Klugman died Monday afternoon in his Northridge, Calif., home, his son, Adam, told The Associated Press
Born in Philadelphia, Klugman began acting after he was discharged from the Army in 1945. He started on the stage in a Broadway revival of Golden Boy in 1952 and eventually scored his first film role in 1957 as Juror No. 5 in the seminal Sidney Lumet film 12 Angry Men.
From there, Klugman went on to make hundreds of appearances on live television anthology series in the 1950s, including Playhouse 90 and Studio One. He also made four appearances on The Twilight Zone.
Klugman's most famous role was as Oscar Madison, the sloppy roommate of Tony Randall's uptight Felix Unger on the ABC sitcom The Odd Couple, which ran from 1970 to 1975. Klugman, who had previously replaced Walther Matthau on the Broadway production of The Odd Couple, won two Emmys and a Golden Globe for his performance.
A year after The Odd Couple ended, Klugman starred on the NBC forensic drama Quincy, M.E. as the title character, a tough medical examiner who solved crimes. The show aired until 1983
Read More > »
- Robyn Ross
Similar News Items"The Twilight Zone" (1959)
- Mon-El’s return to Supergirl comes with a timey wimey twist (From The AV Club. 20 November 2017, 8:35 PM, PST)
- ‘Get Out’ and the Golden Globes: A Lesson Not to Laugh At (From Variety - Film News. 19 November 2017, 10:27 AM, PST)
- The Orville Season 1 Episode 10 Review – ‘Firestorm’ (From Flickeringmyth. 18 November 2017, 7:44 AM, PST)
- Nick Nolte Reflects on What Acting’s Meant for Him Ahead of Walk of Fame Honor (From Variety - Film News. 20 November 2017, 10:00 AM, PST)
- How we made the original Murder on the Orient Express (From The Guardian - Film News. 13 November 2017, 7:40 AM, PST)
- Murder On The Orient Express – Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 10 November 2017, 6:33 AM, PST)
- Flickering Myth Film Class: How To Do An Ensemble Film (From Flickeringmyth. 20 September 2017, 7:45 AM, PDT)
- More Gay Stars and Directors and Screenwriters on TCM: From psychos and psychiatrists to surfers and stage mamas (From Alt Film Guide. 22 June 2017, 6:51 PM, PDT)
- Movies to Show My Son: ’12 Angry Men’ (From Blogomatic3000. 19 June 2017, 4:01 AM, PDT)