Les Mis on course to become highest-grossing musical in North American box-office history
North American audiences cannot get enough of Empty Chairs, Empty Tables. And I'm not talking about the result of a visit from a chainsaw-wielding maniac, more of which in a minute. No, I refer to a neat little record established over the weekend by Les Misérables, the latest hit from the UK's super-producers Working Title.
On Sunday the stage adaptation became the fastest musical in North American box office history to cross $100m after accomplishing the feat in a mere 13 days. By comparison it took Chicago 65 days to cross $100m (although that movie opened in a limited number of theatres) while Mamma Mia! did it in 23. Les Mis is closing in on $100m outside North America too and should breast the $200m worldwide box office line within days.
This is some achievement. Musicals are a notoriously risky »
- Jeremy Kay
Similar News ItemsThe Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Christian Bale: "I'm jealous of someone else playing Batman" (From Den of Geek. 23 November 2014, 10:35 PM, PST)
- Interstellar: 10 Reasons It’s Nolan’s Worst Film (From Obsessed with Film. 23 November 2014, 3:29 AM, PST)
- Idris Elba Eyed For Titular Villain Role In X-Men: Apocalypse? (From We Got This Covered. 22 November 2014, 5:11 PM, PST)
Emma Stone (III)
- Can Meryl Streep actually win a fourth Oscar for 'Into the Woods?' (From Hitfix. 23 November 2014, 1:52 PM, PST)
- Why are Marvel's women all such buzzkills? (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 23 November 2014, 1:30 AM, PST)
- Nene Leakes Uses Cinderella Costume to Spoof Kim Kardashian (From Entertainment Tonight. 22 November 2014, 3:22 PM, PST)
- Tarantino’s ‘The Hateful Eight’ Cast Revealed (From The Hollywood News. 23 November 2014, 11:04 PM, PST)
- Samuel L. Jackson Tweets Behind-the-Scenes Images from Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight (From Collider.com. 23 November 2014, 8:51 PM, PST)
- Behind the Scenes Image From The Hateful Eight (From TheMovieBit. 23 November 2014, 4:46 PM, PST)