Things got pretty awkward during "Django Unchained" director Quentin Tarantino's recent chat with NPR when the subject of the movie's brutality and tough historical subject matter animus came up once and again (and again and again).
Interviewer Terry Gross, of "Fresh Air", pressed Tarantino about his choice to use "two just abhorrent chapters of history" for cinematic backdrops — "Django" and his 2009 Nazi adventure drama "Inglourious Basterds" — along with inquiries about where his line for cinematic violence would be drawn to avoid hitting a "point of revulsion."
Let's just say her opinions on the movie weren't exactly subtle.
Tarantino explained his choice to write the flicks as, simply, "I actually thought they would be good movies."
"I like the idea of telling these stories and taking stories that oftentimes if played out in the way that they're normally played out just end up becoming soul-deadening because you're just watching victimization all the time, »
- Amanda Bell
Similar News ItemsQuentin Tarantino
- July 4th Streaming Guide: What to Binge This Weekend (Photos) (From The Wrap. 1 July 2016, 7:03 PM, PDT)
- Check Out These Freaked-Out Photos From Season Three of From Dusk Till Dawn (From shocktillyoudrop. 1 July 2016, 2:31 PM, PDT)
- How the ‘Swiss Army Man’ Directors Went From Working With Lil Jon to Daniel Radcliffe (From Indiewire. 30 June 2016, 7:00 AM, PDT)
Django Unchained (2012)
- Wamg Giveaway – Win the Vigilante Diaries Blu-ray (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 30 June 2016, 5:28 PM, PDT)
- Vigilante Diaries Preview Introduces a New Kind of Anti-Hero | Exclusive (From MovieWeb. 29 June 2016, 3:01 PM, PDT)
- Samuel L. Jackson Set For Britannia Awards Honor (From Deadline. 28 June 2016, 9:43 AM, PDT)
Inglourious Basterds (2009)
- Karlovy Vary Film Review: ‘Anthropoid’ (From Variety - Film News. 1 July 2016, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘The Legend of Tarzan’ (From Variety - Film News. 29 June 2016, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Diane Kruger Opens Up About How Meeting Longtime Love Joshua Jackson Changed Her Life (From PEOPLE.com. 27 June 2016, 5:00 AM, PDT)