The veteran photographer discusses the violence of his early years, celebrity culture – and why he's off to a war zone at 77
In the documentary that's just been made about your work – McCullin – you say you've had enough of war, yet by the time this interview is published you will have been to Syria.
I know. I'm going to cover the war in Aleppo. I'm pestered from morning to night in Somerset and I just want to get away from it.
You could go to the Caribbean instead.
I'd be even more bored. I haven't been to Syria for a decade, since the Gulf war started. And I'm going right back to the place where I crossed over the border 10 years ago. I ask myself: why am I giving up all this comfort to go and sleep in a derelict house and slosh around the Turkish border with poor old refugees? »
- Carole Cadwalladr
Similar News ItemsGwyneth Paltrow
- Gwyneth Paltrow Has Girls' Night Out with Gwen, Nicole, Naomi & More (From TooFab. 18 April 2014, 4:30 PM, PDT)
- Australian Designers You Need to Know: Zimmermann, Camilla and Marc & More! (From E! Online. 18 April 2014, 4:20 PM, PDT)
- Gwyneth Paltrow Consciously Coupling with Her Famous BFFs (From PEOPLE.com. 18 April 2014, 12:20 PM, PDT)
Jamie Oliver (II)
- Hollywood celebs pay tribute to Peaches Geldof on Twitter (From RealBollywood. 7 April 2014, 11:02 PM, PDT)
- Peaches Geldof Dead at 25: Lily Allen, Sharon Osbourne and More Friends React on Twitter (From E! Online. 7 April 2014, 11:47 AM, PDT)
- Students, criminals, prostitutes: Which new Channel 4 show is for you? (From Digital Spy - TV news. 2 April 2014, 7:00 AM, PDT)