Does ITV's new Sunday-evening offering, starring Jeremy Piven, do the business for fans of ITV period drama?
It's hard to know whether to feel sorry for ITV1's Mr Selfridge's predicament. Or to envy it. Because this is a series that will be relentlessly compared to its glossy period drama stablemate Downton Abbey. That could be a good thing. Surely it's not possible for a series to be more ridiculous than Julian Fellowes' tweed-clad, bandage-faced, car-crashing baby? (And I say that with affection for that peculiarly fated baby.) Or it could be a bad thing. Because Downton is so massively successful that how could anything else ever compare.
Luckily it turns out Mr Selfridge is in a league of its own. With screenwriter extraordinaire Andrew Davies on board, you'd expect that. Happily (or, possibly, sadly), there were none of the anachronistic howlers or demented plot twists that Downton serves up on a platter. »
- Viv Groskop
Similar News Items"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Jon Cryer on 'Two and a Half Men' gay wedding controversy: It 'surprised us' (From Hitfix. 30 October 2014, 6:37 PM, PDT)
- Sue Johnston on Royle Family revival: "Never say never" (From Digital Spy - TV news. 29 October 2014, 1:51 PM, PDT)
- Sue Johnston: 'The majority of acting work is still for men' (From Digital Spy - TV news. 29 October 2014, 4:59 AM, PDT)
- Afm 2014: Premiere Entertainment Group Will Handle Foreign Sales Of Creature Feature Dark Was The Night (From Twitch. 29 October 2014, 4:30 PM, PDT)
- Entourage release date moved forward to avoid Jurassic World clash (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 25 October 2014, 3:24 AM, PDT)
- Bad Santa 2 won't be as good as the original, says Billy Bob Thornton (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 22 October 2014, 5:42 AM, PDT)
Maggie Smith (I)
- Trailer For My Old Lady (From TheMovieBit. 30 October 2014, 10:37 AM, PDT)
- Sue Johnston wants more roles for women (From Virgin Media - TV. 29 October 2014, 9:15 AM, PDT)
- Downton Abbey Season 5 Trailer Promises "Bad" Secrets and Major Drama—Watch Now! (From E! Online. 21 October 2014, 7:24 AM, PDT)