Note the comments about Don McCullin having already returned from Syria. I cannot fathom how I missed The Times's report on 13 December. Sorry to everyone, including Don.
The award-winning war photographer Don McCullin may be 77 but he refuses to retire. So he is now heading for Aleppo in Syria. Why, to use his phrase, is he about to "sleep in a derelict house and slosh around the Turkish border with poor old refugees?" He explained to The Observer:
"I just want to keep in touch with myself. I don't want to become complacently comfortable."
In an interview in today's Metro, he also says:
"Not many pensioners would take on such a challenge. I want to see what's going on there."
What may prove to be his last assignment comes at a time when a documentary film, called McCullin, is being shown in cinemas. It was made by his former assistant, »
- Roy Greenslade
Similar News ItemsPeter Bradshaw (II)
- Cannes takes on Trump with highly politicised lineup for 2017 film festival (From The Guardian - Film News. 13 April 2017, 3:57 AM, PDT)
- ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Review Roundup: What the Critics Are Saying (From Variety - Film News. 31 March 2017, 2:22 PM, PDT)
- When Meaningful Cinema Is Entertaining (From FilmSchoolRejects. 30 March 2017, 12:52 PM, PDT)
- 'Absolutely Fabulous' exec producer Christian Eisenbeiss dies aged 61 (From ScreenDaily. 12 April 2017, 5:52 AM, PDT)
- Tom Hardy to play war photographer Don McCullin (From Flickeringmyth. 25 June 2016, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- Tom Hardy Will Capture Images of War as Famous Photojournalist Don McCullin (From The Film Stage. 22 June 2016, 5:57 PM, PDT)
Jacqui Morris (II)
- Watch: Photography Exposes the Truth in Exclusive 'McCullin' Trailer (From Indiewire. 27 October 2015, 9:21 AM, PDT)
- AFI Docs To Includes 81 Films, Four World Premieres (From Variety - Film News. 20 May 2015, 6:01 AM, PDT)
- 10 Special Presentations to Look Forward to at the 2015 Hot Docs Fest (From Indiewire. 10 March 2015, 12:24 PM, PDT)