Promised Land is the third collaboration between the Good Will Hunting duo – writer/star Matt Damon and director Gus Van Sant – who last united ten years ago on the divisive lyrical experiment Gerry. Damon plays Steve Butler, a rural town native-turned successful natural gas corporate salesman. He’s the antithesis of a Frank Capra protagonist, whose naivety and innocence makes them susceptible to cynicism in the face of corporate interests (see: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington). That Steve starts disillusioned is one of the film’s problems, for reasons that will be explained later.
Steve’s on the verge of a promotion when he and partner Sue Thomason (Frances McDormand) head to rural Pennsylvania, anticipating an easy job convincing locals to sell their properties for drilling rights. However, that’s before encountering such unexpected obstacles as a distinguished high school teacher (Hal Holbrook), whose respectability and ...
Click to continue reading »
- Sandy Schaefer
Similar News ItemsMatt Damon
- UTA Signs NFL Network Stalwart Rich Eisen (From Deadline TV. 25 October 2016, 3:35 PM, PDT)
- Ocean's Eight First Look at Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett (From MovieWeb. 25 October 2016, 1:32 PM, PDT)
- Special Feature: The Future of Bourne (From CineVue. 25 October 2016, 6:43 AM, PDT)
Gus Van Sant
- Hungarian Master Béla Tarr to Preside Marrakech Film Festival Jury (From Variety - Film News. 20 October 2016, 6:23 AM, PDT)
- Gus Van Sant on Making ‘To Die For’ and ‘Good Will Hunting’ With Casey Affleck (From Variety - Film News. 18 October 2016, 11:04 AM, PDT)
- How Casey Affleck Found the Role of a Lifetime in ‘Manchester by the Sea’ (From Variety - Film News. 18 October 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- 7 Films New to Netflix to Watch In November 2016, Including ‘Boyhood’ and ‘The Jungle Book’ (From Indiewire. 20 October 2016, 12:15 PM, PDT)
- Glenn Close is "The Wife" (From FilmExperience. 20 October 2016, 8:28 AM, PDT)
- Holly Hunter Explains Why It Took Her So Long to Return to Movies — Hamptons Film Festival (From Indiewire. 12 October 2016, 12:45 PM, PDT)