Despite being twice Oscar nominated, for Ray in 2004 and then Dreamgirls and 2006, costume designer Sharen Davis has yet to win the big one. She ticks a lot of the Academy’s boxes too: period clothes, stage wear, real life people. However, Ms. Davis is not just about history and glamour, her work is thoughtful, detailed and appropriate to tone.
Django Unchained is the first time Sharen Davis has worked with Quentin Tarantino, as generally he favours using different costume designers depending on the project. Yet on this evidence the director is likely to employ her services again. The date may be 1859, the location America’s deep south, but this is costume not re-enactment. As such the film has a flavour of the Old West (or rather South) with clever character notes and delicate use of colour.
- Chris Laverty
Similar News ItemsLeonardo DiCaprio
- Movie News: Scorsese, DiCaprio, De Niro Touted for 'Killers of the Flower Moon'; Margot Robbie to Play Queen Elizabeth (From Movies.com. 24 April 2017, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- 9 Fun Facts About Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire's 30-Year Friendship (From Popsugar. 24 April 2017, 2:20 PM, PDT)
- Find Someone Who Looks at You the Way Jonah Hill Looks at Leonardo DiCaprio (From Popsugar. 24 April 2017, 2:08 PM, PDT)
Samuel L. Jackson
- Chris Pratt on ‘Captain Marvel’ and Renewing His Contract with Marvel Studios (From Slash Film. 25 April 2017, 12:00 PM, PDT)
- Brie Larson on Her Cash-Strapped Early Years: I Was ‘Living Off Food in the Film-Festival Welcome Bags’ (From PEOPLE.com. 25 April 2017, 10:11 AM, PDT)
- Suit up! The new trailer for Kingsman: The Golden Circle has arrived (From HeyUGuys. 24 April 2017, 11:19 PM, PDT)
- The Most Disappointing Year in Movies (From FilmSchoolRejects. 25 April 2017, 10:02 AM, PDT)
- Netflix Original Films: Coming Soon to a Theater Near You? (From FilmSchoolRejects. 25 April 2017, 8:59 AM, PDT)
- Turnabout: Pop Culture Homages to Quentin Tarantino (From FilmSchoolRejects. 24 April 2017, 2:01 PM, PDT)