Slavery remains American’s original sin, written into the original U.S. Constitution and responsible for the country’s ever-evolving, ever-complicated attitudes about race. So when a director like Quentin Tarantino decides to use slavery as the backdrop for his spaghetti Western revenge fantasia Django Unchained, it should not be exactly surprising that the film has come under a great deal of scrutiny.
What should be surprising — what should be at the center of any conversation about slavery and the movies — is how infrequently the words “slavery and the movies” are spoken in the same sentence.
Last month, Spike Lee »
- Adam B. Vary
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Anthony Daniels on C-3P0 and Star Wars: Episode VII (From Den of Geek. 16 September 2014, 11:20 PM, PDT)
- Mark Ruffalo Talks Infinitely Polar Bear, Daydreaming About His Characters, Getting Nervous, Star Wars, Now You See Me 2, Spotlight & More (From Collider.com. 16 September 2014, 9:29 PM, PDT)
- Adam Driver's Star Wars: Episode 7 Role May Surprise You (From Vulture. 16 September 2014, 9:08 PM, PDT)
- Why Tobey Maguire Thinks There’s a Lack of Young Male Movie Stars (From Vulture. 16 September 2014, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Selected as United Nations Messenger of Peace (From Variety - Film News. 16 September 2014, 11:23 AM, PDT)
- Brie Larson and Ben Kingsley up the pedigree of Daniel Radcliffe-led 'Brooklyn Bridge' (From Hitfix. 16 September 2014, 10:36 AM, PDT)
Samuel L. Jackson
- New Avengers 2,Age Of Ultron Official Spoilers,Plotline Revealed By Marvel & Disney Pictures (From OnTheFlix. 16 September 2014, 1:51 PM, PDT)
- 'Star Wars 7' Photos Reveal Adam Driver Is an X-Wing Pilot? (From MovieWeb. 16 September 2014, 1:31 PM, PDT)
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Plot Details Don't Give Away Much (From Rope Of Silicon. 16 September 2014, 12:03 PM, PDT)