Film star visits Russian president in Black Sea resort after leaving France to avoid François Hollande's millionaires' tax
Gérard Depardieu has met the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, in the Black Sea town of Sochi and obtained his Russian passport, the Kremlin has said, after the French film star left his homeland to avoid a new tax rate for millionaires.
Putin signed a decree on Thursday granting Russian citizenship to Depardieu, who objected to plans by the French president, François Hollande, to impose a 75% tax rate on the super-rich. His decision to quit France had prompted accusations of national betrayal.
The Russian president and Depardieu were shown on state-run TV station Channel One shaking hands and hugging each other early on Sunday during what the Kremlin said was a private visit.
"A brief meeting between the president and Depardieu took place," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. "On the occasion of his visit to Russia, »
Similar News ItemsVladimir Putin
- Jailed Ukrainian director Oleg Sentsov could be traded in prisoner exchange (From ScreenDaily. 23 November 2015, 2:39 AM, PST)
- Donald Trump Narrowly Avoids a Hairy Situation With Vladimir Putin in Cut ‘SNL’ Sketch (Video) (From The Wrap. 11 November 2015, 5:46 PM, PST)
- Watch: Saturday Night Live Did a Sketch About Trump’s Hair, But It Was Cut for Time (From Vulture. 11 November 2015, 3:38 PM, PST)
- DVD: Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Missing Pimp (From FilmExperience. 10 November 2015, 2:00 PM, PST)
- Gaumont Steps Into Nicloux’s ‘The Wandering’ With Gerard Depardieu (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 6 November 2015, 6:51 AM, PST)
- 25 great movie performances by actors in multiple roles (From Den of Geek. 5 November 2015, 1:41 PM, PST)
- Paris Shootings and Explosions Leave at Least 129 Dead (From E! Online. 14 November 2015, 11:25 AM, PST)
- Stephen Colbert Left Speechless by Paris Attacks (Video) (From The Wrap. 14 November 2015, 7:47 AM, PST)
- Networks Stick With Mostly Regular Programming in Wake of Paris Attacks (From TVLine.com. 13 November 2015, 3:56 PM, PST)