"Downton Abbey" returns for its third season Sunday evening (Jan. 6) and it brings with it a wonderful new character in the form of Shirley MacLaine as Martha Levinson, Lady Cora's American mother. Star Hugh Bonneville dishes to Zap2it about how his character gets on with his mother-in-law.
"Any married man who hears the words your mother-in-law is coming to stay, that does strike an arrow of dread into the heart," laughs Bonneville. "In character terms, she's the mother of her daughter. Cora, relative to a character like Robert, is a complete free spirit. Martha Levinson is very much the mother of her daughter. She has forward-thinking values, relative to the Downton stock."
Those forward-thinking ways definitely cause a stir within the household.
Related: "Downton" Season 3 character wish list
"She's like a little hurricane," says Bonneville. "But ultimately, one of my favorite scenes of the series is one I do »
Similar News Items"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- 5 reasons why Emmy voters will finally embrace 'The Americans' (From Gold Derby. 28 May 2015, 11:02 AM, PDT)
- Seeing the Game of Thrones Cast in Other Roles Will Seriously Weird You Out (From BuzzSugar. 28 May 2015, 5:30 AM, PDT)
- Ciara McAvoy: The Hollywood Interview (From The Hollywood Interview. 27 May 2015, 4:01 PM, PDT)
- We love W1A. But, dear BBC, is it wise to lay bare your foibles so mercilessly? | Charlotte Higgins (From The Guardian - TV News. 15 May 2015, 8:03 AM, PDT)
- Thursday’s best TV (From The Guardian - TV News. 13 May 2015, 9:59 PM, PDT)
- Matt Berry on Toast of London ratings: "Hardly anyone watches on the night" (From Digital Spy - TV news. 11 May 2015, 4:17 AM, PDT)
Maggie Smith (I)
- Top Ten Tuesday – The Best Substitutes for Downton Abbey (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 26 May 2015, 7:44 AM, PDT)
- Time Machine: Spielberg and Daughter (with 'Indiana Jones' Actress Capshaw) on Oscars Red Carpet (From Alt Film Guide. 14 May 2015, 2:02 PM, PDT)
- Dame Maggie Smith's Downton Abbey character 'will never die' (From Virgin Media - TV. 3 May 2015, 4:00 AM, PDT)