From MTV News
The first weekend January, a notoriously slow month at the box office, found a surprise hit in Leatherface and his trusty piece of hardware.
The latest entry in the horror series, "Texas Chainsaw 3D," earned $23 million in its first weekend at Us theaters. The sequel, which takes place immediately after Tobe Hooper's 1974 cult classic, won the weekend from December holdovers "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained," which continued to perform surprisingly well adding $20 million to its total.
"Django Unchained"'s second-place weekend was actually enough to push it past the $100 million mark, so congrats to Tarantino and good movies performing well.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report.
- MTV Movies Team
Similar News ItemsQuentin Tarantino
- Arrow Films announces August Blu-ray line-up (From Flickeringmyth. 2 May 2015, 10:00 PM, PDT)
- Steve Anderson Dies at 67; Director of ‘South Central,’ ‘Cash’ (From Variety - Film News. 1 May 2015, 3:50 PM, PDT)
- Watch: 10-Minute Video Essay Explores Quentin Tarantino's Masterful Character Building (From The Playlist. 30 April 2015, 1:17 PM, PDT)
Django Unchained (2012)
- New look at Dave Bautista’s Mr. Hinx from Spectre (From Flickeringmyth. 1 May 2015, 9:37 AM, PDT)
- Why 1973 Was the Best Year in Movie History (From Hitfix. 30 April 2015, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- New Roots Series For A New Generation Coming in 2016 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 30 April 2015, 3:03 PM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Surprise: 'Age of Ultron' doesn't come close to setting the opening weekend record (From Hitfix. 3 May 2015, 10:13 AM, PDT)
- Ang Lee's Next Movie Will Use an Even Higher Frame Rate than 'The Hobbit' (From Movies.com. 23 April 2015, 7:00 PM, PDT)
- Furious 7 Box Office Crosses $1 Billion Worldwide in Record Time (From Collider.com. 17 April 2015, 2:40 PM, PDT)