Two-part special pulls 11.7m and 10.7m using consolidated figures, eclipsed over Christmas only by Strictly Come Dancing
Unloved by the critics it may be, but BBC1 sitcom Mrs Brown's Boys proved the unsung star attraction in the Christmas TV ratings war, watched by more viewers than tuned into Miranda, EastEnders or Downton Abbey when consolidated viewing figures are taken into account.
An unlikely festive hit, not least because of creator Irish comedian Brendan O'Carroll's fondness for four-letter words, the first of a two-part seasonal special had more than 11 million viewers on Christmas Eve, eclipsed over the festive period only by Strictly Come Dancing.
Like My Family before it Mrs Brown's Boys pulls in big audiences for BBC1 despite being a turnoff with many critics.
The sitcom, born out of a character created by O'Carroll 20 years ago for Irish radio, began with fewer than 3 million viewers when it »
- John Plunkett
Similar News Items"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Outlander's Romantic Reunion Unfolds in New Print Shop Episode Photos (From TVLine.com. 18 October 2017, 1:17 PM, PDT)
- ‘Liar’ Star Joanne Froggatt Says Rape ‘Shouldn’t be a Taboo Subject in Our Society’ (Exclusive) (From Entertainment Tonight. 17 October 2017, 7:30 AM, PDT)
- Godless: first trailer for Steven Soderbergh's Netflix show (From Den of Geek. 16 October 2017, 10:13 AM, PDT)
"Coronation Street" (1960)
- Red Dwarf cast and co-creator interview: series Xii, the future (From Den of Geek. 16 October 2017, 12:20 AM, PDT)
- Bobby Knutt obituary (From The Guardian - TV News. 3 October 2017, 5:09 AM, PDT)
- Vera Duckworth was as common as muck – and what fun she had | Barbara Ellen (From The Guardian - TV News. 30 September 2017, 4:05 PM, PDT)
"Strictly Come Dancing" (2004)
- Red Dwarf – The Top 5 Special Guest Stars from the Show’s Smegging History (From Flickeringmyth. 12 October 2017, 6:52 AM, PDT)
- World Zombie Day: London 2017 – Report & Gallery (From Blogomatic3000. 10 October 2017, 8:01 AM, PDT)
- Everything London Dancers Need to Know This October 2017 (From Backstage. 2 October 2017, 6:30 AM, PDT)