Whether or not writer-director Fede Alvarez’s upcoming remake of Sam Raimi’s groundbreaking scare machine The Evil Dead is – as its poster boasts – “the most terrifying film you will ever experience”, I’ve little doubt, upon visiting the film’s set near Auckland, New Zealand , that Alvarez, his cast, and his crew are determined to return the Dead saga to its roots. For although Bruce Campbell’s Ash became an iconic figure of splatter comedy in the hilarious Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness, the series owes its initial success to the lean, low-budget 1981 original that took the fright business seriously.
Not that there isn’t some room for visual gags, as prosthetics designer Roger Murray explains when he gives me and my fellow gorehound journos a behind-the-scenes look at some of Evil Dead 2013’s effects.
“In one of our first meetings with Fede,” explains Murray, “one of »
- Joseph McCabe
Similar News ItemsSam Raimi
- ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Trailer: Does Gwen Stacy Die? — Watch (From HollywoodLife. 5 December 2013, 7:18 AM, PST)
- Ben Foster, Travis Fimmel, Toby Kebbell & More Sign On for Duncan Jones’ Warcraft (From HeyUGuys. 5 December 2013, 4:00 AM, PST)
- The First 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Trailer Is Electrifying (Video) (From Moviefone. 5 December 2013, 2:30 AM, PST)
- Gender Inequality in Film: In Infographic Form (From Indiewire. 28 November 2013, 7:01 AM, PST)
- Adam Brody To Guest Star On ‘New Girl’ (From The Hollywood News. 26 November 2013, 1:13 PM, PST)
- Own Sets Debuts for New Mafioso-Turned-Dog-Groomer and NBA Family Reality Series (From The Wrap. 26 November 2013, 12:16 PM, PST)
- J.J. Abrams Admits ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ Secrecy Went Too Far; Talks Reluctance To Rush 'Star Wars' Release Date (From The Playlist. 2 December 2013, 11:51 AM, PST)
- Best of 2013 (Behind the Scenes): How 'Star Trek' used music to move you (and made you cry) (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 1 December 2013, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Edgar Wright's Collider Will Probably Be A Horror Movie (From Cinema Blend. 29 November 2013, 11:26 AM, PST)