Klugman died Monday afternoon in his Northridge, Calif., home, his son, Adam, told The Associated Press
Born in Philadelphia, Klugman began acting after he was discharged from the Army in 1945. He started on the stage in a Broadway revival of Golden Boy in 1952 and eventually scored his first film role in 1957 as Juror No. 5 in the seminal Sidney Lumet film 12 Angry Men.
From there, Klugman went on to make hundreds of appearances on live television anthology series in the 1950s, including Playhouse 90 and Studio One. He also made four appearances on The Twilight Zone.
Klugman's most famous role was as Oscar Madison, the sloppy roommate of Tony Randall's uptight Felix Unger on the ABC sitcom The Odd Couple, which ran from 1970 to 1975. Klugman, who had previously replaced Walther Matthau on the Broadway production of The Odd Couple, won two Emmys and a Golden Globe for his performance.
A year after The Odd Couple ended, Klugman starred on the NBC forensic drama Quincy, M.E. as the title character, a tough medical examiner who solved crimes. The show aired until 1983
Read More > »
- Robyn Ross
Similar News Items"The Twilight Zone" (1959)
- Daily Dead’s 2015 Holiday Gift Guide & Giveaways: Day Two- More Black Friday Deals & Gift Ideas for Everyone! (From DailyDead. 27 November 2015, 3:19 PM, PST)
- Watch: Steve Desmond's 'Twilight Zone'-Style Sci-Fi Short 'Monsters' (From FirstShowing.net. 25 November 2015, 2:58 PM, PST)
- Editorial: An In Depth Look At Why TV’s Scream Queens Matters by Leonel VHS (From Icons of Fright. 25 November 2015, 2:34 PM, PST)
- ‘Creed’: Can Stallone Make History? (From Scott Feinberg. 25 November 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)
- Composer Carter Burwell on 'Carol' and the Coen Brothers (From Rolling Stone. 21 November 2015, 9:55 AM, PST)
- Kenneth Branagh to Direct and Star in Murder on the Orient Express in a Rare Case of the Obvious Suspect Doing It (From Vulture. 21 November 2015, 7:22 AM, PST)
- The Odd Couple: Original Series Creator Cast in CBS Remake (From TVSeriesFinale. 23 November 2015, 7:41 PM, PST)
- Al Molinaro, Star of 'Happy Days,' Dies at 96 (From The Hollywood Reporter. 30 October 2015, 6:50 PM, PDT)
- Matthew Perry on 'dream-come-true' role as Oscar Madison on 'The Odd Couple' [Exclusive Video] (From Gold Derby. 17 June 2015, 4:30 AM, PDT)