By Joey Magidson
It’s no secret that the average age of an Academy member is up there. The running joke of the ceremony, in fact, is that the Oscars are solely voted on by older white men — while that’s not completely true, it’s not far off, either.
Earlier this year, the Los Angeles Times did an exposé of sorts that revealed just how much of the Academy is in this particular bracket. The piece found that Oscar voters are overwhelmingly white and male, with the average age of an Academy member at around 62 years old.
This begs the question of how voters deal with films that speak directly to them. Michael Haneke’s Amour will certainly be a litmus test of sorts this year in regard to this potential bias. The subject matter is admittedly tough, though, which complicates things a bit.
If the Academy »
- Joey Magidson
Similar News ItemsChristopher Plummer (I)
- Oaz Makes Daniel Abrams A Partner (From Deadline. 22 June 2017, 12:31 PM, PDT)
- Oaz Makes Daniel Abrams A Partner (From Deadline TV. 22 June 2017, 12:31 PM, PDT)
- Simon Beaufoy to Adapt ‘In the Skin of a Lion’ From ‘English Patient’ Author (From Variety - Film News. 19 June 2017, 8:36 AM, PDT)
- Newswire: Here’s what’s coming to (and leaving from) Netflix in July (From The AV Club. 21 June 2017, 9:43 AM, PDT)
- Cross-Post: Lillian Hellman’s Regina Giddens: The Theatre’s Original “Nasty Woman” (From Women and Hollywood. 20 June 2017, 2:01 PM, PDT)
- ‘Permission’ With Rebecca Hall and Dan Stevens Scores Worldwide Sales (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 15 June 2017, 4:45 AM, PDT)
- Oscars at the Halfway Mark: ‘Logan,’ ‘Get Out’ and Women Directors (From Variety - Film News. 22 June 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Bypassed Palme d'Or Contenders Academy Award Chances? From Haneke's Latest to Pattinson Thriller (From Alt Film Guide. 20 June 2017, 8:14 PM, PDT)
- More Cannes Winners: Diane Kruger to Become the New Isabelle Huppert + Best Director Coppola Oscar Chances? (From Alt Film Guide. 20 June 2017, 8:05 PM, PDT)