Les Mis on course to become highest-grossing musical in North American box-office history
North American audiences cannot get enough of Empty Chairs, Empty Tables. And I'm not talking about the result of a visit from a chainsaw-wielding maniac, more of which in a minute. No, I refer to a neat little record established over the weekend by Les Misérables, the latest hit from the UK's super-producers Working Title.
On Sunday the stage adaptation became the fastest musical in North American box office history to cross $100m after accomplishing the feat in a mere 13 days. By comparison it took Chicago 65 days to cross $100m (although that movie opened in a limited number of theatres) while Mamma Mia! did it in 23. Les Mis is closing in on $100m outside North America too and should breast the $200m worldwide box office line within days.
This is some achievement. Musicals are a notoriously risky »
- Jeremy Kay
Similar News ItemsThe Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- First trailer for live-action webseries Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist (From Flickeringmyth. 15 March 2014, 5:05 PM, PDT)
- Need For Speed 3D Review; "It's A B Movie, And A Damn Good One At That!" (From ComicBookMovie. 14 March 2014, 11:56 AM, PDT)
- 'Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist' Trailer; Web Series Coming Soon (From MovieWeb. 14 March 2014, 11:51 AM, PDT)
Emma Stone (III)
- Rhino Image Counts Down 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Trailer in 4 Days (From MovieWeb. 15 March 2014, 11:17 AM, PDT)
- New Image of The Rhino Ahead of the Final Trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (From HeyUGuys. 15 March 2014, 9:42 AM, PDT)
- Check Out The Rhino in a New The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Promo Image (From Comingsoon.net. 15 March 2014)
- Tyler Perrython: 15 Tyler Perry Productions Watched, Graded + Ranked (From TheFabLife - Movies. 14 March 2014, 8:30 AM, PDT)
- The Waltz theorem (From The Guardian - Film News. 13 March 2014, 5:07 PM, PDT)
- Magnolia Huffs, Puffs and Readies to Release Big Bad Wolves on Home Video (From Dread Central. 13 March 2014, 11:50 AM, PDT)