST)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens handed PG-13 rating in Us (From The Guardian - Film News. 26 November 2015, 12:41 AM, PST)
- Star Wars The Force Awakens gets a PG-13 rating in the Us (From The Hollywood News. 26 November 2015, 12:39 AM, PST)
- Star Wars: The Phantom Menace – the directors who turned it down (From Den of Geek. 25 November 2015, 10:30 PM, PST)
- Interview: Paul Bettany, Jennifer Connelly & Anthony Mackie talk ‘Shelter’ (From Blogomatic3000. 24 November 2015, 4:22 AM, PST)
- Felicia Day Joins Cast of ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ Reboot (From The Wrap. 23 November 2015, 2:39 PM, PST)
- 'Toy Story': 20 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About Pixar's First Movie (From Moviefone. 21 November 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)