By Joey Magidson
It’s no secret that the average age of an Academy member is up there. The running joke of the ceremony, in fact, is that the Oscars are solely voted on by older white men — while that’s not completely true, it’s not far off, either.
Earlier this year, the Los Angeles Times did an exposé of sorts that revealed just how much of the Academy is in this particular bracket. The piece found that Oscar voters are overwhelmingly white and male, with the average age of an Academy member at around 62 years old.
This begs the question of how voters deal with films that speak directly to them. Michael Haneke’s Amour will certainly be a litmus test of sorts this year in regard to this potential bias. The subject matter is admittedly tough, though, which complicates things a bit.
If the Academy »
- Joey Magidson
Similar News ItemsChristopher Plummer (I)
- Simon Pegg and Director Peter Chelsom Talk Hector And The Search For Happiness, Script Changes, Guerilla-Style Filmmaking, Tiff, and More (From Collider.com. 19 September 2014, 9:54 AM, PDT)
- Win Passes to An Advance Screening of Hector and the Search for Happiness (From CinemaNerdz. 17 September 2014, 9:01 PM, PDT)
- Rosamund Pike Talks Hector And The Search For Happiness, Working with Simon Pegg, the Film’s UK Response, David Fincher, and More (From Collider.com. 17 September 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Variety Critics Pick the Best Films of Venice, Telluride and Toronto (From Variety - Film News. 15 September 2014, 11:47 AM, PDT)
- First Look: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt swept away in romantic drama 'By the Sea' (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 15 September 2014, 10:17 AM, PDT)
- Camerimage to honour late Jerzy Lipman (From ScreenDaily. 12 September 2014, 5:03 AM, PDT)
- Matt Damon To Star In Kenneth Lonergan's Third Film 'Manchester-by-the-Sea' (From LatinoReview. 9 September 2014, 12:20 AM, PDT)
- Kenneth Lonergan Returns With Manchester-By-The-Sea Starring Matt Damon (From We Got This Covered. 8 September 2014, 11:36 AM, PDT)
- 'Margaret' Director Kenneth Lonergan Returning With 'Manchester-by-the-Sea' Starring Matt Damon (From The Playlist. 8 September 2014, 6:05 AM, PDT)