By Roger Ebert
A funny thing happened on the way to the Oscars. Not to the Oscars. To me. I sustained a hairline fracture of my left hip. I didn't fall. I didn't break it. It just sort of...happened to itself. Most of the time, it causes me no pain at all. But my left leg won't bear any weight, nor can I walk on it. This pain is off the charts. It has nothing to do with cancer. It's plain bad luck.
The good news is that I've seen the films of one of the best recent years in cinema. I wrote more than 300 reviews in 2012--a record--and it was unusually difficult to leave out many of the quote-unquote films in 11th place.
Here are the Best Ten Films I saw in 2012:
1. • "Argo." This film takes first place on my best movie list because it is above all else a movie--pure, »
- Roger Ebert
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Interview: Scott Frank Talks 'A Walk Among the Tombstones,' The Western He's Dying To Make, And More (From The Playlist. 19 September 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘Godzilla’ Sequel To Be Scripted By Max Borenstein (From Deadline New York. 18 September 2014, 5:22 PM, PDT)
- DreamWorks Taps Lyndsay Harding as CFO (From Variety - Film News. 18 September 2014, 12:13 PM, PDT)
- Wild Tales, Gone Girl bookend Athens (From ScreenDaily. 17 September 2014, 8:11 AM, PDT)
- Video On Demand: Five Great New Releases You Can Now Watch (From SoundOnSight. 15 September 2014, 7:55 PM, PDT)
- Examining 'American Beauty' at 15: A masterpiece, or a farce? (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 15 September 2014, 10:15 AM, PDT)
- ‘Maze Runner’ Sequel to Hit Theaters in 2015 (From Variety - Film News. 21 September 2014, 9:33 AM, PDT)
- Fantastic Fest Preview: 10 Must-See Films (From Thompson on Hollywood. 17 September 2014, 1:46 PM, PDT)
- Hollywood A-List Stars Share Annoying Things Fans Say to Them in Public (Video) (From The Wrap. 17 September 2014, 9:26 AM, PDT)