Tampa, Fla. — A Florida juror who voted to convict Jamaican reggae singer Buju Banton on drug charges has denied improperly researching the case during trial, despite a weekly newspaper's report that quoted her as saying that she did.
Banton is serving a 10-year prison sentence for his convictions on cocaine conspiracy and trafficking charges stemming from a 2009 arrest. The Grammy winner faces an additional five years for his conviction on a related gun possession charge, but his resentencing hearing was postponed to investigate the report of juror misconduct.
Banton's attorneys have filed a motion in Tampa federal court seeking a new trial. If granted, it would be the second mistrial for Banton, whose first trial in 2010 ended with jurors deadlocked. He was convicted in 2011 in his second trial.
U.S. District Judge James Moody reserved judgment Thursday on the defense motion.
Jurors were told during the trial not to do »
Similar News ItemsBuju Banton
- Buju Banton gun conviction scrapped over juror's criminal intent (From Pop2it. 30 June 2013, 7:50 PM, PDT)
- Morning Meme: Adam Lambert Under New Management, Esurance Endows The Trevor Project and Elvira's Beauty Tips (From The Backlot. 9 August 2011, 4:16 AM, PDT)
- Buju Banton sentenced to 10 years in prison in drug case (From Pop2it. 23 June 2011, 5:53 PM, PDT)
James Preston (II)
- Screamfest La 2013 Exclusive: Samuel Gonzalez Jr. and Arielle Brachfeld Talk the World Premiere of Woodland Heights (From Dread Central. 9 October 2013, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Giveaway: Win Joshua Tree, 1951: A Portrait of James Dean on DVD (From MovieWeb. 6 June 2013, 8:34 AM, PDT)
- DVD Review: 'A Portrait of James Dean' (From CineVue. 14 May 2013, 1:56 PM, PDT)
James Moody (III)
- Austin, TX May Be Getting An Epic Statue (From FEARnet. 5 June 2014, 12:32 PM, PDT)
- Buju Banton Asks Judge To Reconsider Drug Sentence (From Huffington Post. 28 October 2012, 7:09 AM, PDT)
- Run-d.M.C. to Reunite at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin, Texas (From The Hollywood Reporter. 10 July 2012, 3:38 PM, PDT)