From MTV News
A hobbit, 13 dwarves, and a wizard ruled the weekend box office once again, but a secret agent grabbed just as many headlines.
Though "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" topped ticket sales, "Skyfall" made history by becoming the first film in the 007 series to cross the $1 billion mark. The previous record-holder for the franchise, "Casino Royale," earned $600 million, a measly sum by comparison.
Elsewhere, the "Lord of the Rings" prequel continued its hot streak, adding $32.9 million to its current domestic total of $222.7 million.
The two debuts from the holiday, "Les Miserables" and "Django," both performed admirably. The adaptation of the mega-musical sits at $67 million, while Quentin Tarantino's historical revenge fantasy has earned $64 million to date.
Head over to MTV News from your full box office breakdown.
- Kevin P. Sullivan
Similar News ItemsQuentin Tarantino
- A Sight for Sounds: Moments in Movies Instantly Elevated by the Use of Music (From HeyUGuys. 28 April 2017, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- Great Uses of Songs in Movies: “Girl You’ll Be a Woman Soon” in the Movie “Pulp Fiction” (From TVovermind.com. 27 April 2017, 2:30 PM, PDT)
- Film Review: 'Free Fire' Knows That Happiness is a Warm Gun (From HollywoodChicago.com. 26 April 2017, 12:29 PM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Mortal Engines Reunites Hugo Weaving with Peter Jackson (From MovieWeb. 12 April 2017, 5:11 PM, PDT)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Soars Past $400 Million Worldwide (From We Got This Covered. 23 December 2016, 10:46 AM, PST)
- ‘Rogue One’ Dominates Foreign Box Office With $135.5 Million Debut (From Variety - Film News. 18 December 2016, 1:33 PM, PST)
Casino Royale (2006)
- Sony Distribution Chief Rory Bruer Retires After 40 Years at Studio (From Variety - Film News. 27 April 2017, 10:15 AM, PDT)
- Review: "The Wonderful Country" (1959) Starring Robert Mitchum; Kino Lorber Blu-ray Release (From CinemaRetro. 26 April 2017, 6:40 AM, PDT)
- Dave Bautista Wants to Return in James Bond 25 (From MovieWeb. 25 April 2017, 5:06 PM, PDT)