From MTV News
The first weekend January, a notoriously slow month at the box office, found a surprise hit in Leatherface and his trusty piece of hardware.
The latest entry in the horror series, "Texas Chainsaw 3D," earned $23 million in its first weekend at Us theaters. The sequel, which takes place immediately after Tobe Hooper's 1974 cult classic, won the weekend from December holdovers "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained," which continued to perform surprisingly well adding $20 million to its total.
"Django Unchained"'s second-place weekend was actually enough to push it past the $100 million mark, so congrats to Tarantino and good movies performing well.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report.
- MTV Movies Team
Similar News ItemsQuentin Tarantino
- National Board of Review honors “Mad Max: Fury Road”, “The Martian”, and more (From Hollywoodnews.com. 1 December 2015, 12:48 PM, PST)
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' Named Best Film by National Board of Review (From Moviefone. 1 December 2015, 12:30 PM, PST)
- National Board of Review Names ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ the Best Film of 2015 (From The Film Stage. 1 December 2015, 12:02 PM, PST)
Django Unchained (2012)
- 21 Actors Who Prove Bilingual Is Better (From Backstage. 1 December 2015, 10:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Revenant,’ ‘Hateful Eight’ Put a Bloody Bow on the Season (From Variety - Film News. 30 November 2015, 1:30 PM, PST)
- New York Post claims Quentin Tarantino lied about jail time (From The Guardian - Film News. 30 November 2015, 5:05 AM, PST)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- "Force Awakens" Tracking For $185-210M Open (From Dark Horizons. 24 November 2015, 8:22 PM, PST)
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Heading for Massive $170 Million-Plus Opening (From Variety - Film News. 24 November 2015, 7:44 AM, PST)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens doubles previous advance ticket sales record (From Flickeringmyth. 21 November 2015, 5:13 AM, PST)