From MTV News
The first weekend January, a notoriously slow month at the box office, found a surprise hit in Leatherface and his trusty piece of hardware.
The latest entry in the horror series, "Texas Chainsaw 3D," earned $23 million in its first weekend at Us theaters. The sequel, which takes place immediately after Tobe Hooper's 1974 cult classic, won the weekend from December holdovers "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained," which continued to perform surprisingly well adding $20 million to its total.
"Django Unchained"'s second-place weekend was actually enough to push it past the $100 million mark, so congrats to Tarantino and good movies performing well.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report.
- MTV Movies Team
Similar News ItemsQuentin Tarantino
- Box Office: ‘Boyhood’ Producers Say Richard Linklater Finally Getting His Due (From Variety - Film News. 13 July 2014, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- El Rey Announces More Installments of The Director's Chair and Production Start Date for From Dusk Till Dawn Season 2 (From Dread Central. 12 July 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Robert Rodriguez-Hosted Director’S Chair Returns With Guillermo Del Toro/Quentin Tarantino Episodes; Premiere Information (From Icons of Fright. 10 July 2014, 11:04 PM, PDT)
Django Unchained (2012)
- #SDCC14: Day 4 (July 27) Lures the Horror Crowd with Supernatural, The Strain, and The Following (From Dread Central. 13 July 2014, 4:50 PM, PDT)
- Christoph Waltz Is Tense And Nude In Terry Gilliam's Zero Theorem Trailer (From Cinema Blend. 10 July 2014, 7:32 AM, PDT)
- New trailer for Terry Gilliam’s The Zero Theorem (From Flickeringmyth. 9 July 2014, 3:15 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- First TV Spot Takes Us Into the Storm (From Dread Central. 7 July 2014, 3:34 PM, PDT)
- First TV Spot for 'Into the Storm' (From LatinoReview. 7 July 2014, 12:50 PM, PDT)
- Powerful 4th Of July Spot For Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (From ComicBookMovie. 3 July 2014, 11:46 AM, PDT)