With all the hype surrounding the release of "Les Misérables" on Christmas day, many movie fans expected the Tom Hooper musical to cruise to the top spot at the box office this weekend. But "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" upset the apple cart, earning its third box office title in a row with an estimated $32.9 million according to Film.com.
That's not to say that "Les Misérables" was a disappointment, as Hugh Jackman and company finished with a solid $28 million for the weekend. But that amount still left it behind both "The Hobbit" and Quentin Tarantino's bloodsoaked revenge epic "Django Unchained," which brought in $30.7 million.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsHugh Jackman
- Kathy Griffin Goes Nude for Als Challenge Video (From TooFab. 31 August 2014, 8:22 AM, PDT)
- 12 lessons we learned from 2014's summer movies (From EW.com - PopWatch. 30 August 2014, 7:05 AM, PDT)
- Cosplay: Resha Crumpler As Elektra, Supergirl & X-Men's Storm (From ComicBookMovie. 29 August 2014, 2:05 PM, PDT)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Remains First at Box Office, New Releases Underperform (From Worst Previews. 31 August 2014, 7:59 PM, PDT)
- Jump Scares: Option Or Obsession? (From Icons of Fright. 30 August 2014, 10:45 AM, PDT)
- Life of Crime Doesn’t Transcend Its Haphazard Story (From Vulture. 29 August 2014, 12:00 PM, PDT)
Django Unchained (2012)
- Watch: Every Gunshot from Quentin Tarantino's Movies (From Rope Of Silicon. 1 September 2014, 10:35 AM, PDT)
- First Look at Christoph Waltz and Margo Robbie in Tarzan, From Harry Potter Director (From Worst Previews. 30 August 2014, 4:28 AM, PDT)
- First look at Margot Robbie’s Jane Porter in David Yates’ Tarzan (From Flickeringmyth. 30 August 2014, 3:40 AM, PDT)