Film star visits Russian president in Black Sea resort after leaving France to avoid François Hollande's millionaires' tax
Gérard Depardieu has met the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, in the Black Sea town of Sochi and obtained his Russian passport, the Kremlin has said, after the French film star left his homeland to avoid a new tax rate for millionaires.
Putin signed a decree on Thursday granting Russian citizenship to Depardieu, who objected to plans by the French president, François Hollande, to impose a 75% tax rate on the super-rich. His decision to quit France had prompted accusations of national betrayal.
The Russian president and Depardieu were shown on state-run TV station Channel One shaking hands and hugging each other early on Sunday during what the Kremlin said was a private visit.
"A brief meeting between the president and Depardieu took place," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. "On the occasion of his visit to Russia, »
Similar News ItemsVladimir Putin
- 'House of Cards': Frank Underwood More Popular Than Obama (From MovieWeb. 23 March 2015, 8:55 PM, PDT)
- Satirists seek crowdfunding to kickstart political comedy in Putin's Russia (From The Guardian - TV News. 6 March 2015, 11:21 AM, PST)
- House of Cards: 5 Things We Want in Season 4 (From PEOPLE.com. 4 March 2015, 11:35 AM, PST)
- Jacqueline Bisset Defends Her 'Welcome to New York' Director Abel Ferrara As "Uncompromising" (From The Hollywood Reporter. 26 March 2015, 7:07 PM, PDT)
- Cannes: New Movies From Pixar, Woody Allen Expected at 68th Film Festival (From Variety - Film News. 26 March 2015, 11:55 AM, PDT)
- And the Cannes line-up is…? (From ScreenDaily. 26 March 2015, 4:05 AM, PDT)
- Hot projects on Screenbase (From ScreenDaily. 9 January 2015, 4:20 AM, PST)
- French, Us guilds condemn Charlie Hebdo massacre (From ScreenDaily. 7 January 2015, 5:13 PM, PST)
- Hollywood, World Leaders React to Deadly Paris Terror Attack on Social Media (From The Wrap. 7 January 2015, 11:37 AM, PST)