The veteran photographer discusses the violence of his early years, celebrity culture – and why he's off to a war zone at 77
In the documentary that's just been made about your work – McCullin – you say you've had enough of war, yet by the time this interview is published you will have been to Syria.
I know. I'm going to cover the war in Aleppo. I'm pestered from morning to night in Somerset and I just want to get away from it.
You could go to the Caribbean instead.
I'd be even more bored. I haven't been to Syria for a decade, since the Gulf war started. And I'm going right back to the place where I crossed over the border 10 years ago. I ask myself: why am I giving up all this comfort to go and sleep in a derelict house and slosh around the Turkish border with poor old refugees? »
- Carole Cadwalladr
Similar News ItemsGwyneth Paltrow
- Chris Martin Tries to Explain His Relationship With Ex Gwyneth Paltrow: "We're Friends and Proud Parents" (From E! Online. 31 July 2014, 3:27 PM, PDT)
- Chris Martin Is "Friends" With Estranged Wife Gwyneth Paltrow, Says There's "Lots of Love" (From Us Weekly. 31 July 2014, 10:25 AM, PDT)
- What to Watch: Tonight's TV Picks - Glee, Scandal (From Digital Spy - TV news. 31 July 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
Jamie Oliver (II)
- Do TV cookery programmes really influence the way we cook? (From The Guardian - TV News. 14 July 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Jamie Oliver, Made in Chelsea stars making short-form content for 4Od (From Digital Spy - TV news. 26 June 2014, 5:33 AM, PDT)
- Cannes 2014: 'Mommy' review (From CineVue. 27 May 2014, 2:19 PM, PDT)