He brought dance to everyone, using his company, the Joffrey Ballet, as ambassadors of dance, traveling the country, putting on shows.
It's not an overstatement to say that Robert Joffrey revolutionized dance in America.
"I always thought it was important to represent the country, to use American music," Joffrey says in the film.
He went beyond traditional ballet, which many found effete and difficult to embrace. He set dance to contemporary music, but used basic ballet moves, melded with modern dance. His choreography was modern, but not so abstract that it shut out audiences for being too avant-garde.
Dancers quoted Joffrey as saying, »
Similar News Items"Dancing with the Stars" (2005/I)
- ABC 2014-15 Season Ratings (updated 1/30/15) (From TVSeriesFinale. 30 January 2015, 1:34 PM, PST)
- 6 Male Stars Who Lost a Shocking Amount of Weight (From Entertainment Tonight. 28 January 2015, 2:30 PM, PST)
- 2014-15 TV Show Season Ratings (week 18) (From TVSeriesFinale. 27 January 2015, 4:22 PM, PST)
"So You Think You Can Dance" (2005)
- Paula Abdul Jokes She Was "Abused" on American Idol, Gushes About Sytycd Predecessor Mary Murphy (From Us Weekly. 29 January 2015, 12:51 AM, PST)
- Get Your First Look at the New So You Think You Can Dance Judges Table! (From E! Online. 27 January 2015, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Paula Abdul, Jason Derulo Feel at Home on 'So You Think You Can Dance' (From Entertainment Tonight. 26 January 2015, 3:33 PM, PST)
- Win Tickets To The Princess Bride At B&B Theatre’s February Retro Night (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 29 January 2015, 12:36 PM, PST)
- DVD Review: 'Wish I Was Here' (From CineVue. 27 January 2015, 3:06 PM, PST)
- The Great Digital Film Festival presents the Detective Movie Quiz (From Cineplex. 26 January 2015, 7:30 AM, PST)