Promised Land is the third collaboration between the Good Will Hunting duo – writer/star Matt Damon and director Gus Van Sant – who last united ten years ago on the divisive lyrical experiment Gerry. Damon plays Steve Butler, a rural town native-turned successful natural gas corporate salesman. He’s the antithesis of a Frank Capra protagonist, whose naivety and innocence makes them susceptible to cynicism in the face of corporate interests (see: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington). That Steve starts disillusioned is one of the film’s problems, for reasons that will be explained later.
Steve’s on the verge of a promotion when he and partner Sue Thomason (Frances McDormand) head to rural Pennsylvania, anticipating an easy job convincing locals to sell their properties for drilling rights. However, that’s before encountering such unexpected obstacles as a distinguished high school teacher (Hal Holbrook), whose respectability and ...
Click to continue reading »
- Sandy Schaefer
Similar News ItemsMatt Damon
- Project Greenlight Producer Chris Moore Remembers the Show, Matt, Ben, and Breakout Star Shia Labeouf (From Vulture. 6 March 2014, 6:52 AM, PST)
- Late-Night Wars: The New Gauge of Success (From The Hollywood Reporter. 6 March 2014, 5:00 AM, PST)
- Terry Gilliam’s The Zero Theorem Set For Release This Summer (From We Got This Covered. 5 March 2014, 6:13 PM, PST)
Gus Van Sant
- James Franco Gets His Own Film Festival at New York's IFC Center (From Indiewire. 27 February 2014, 10:23 AM, PST)
- Steven Soderbergh Unveils an Epic Mashup of 'Psycho' and its Remake (From FEARnet. 27 February 2014, 8:30 AM, PST)
- Here's What Steven Soderbergh's Version of 'Psycho' Looks Like (From Movies.com. 26 February 2014, 2:00 PM, PST)
- AFI Award Winner and One of Australia's Top Actresses Has Died: Wendy Hughes (From Alt Film Guide. 8 March 2014, 5:59 PM, PST)
- Transformers: Age Of Extinction – 10 Reasons We’re Freaking Out (From Obsessed with Film. 7 March 2014, 8:39 AM, PST)
- You Betcha: 'Fargo' Arriving on Newly Remastered Blu-ray (From Thompson on Hollywood. 5 March 2014, 10:22 AM, PST)