Film star visits Russian president in Black Sea resort after leaving France to avoid François Hollande's millionaires' tax
Gérard Depardieu has met the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, in the Black Sea town of Sochi and obtained his Russian passport, the Kremlin has said, after the French film star left his homeland to avoid a new tax rate for millionaires.
Putin signed a decree on Thursday granting Russian citizenship to Depardieu, who objected to plans by the French president, François Hollande, to impose a 75% tax rate on the super-rich. His decision to quit France had prompted accusations of national betrayal.
The Russian president and Depardieu were shown on state-run TV station Channel One shaking hands and hugging each other early on Sunday during what the Kremlin said was a private visit.
"A brief meeting between the president and Depardieu took place," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. "On the occasion of his visit to Russia, »
Similar News ItemsVladimir Putin
- Rusev No Longer Russian In New WWE Entrance Video (From Obsessed with Film. 22 May 2015, 1:38 PM, PDT)
- Gérard Depardieu discusses Russia in Cannes: 'If Crimea had been American it would have been a different matter' (From The Guardian - Film News. 22 May 2015, 5:50 AM, PDT)
- Steven Seagal: ‘I like to go after murderers, bank robbers, rapists, kidnappers’ (From The Guardian - Film News. 14 May 2015, 7:25 AM, PDT)
- Netflix Rumored To Want Gerard Depardieu For French ‘House Of Cards’ (From Deadline TV. 24 May 2015, 3:22 PM, PDT)
- Gerard Depardieu in Talks for Lead Role in Netflix’ French ‘House of Cards’ (From Variety - TV News. 24 May 2015, 6:07 AM, PDT)
- Cannes Film Review: ‘Two Friends’ (From Variety - Film News. 24 May 2015, 1:01 AM, PDT)
- Hot projects on Screenbase (From ScreenDaily. 9 January 2015, 4:20 AM, PST)
- French, Us guilds condemn Charlie Hebdo massacre (From ScreenDaily. 7 January 2015, 5:13 PM, PST)
- Hollywood, World Leaders React to Deadly Paris Terror Attack on Social Media (From The Wrap. 7 January 2015, 11:37 AM, PST)