Film star visits Russian president in Black Sea resort after leaving France to avoid François Hollande's millionaires' tax
Gérard Depardieu has met the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, in the Black Sea town of Sochi and obtained his Russian passport, the Kremlin has said, after the French film star left his homeland to avoid a new tax rate for millionaires.
Putin signed a decree on Thursday granting Russian citizenship to Depardieu, who objected to plans by the French president, François Hollande, to impose a 75% tax rate on the super-rich. His decision to quit France had prompted accusations of national betrayal.
The Russian president and Depardieu were shown on state-run TV station Channel One shaking hands and hugging each other early on Sunday during what the Kremlin said was a private visit.
"A brief meeting between the president and Depardieu took place," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. "On the occasion of his visit to Russia, »
Similar News ItemsVladimir Putin
- Vladimir Putin Shoots ... Scores! On 63rd Bday (Video) (From TMZ. 7 October 2015, 1:51 PM, PDT)
- Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks on the Relevance of ‘Bridge of Spies’ and Coens’ Contributions (From The Film Stage. 5 October 2015, 2:20 PM, PDT)
- Watch: New 'Homeland' Season 5 Trailer is Silent but Deadly (From Indiewire. 28 September 2015, 10:39 AM, PDT)
- French Director Maurice Pialat to Receive Major Retrospective at Museum of the Moving Image (From Indiewire. 30 September 2015, 11:38 AM, PDT)
- Strange Case of Serge Bozon: Huppert, Depardieu & Duris Join “Madame Hyde” (From ioncinema. 30 September 2015, 11:35 AM, PDT)
- Maurice Pialat Retrospective: Under the Sun of Satan | Review (From ioncinema. 29 September 2015, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Live Through This: Courtney Love attacked by mob of taxi drivers, tweets throughout (From Hitfix. 25 June 2015, 9:46 AM, PDT)
- Hot projects on Screenbase (From ScreenDaily. 9 January 2015, 4:20 AM, PST)
- French, Us guilds condemn Charlie Hebdo massacre (From ScreenDaily. 7 January 2015, 5:13 PM, PST)