Klugman died Monday afternoon in his Northridge, Calif., home, his son, Adam, told The Associated Press
Born in Philadelphia, Klugman began acting after he was discharged from the Army in 1945. He started on the stage in a Broadway revival of Golden Boy in 1952 and eventually scored his first film role in 1957 as Juror No. 5 in the seminal Sidney Lumet film 12 Angry Men.
From there, Klugman went on to make hundreds of appearances on live television anthology series in the 1950s, including Playhouse 90 and Studio One. He also made four appearances on The Twilight Zone.
Klugman's most famous role was as Oscar Madison, the sloppy roommate of Tony Randall's uptight Felix Unger on the ABC sitcom The Odd Couple, which ran from 1970 to 1975. Klugman, who had previously replaced Walther Matthau on the Broadway production of The Odd Couple, won two Emmys and a Golden Globe for his performance.
A year after The Odd Couple ended, Klugman starred on the NBC forensic drama Quincy, M.E. as the title character, a tough medical examiner who solved crimes. The show aired until 1983
Read More > »
- Robyn Ross
Similar News Items"Twilight Zone" (1959)
- Bagged and Boarded Comic Reviews: Zombie Archie, Tweaking Producers and More! (From FEARnet. 7 March 2014, 2:30 PM, PST)
- Ten of the Creepiest Book Covers from R.L. Stine's 'Goosebumps' (From FEARnet. 6 March 2014, 2:00 PM, PST)
- Harlan Ellison Star Trek Original Series Teleplay to Be Released as Comic Miniseries (From ScifiMafia. 6 March 2014, 1:00 PM, PST)
- The James Clayton Column: Wes Anderson and auteurs with an identity (From Den of Geek. 6 March 2014, 12:00 AM, PST)
- James Gandolfini: Academy pays tribute at 2014 Oscars (From The Guardian - Film News. 2 March 2014, 7:54 PM, PST)
- Serpico DVD review – Philip French on one of New York's grittiest cop films (From The Guardian - Film News. 1 March 2014, 4:06 PM, PST)
- Matthew Perry's 'Odd Couple' gets pilot order at CBS (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 25 February 2014, 10:30 PM, PST)
- Matthew Perry’s ‘Odd Couple’ Comedy Reboot Gets CBS Pilot Order (From Deadline TV. 25 February 2014, 2:00 PM, PST)
- Matthew Perry's 'Odd Couple' remake gets pilot order (From EW.com - Inside TV. 25 February 2014, 2:00 PM, PST)