Acquisition of Al Gore's cable channel gives al-Jazeera chance to establish a presence where it has had only limited reach
Al-Jazeera, the pan-Arab news network that has struggled to win space on Us cable television, has acquired Current TV, the channel co-founded by former Us vice-president Al Gore.
The deal is intended to give al-Jazeera greater penetration into the Us market. It will close Current and replace it with a new network, al-Jazeera America. Gore will become a member of the new network's advisory board.
Current TV had struggled with viewers but is widely distributed on cable providers and reaches 60 million of the 100 million Us households with cable or satellite service.
But al-Jazeera America will face hurdles with Us distributors and viewers, television industry analysts said.
One of its distributors, Time Warner Cable, which accounted for about 12 million of those homes, announced late on Wednesday it was terminating its carriage deal with Current. »
Similar News Items"Saturday Night Live" (1975)
- Hey Now! The 10 most showstopping Howard Stern interview moments of 2015 (From Hitfix. 27 July 2015, 5:33 PM, PDT)
- Kristen Wiig's weirdest movie is coming to Netflix (From Hitfix. 27 July 2015, 4:34 PM, PDT)
- Graham Phillips On Channeling Colin Jost In ‘Staten Island Summer’ [Exclusive Video] (From Uinterview. 27 July 2015, 3:52 PM, PDT)
Fox News Channel [us]
- Bill Cosby Attorney Takes Attack On Media Coverage To Fox News (From Deadline TV. 22 July 2015, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- Weekly Ratings: Reality Shows, Sports Specials Dominate (From Variety - TV News. 22 July 2015, 5:11 AM, PDT)
- Fox News Channel Lands Biggest Cable Crowd For Fourth Time This Year (From Deadline TV. 21 July 2015, 9:00 AM, PDT)
Time Warner Cable
- Iggy Azalea, Sam Smith to Headline MTV Video Music Awards Benefit Concert (From The Wrap. 14 August 2014, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- FCC to Consider Whether to Expand Political Ad Disclosure Rules (From Variety - TV News. 7 August 2014, 4:18 PM, PDT)
- FCC Sets Timeline for Review of At&T-DirecTV Merger (From Variety - TV News. 7 August 2014, 11:42 AM, PDT)