Acquisition of Al Gore's cable channel gives al-Jazeera chance to establish a presence where it has had only limited reach
Al-Jazeera, the pan-Arab news network that has struggled to win space on Us cable television, has acquired Current TV, the channel co-founded by former Us vice-president Al Gore.
The deal is intended to give al-Jazeera greater penetration into the Us market. It will close Current and replace it with a new network, al-Jazeera America. Gore will become a member of the new network's advisory board.
Current TV had struggled with viewers but is widely distributed on cable providers and reaches 60 million of the 100 million Us households with cable or satellite service.
But al-Jazeera America will face hurdles with Us distributors and viewers, television industry analysts said.
One of its distributors, Time Warner Cable, which accounted for about 12 million of those homes, announced late on Wednesday it was terminating its carriage deal with Current. »
Similar News Items"Saturday Night Live" (1975)
- Zombieland Was Supposed to Have Patrick Swayze Instead of Bill Murray (From MovieWeb. 28 August 2016, 4:13 PM, PDT)
- 6 Shocking Moments From The Rob Lowe Roast: Jewel Plays Guitar And Ann Coulter Gets It The Worst! (From ET Canada. 28 August 2016, 12:46 PM, PDT)
- Summer Movie Winners and Losers: A Critic’s Round-Up (From Variety - Film News. 28 August 2016, 12:37 PM, PDT)
Fox News Channel [us]
- Donald Trump Talks “Tunnel Technology” And Hillary Clinton As “Bigot” In Interview With Anderson Cooper (From Deadline TV. 25 August 2016, 7:06 PM, PDT)
- Inside Fox News After Roger Ailes: Rupert Murdoch Is Surprisingly Hands-On (From The Wrap. 23 August 2016, 5:45 PM, PDT)
- “Sex-Fueled” Fox News & Roger Ailes Hit With $50M Lawsuit By ‘The Five’ Co-Host Andrea Tantaros (From Deadline TV. 23 August 2016, 8:01 AM, PDT)
Time Warner Cable
- Iggy Azalea, Sam Smith to Headline MTV Video Music Awards Benefit Concert (From The Wrap. 14 August 2014, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- FCC to Consider Whether to Expand Political Ad Disclosure Rules (From Variety - TV News. 7 August 2014, 4:18 PM, PDT)
- FCC Sets Timeline for Review of At&T-DirecTV Merger (From Variety - TV News. 7 August 2014, 11:42 AM, PDT)