By Joey Magidson
It’s no secret that the average age of an Academy member is up there. The running joke of the ceremony, in fact, is that the Oscars are solely voted on by older white men — while that’s not completely true, it’s not far off, either.
Earlier this year, the Los Angeles Times did an exposé of sorts that revealed just how much of the Academy is in this particular bracket. The piece found that Oscar voters are overwhelmingly white and male, with the average age of an Academy member at around 62 years old.
This begs the question of how voters deal with films that speak directly to them. Michael Haneke’s Amour will certainly be a litmus test of sorts this year in regard to this potential bias. The subject matter is admittedly tough, though, which complicates things a bit.
If the Academy »
- Joey Magidson
Similar News ItemsChristopher Plummer (I)
- Jessica's Long Journey to that Triple Crown (From FilmExperience. 24 June 2016, 1:30 PM, PDT)
- The Greatest Human-Animal Relationships in Cinema (From The Film Stage. 23 June 2016, 9:28 AM, PDT)
- John Travolta: examining his recent straight to DVD movies (From Den of Geek. 12 June 2016, 2:24 PM, PDT)
- Krysty Wilson-Cairns to pen screenplay for The Voyeur's Motel by Anne-Katrin Titze - 2016-06-27 16:10:33 (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 27 June 2016, 8:10 AM, PDT)
- Movie Review: Genius (From CinemaNerdz. 21 June 2016, 11:21 AM, PDT)
- Arthouse Audit: ‘Tickled’ Leads Long List of Modest Openers (From Indiewire. 19 June 2016, 10:38 AM, PDT)
- Michael Haneke’s New Film ‘Happy End’ Is Now Filming, Mathieu Kassovitz Confirmed To Join Cast (From The Playlist. 27 June 2016, 9:05 AM, PDT)
- Kassovitz Joins Haneke's "Happy End" (From Dark Horizons. 27 June 2016, 9:01 AM, PDT)
- Michael Haneke’s Calais-set 'Happy End' secures deals as shoot begins (From ScreenDaily. 27 June 2016, 4:11 AM, PDT)