By Joey Magidson
It’s no secret that the average age of an Academy member is up there. The running joke of the ceremony, in fact, is that the Oscars are solely voted on by older white men — while that’s not completely true, it’s not far off, either.
Earlier this year, the Los Angeles Times did an exposé of sorts that revealed just how much of the Academy is in this particular bracket. The piece found that Oscar voters are overwhelmingly white and male, with the average age of an Academy member at around 62 years old.
This begs the question of how voters deal with films that speak directly to them. Michael Haneke’s Amour will certainly be a litmus test of sorts this year in regard to this potential bias. The subject matter is admittedly tough, though, which complicates things a bit.
If the Academy »
- Joey Magidson
Similar News ItemsChristopher Plummer (I)
- Cannes: Xavier Gens Readies Female Action Thriller ‘Little Mizz Innocent’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 16 May 2015, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Cannes: Remakes on the Table at Network Talk (From Variety - Film News. 16 May 2015, 5:26 AM, PDT)
- Week in Review: Cannes ’15 Pickups Coming Soon (From SoundOnSight. 15 May 2015, 10:49 AM, PDT)
- Cannes: Cinéfondation Short Film Winners Announced, Taissa Farmiga-Starring 'Share' Takes Top Prize (From Indiewire. 22 May 2015, 8:27 AM, PDT)
- Cannes Film Review: ‘Chronic’ (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2015, 5:35 AM, PDT)
- Cannes chief talks approach to female filmmakers (From ScreenDaily. 21 May 2015, 12:04 PM, PDT)
- Ian McKellen's Mr Holmes is being sued by Sherlock Holmes creator's estate (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 22 May 2015, 7:48 PM, PDT)
- Tmnt: New Set Pics Feature Stephen Amell In Costume As 'Casey Jones' (From ComicBookMovie. 21 May 2015, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Krang set to feature in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2? (From Flickeringmyth. 20 May 2015, 4:30 AM, PDT)