Julie Andrews in Austria: hardly an unfamiliar sight, both in movie history and now on New Year's Day.
The Oscar, Emmy and Grammy winner filmed one of her most famous roles in that country, Maria in the 1965 screen classic "The Sound of Music." Along with her elegant and cultured image, that made her a natural to succeed the late Walter Cronkite as host of PBS' traditional "Great Performances" broadcast of the Vienna Philharmonic's holiday concert, and she'll fill that role for the fourth time when "From Vienna: The New Year's Celebration 2013" airs Tuesday, Jan. 1 (check local listings).
"I love doing it," the ever-gracious Andrews tells Zap2it. "The PBS people are very nice, they do this with class and style, and we do something different every year. It's always a learning curve for me, going to new places and finding out about them. And of course, the music is lovely. »
Similar News ItemsMary Poppins (1964)
- ‘Paddington': Potential Game-Changer For Studiocanal; Euro Major Bares Ambition (From Deadline New York. 28 November 2014, 7:59 AM, PST)
- Paddington review: A delightfully British gem (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 27 November 2014, 1:30 AM, PST)
- ‘Redrum: The Unauthorized Musical Parody of The Shining’ to Hit the Stage Next Fall (From DailyDead. 21 November 2014, 10:09 AM, PST)
Julie Andrews (I)
- NBC Hopes ‘Peter Pan Live’ Can Fly to New Heights (From Variety - TV News. 26 November 2014, 10:30 AM, PST)
- Miss Meadows | Review (From ioncinema. 14 November 2014, 1:00 PM, PST)
- 26 Moments From The Princess Diaries That You Will Never Forget (From BuzzSugar. 11 November 2014, 4:03 PM, PST)
Blake Edwards (I)
- From 'Psycho' to 'Gone Girl': the best director/composer teams (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 5 October 2014, 7:54 AM, PDT)
- The Party | Blu-ray Review (From ioncinema. 23 September 2014, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- New on Blu-ray DVD September 9: 'Captain America,' 'Homeland,' 'Supernatural' (From Moviefone. 9 September 2014, 2:00 AM, PDT)