"Downton Abbey" returns for its third season Sunday evening (Jan. 6) and it brings with it a wonderful new character in the form of Shirley MacLaine as Martha Levinson, Lady Cora's American mother. Star Hugh Bonneville dishes to Zap2it about how his character gets on with his mother-in-law.
"Any married man who hears the words your mother-in-law is coming to stay, that does strike an arrow of dread into the heart," laughs Bonneville. "In character terms, she's the mother of her daughter. Cora, relative to a character like Robert, is a complete free spirit. Martha Levinson is very much the mother of her daughter. She has forward-thinking values, relative to the Downton stock."
Those forward-thinking ways definitely cause a stir within the household.
Related: "Downton" Season 3 character wish list
"She's like a little hurricane," says Bonneville. "But ultimately, one of my favorite scenes of the series is one I do »
Similar News Items"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Emmy Awards 2016: Handicapping the Top Series and Acting Races (From Variety - TV News. 28 July 2016, 11:49 AM, PDT)
- 13 TV Couples With Crazy Age Gaps (From TVfanatic. 28 July 2016, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Black Mirror Season 3 Premiere Date Set at Netflix — Get Details (From TVLine.com. 27 July 2016, 1:30 PM, PDT)
- Matthew Billingsly to Adapt ‘Stringer’ Starring ‘Hundred Foot Journey’s’ Manish Dayal (From Variety - Film News. 26 July 2016, 4:59 PM, PDT)
- Studiocanal UK: 10 years in the making (From ScreenDaily. 5 July 2016, 5:35 AM, PDT)
- Studiocanal UK: ten years in the making (From ScreenDaily. 5 July 2016, 5:35 AM, PDT)
Maggie Smith (I)
- BBC Films boss Christine Langan set to step down (From ScreenDaily. 19 July 2016, 7:14 AM, PDT)
- Downton Abbey: New Movie Talk Following 10 Emmy Nominations for Final Season (From TVSeriesFinale. 15 July 2016, 5:16 PM, PDT)
- 7 TV Shows to Watch If You're Still Coping With the Loss of Downton Abbey (From BuzzSugar. 15 July 2016, 2:55 PM, PDT)