By Joey Magidson
Audiences and critics around the globe love a good comedy. Comedies make you feel good inside and provide you with some temporary happiness and respite from the troubles of the world at large. They’re some of the hardest movies to make, and they’re appreciated by almost everyone.
The lone holdouts? The voters of the Academy Awards.
Since 1977, when the Woody Allen comedy Annie Hall won Best Picture, exactly zero full-on comedies have won the Oscar. Yes, Allen’s film had dramedy elements to it, but it was far more of a comedy than last year’s winner, The Artist, which would probably be the closest thing we’ve had since then to a comedic winner. Others in that sort of hybrid realm include American Beauty, Driving Miss Daisy, Forrest Gump, Shakespeare in Love and Terms of Endearment.
This year we have an unusually »
- Joey Magidson
Similar News ItemsWoody Allen
- Film Review: Old Hollywood Glamour in Woody Allen’s ‘Café Society’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 23 July 2016, 6:37 AM, PDT)
- New Sausage Party red band trailer and Q & A with Seth Rogen (From Cineplex. 22 July 2016, 12:41 PM, PDT)
- ‘Sausage Party’: Seth Rogen’s ‘R-Rated Pixar Movie’ Devours Comic-Con (From Variety - Film News. 22 July 2016, 11:03 AM, PDT)
David O. Russell
- IndieWire Turns 20: An Oral History of Supporting Filmmakers and Partying at Sundance From Those Who Lived It (From Indiewire. 14 July 2016, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Syfy Renews 12 Monkeys for a Third Season (From DailyDead. 29 June 2016, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- Jennifer Lawrence Teaming With Adam McKay on Theranos Medical Drama (From The Hollywood Reporter. 9 June 2016, 1:18 PM, PDT)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
- 14 Sexy Photos of Mike Colter to Kick-Start Your New Superhero Crush (From Popsugar. 22 July 2016, 11:25 AM, PDT)
- Mark Boal sues Us government over Bowe Bergdahl tapes (From ScreenDaily. 22 July 2016, 11:07 AM, PDT)
- ‘Hurt Locker’ Writer Mark Boal Sues to Stop Subpoena of Bowe Bergdahl ‘Serial’ Tapes (From The Wrap. 21 July 2016, 1:38 PM, PDT)