Russian President Vladimir Putin must be a big fan of "Cyrano de Bergerac" or just really love scooters, because he has granted French actor Gerard Depardieu Russian citizenship. Depardieu is seeking to leave France because of a planned 75 percent tax on French residents making over 1 million euros that Socialist President Francois Hollande is looking to impose on the country.
Reuters reports that a spokesperson for the Kremlin has confirmed Depardieu applied for Russian citizenship in December. This comes after Putin told reporters at a news conference, "If Gerard really wants to have either a residency permit in Russia or a Russian passport, we will assume that this matter is settled and settled positively."
This isn't the only location the 63-year-old is considering. He reportedly is also thinking of moving to Belgium, where he already has a house, or to Montenegro, where he owns a business. Russia has a flat income tax rate of 13 percent, »
Similar News ItemsVladimir Putin
- Jailed Ukrainian director Oleg Sentsov could be traded in prisoner exchange (From ScreenDaily. 23 November 2015, 2:39 AM, PST)
- Donald Trump Narrowly Avoids a Hairy Situation With Vladimir Putin in Cut ‘SNL’ Sketch (Video) (From The Wrap. 11 November 2015, 5:46 PM, PST)
- Watch: Saturday Night Live Did a Sketch About Trump’s Hair, But It Was Cut for Time (From Vulture. 11 November 2015, 3:38 PM, PST)
- DVD: Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Missing Pimp (From FilmExperience. 10 November 2015, 2:00 PM, PST)
- Gaumont Steps Into Nicloux’s ‘The Wandering’ With Gerard Depardieu (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 6 November 2015, 6:51 AM, PST)
- 25 great movie performances by actors in multiple roles (From Den of Geek. 5 November 2015, 1:41 PM, PST)
Cyrano de Bergerac (1990)
- Cummings Pt.4: Career Peak with Tony Award Win, Acclaimed Mary Tyrone (From Alt Film Guide. 9 November 2015, 10:43 PM, PST)
- Film Review: ‘Families’ (From Variety - Film News. 17 October 2015, 4:24 AM, PDT)
- Jean-Paul Rappeneau Back in Director’s Chair With ‘Families’ (From Variety - Film News. 25 September 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)