By Joey Magidson
It’s no secret that the average age of an Academy member is up there. The running joke of the ceremony, in fact, is that the Oscars are solely voted on by older white men — while that’s not completely true, it’s not far off, either.
Earlier this year, the Los Angeles Times did an exposé of sorts that revealed just how much of the Academy is in this particular bracket. The piece found that Oscar voters are overwhelmingly white and male, with the average age of an Academy member at around 62 years old.
This begs the question of how voters deal with films that speak directly to them. Michael Haneke’s Amour will certainly be a litmus test of sorts this year in regard to this potential bias. The subject matter is admittedly tough, though, which complicates things a bit.
If the Academy »
- Joey Magidson
Similar News ItemsChristopher Plummer (I)
- Holt McCallany, Peter Fonda Starring in Comedy ‘Ogilvy Fortune’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 25 August 2016, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Steven Hill, D.A. Adam Schiff on ‘Law & Order,’ Dies at 94 (From Variety - Film News. 23 August 2016, 9:33 AM, PDT)
- Steven Hill, D.A. Adam Schiff on ‘Law & Order,’ Dies at 94 (From Variety - TV News. 23 August 2016, 9:33 AM, PDT)
- New trailers for Rings, La La Land and Manchester by the Sea make our weekly news round-up! (From Cineplex. 26 August 2016, 1:27 PM, PDT)
- ‘Miracle on the Hudson’ featurette for Clint Eastwood’s Sully (From Flickeringmyth. 25 August 2016, 6:15 PM, PDT)
- Lip Sync Battle Plots Live Special With Olivia Munn and More 'All-Stars' (From TVLine.com. 24 August 2016, 10:33 AM, PDT)
- ‘Mia Madre’ Is A Moving, Sensitive Return To Form For Director Nanni Moretti [Review] (From The Playlist. 26 August 2016, 1:15 PM, PDT)
- Michael Haneke’s ‘Happy End’ is an Ensemble Film With “No Psychology,” Says Isabelle Huppert (From The Film Stage. 25 August 2016, 6:35 AM, PDT)
- Mulholland Drive Tops BBC's 100 Best Movies of the 21st Century List (From MovieWeb. 23 August 2016, 12:21 PM, PDT)