Your best witticisms, please, for this snap of the French-born actor brandishing his new passport in traditional Russian robes
Last week, Gérard Depardieu flew to Sochi in Russia where he was greeted by Vladimir Putin. Depardieu has joined a select band of people claiming Russian citizenship – in his case, because he didn't want to pay the 75% rate of tax imposed by François Hollande on millionaires.
Yesterday Depardieu travelled to Saransk in the Mordovia Republic, 438 miles south-east of Moscow, where he enjoyed a traditional greeting, donned Russian folk garb and showed off his new passport. According to the Voice of Russia, he then visited places of local interest, including a monument to Yemelyan Pugachov, the leader of the Cossack Rebellion back in the 18th century, whom Depardieu apparently wants to play.
It is doubtful that Depardieu visited the other local landmarks – the Stalin-era gulags, in one of which Nadezhda Tolokonnikova of »
Similar News ItemsVladimir Putin
- Vin Diesel Shares Naked Shower Photo Post-als Bucket Challenge (From Uinterview. 19 August 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Ari Emanuel, Patrick Whitesell and Wme Complete Als Ice Bucket Challenge (From The Wrap. 19 August 2014, 6:57 PM, PDT)
- Mickey Rourke -- This Is No Put-On ... I Like Putin (From TMZ. 12 August 2014, 6:30 AM, PDT)
- Welcome To New York Review (From We Got This Covered. 13 August 2014, 5:05 PM, PDT)
- Fantasia 2014: Justine’s Top 5 Movies (From SoundOnSight. 10 August 2014, 10:59 AM, PDT)
- Welcome to New York movie review: the rampage of uncivilized men (From FlickFilosopher. 8 August 2014, 10:58 AM, PDT)
- Prince William and Kate Middleton Travel to Belgium for World War I Commemorative Events (From E! Online. 4 August 2014, 4:35 AM, PDT)
- Pictures! Shah Rukh Khan Honored with French “Knight of the Legion of Honour” (From Bollyspice. 2 July 2014, 8:19 AM, PDT)
- Prince William, Kate Middleton and Queen Elizabeth II Heading to France for D-Day Commemoration (From E! Online. 22 May 2014, 8:16 PM, PDT)