Les Mis on course to become highest-grossing musical in North American box-office history
North American audiences cannot get enough of Empty Chairs, Empty Tables. And I'm not talking about the result of a visit from a chainsaw-wielding maniac, more of which in a minute. No, I refer to a neat little record established over the weekend by Les Misérables, the latest hit from the UK's super-producers Working Title.
On Sunday the stage adaptation became the fastest musical in North American box office history to cross $100m after accomplishing the feat in a mere 13 days. By comparison it took Chicago 65 days to cross $100m (although that movie opened in a limited number of theatres) while Mamma Mia! did it in 23. Les Mis is closing in on $100m outside North America too and should breast the $200m worldwide box office line within days.
This is some achievement. Musicals are a notoriously risky »
- Jeremy Kay
Similar News ItemsThe Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- ‘Dunkirk’ Helps Push U.K. Cinema Admissions Past 100 Million by End of July (From Variety - Film News. 22 August 2017, 3:47 AM, PDT)
- Wonder Woman Is Now The Highest Grossing Superhero Origin Story (From We Got This Covered. 20 August 2017, 3:42 PM, PDT)
- ‘Wonder Woman 2’: Patty Jenkins Signing Historic Deal to Become Highest Paid Female Director in Hollywood (From Indiewire. 18 August 2017, 6:48 AM, PDT)
Emma Stone (III)
- Blade Runner 2049, American Made, and Tiff top our movie news roundup! (From Cineplex. 22 August 2017, 2:11 PM, PDT)
- Newswire: 14 of the highest-paid actors make more than the highest-paid actress (From The AV Club. 22 August 2017, 12:36 PM, PDT)
- Mark Wahlberg Beats The Rock as 2017's Highest Paid Actor (From MovieWeb. 22 August 2017, 12:07 PM, PDT)
- The Joker Origin Story Movie: Martin Scorsese Producing, Todd Phillips to Direct (From Indiewire. 22 August 2017, 3:35 PM, PDT)
- Newswire: John Carpenter announces new album, fall tour (From The AV Club. 22 August 2017, 11:05 AM, PDT)
- Quentin Tarantino’s 9 Strangest and Most Surprising Movie Projects (From Indiewire. 22 August 2017, 6:43 AM, PDT)