From MTV News
The first weekend January, a notoriously slow month at the box office, found a surprise hit in Leatherface and his trusty piece of hardware.
The latest entry in the horror series, "Texas Chainsaw 3D," earned $23 million in its first weekend at Us theaters. The sequel, which takes place immediately after Tobe Hooper's 1974 cult classic, won the weekend from December holdovers "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained," which continued to perform surprisingly well adding $20 million to its total.
"Django Unchained"'s second-place weekend was actually enough to push it past the $100 million mark, so congrats to Tarantino and good movies performing well.
Head over to MTV News for your full box office report.
- MTV Movies Team
Similar News ItemsQuentin Tarantino
- Blu-ray Review – Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) (From Flickeringmyth. 23 January 2017, 12:30 AM, PST)
- John Travolta Had Scientology Head Review ‘Pulp Fiction’ Script Before Accepting (From Indiewire. 22 January 2017, 2:53 PM, PST)
- John Travolta Had Scientology Head Review ‘Pulp Fiction’ Script Before Accepting (From Indiewire Television. 22 January 2017, 2:53 PM, PST)
Django Unchained (2012)
- ‘Live By Night’ review: “Perfectly enjoyable, but lacks pizzazz” (From The Hollywood News. 12 January 2017, 12:00 AM, PST)
- Will Smith Circling Disney’s Live Action ‘Dumbo’ (From The Playlist. 11 January 2017, 12:27 PM, PST)
- Tomb Raider Movie Adds Daniel Wu To Growing Ensemble (From We Got This Covered. 11 January 2017, 12:04 PM, PST)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Soars Past $400 Million Worldwide (From We Got This Covered. 23 December 2016, 10:46 AM, PST)
- ‘Rogue One’ Dominates Foreign Box Office With $135.5 Million Debut (From Variety - Film News. 18 December 2016, 1:33 PM, PST)
- Rogue One Scores $290.5M at Worldwide Box Office (From MovieWeb. 18 December 2016, 12:40 PM, PST)