There's been an odd perception shift over the directing job for "Star Wars: Episode VII." At first, the gig seemed like any filmmakers dream. "Star Wars" birthed a generation of directors. Everyone working in Hollywood would probably kill to take a crack at that bad boy. Right?
So we eagerly waited for a director to come forward, and as we did, bigger and bigger names took their hat out of the ring. Well, of course Joss Whedon can't director. He's a little busy. They'll find someone else easily. Right?
But then people started coming out of the woodwork announcing that they straight-up turned Lucasfilm in Disney down. J.J. Abrams couldn't bring himself to do it. Brad Bird reportedly chose his mysterious "1952" over it, and now Guillermo del Toro tells The Playlist that he is just too busy.
Read more after the jump!
Though it was not an outright offer, according to del Toro, »
- Kevin P. Sullivan
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Star Wars Rebels: Disney Announces New Animated Series (From TVSeriesFinale. 20 May 2013, 7:19 PM, PDT)
- Watch a Short History of Abandoned Movie Sets (From Movies.com. 20 May 2013, 4:15 PM, PDT)
- Disney announces Star Wars Rebels animated series (From Flickeringmyth. 20 May 2013, 2:26 PM, PDT)
- Film Face-off: 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan' vs. 'Star Trek Into Darkness' (From Movies.com. 21 May 2013)
- Star Wars Rebels Animated Series Plots 2014 Debut on Disney Xd (From TheHDRoom. 20 May 2013, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Star Wars 7 Casting: Jonathan Rhys Meyers First New Name to Pop Up! (From E! Online. 20 May 2013, 5:32 PM, PDT)
- Ten reasons why 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' kicks ass (From EW.com - PopWatch. 20 May 2013, 3:36 PM, PDT)
- Joss Whedon Confirms Villains in 'Avengers 2' (From Fandango. 20 May 2013, 3:23 PM, PDT)
- L.A. Screenings: The Upfronts At a Glance (From Variety - TV News. 20 May 2013, 7:45 AM, PDT)