The veteran photographer discusses the violence of his early years, celebrity culture – and why he's off to a war zone at 77
In the documentary that's just been made about your work – McCullin – you say you've had enough of war, yet by the time this interview is published you will have been to Syria.
I know. I'm going to cover the war in Aleppo. I'm pestered from morning to night in Somerset and I just want to get away from it.
You could go to the Caribbean instead.
I'd be even more bored. I haven't been to Syria for a decade, since the Gulf war started. And I'm going right back to the place where I crossed over the border 10 years ago. I ask myself: why am I giving up all this comfort to go and sleep in a derelict house and slosh around the Turkish border with poor old refugees? »
- Carole Cadwalladr
Similar News ItemsGwyneth Paltrow
- Gwyneth Paltrow Explores Tantric Sex, Explains Why She Doesn't Like to Have New Year's Resolutions (From E! Online. 19 December 2014, 10:47 AM, PST)
- On the Red Carpet, Emerging Designers Get Shot at Fame (From Variety - Film News. 19 December 2014, 10:00 AM, PST)
- What Makes Taylor Swift A Favorite Of The Gossip Table? (From VH1.com. 19 December 2014, 8:15 AM, PST)
Jamie Oliver (II)
- Friday 2 January's best TV (From The Guardian - TV News. 19 December 2014, 6:45 AM, PST)
- YouTube Stars Who Went Mainstream in 2014 (From Entertainment Tonight. 16 December 2014, 7:15 AM, PST)
- Royal Variety Performance attracts 6.5m, down from 2013 (From Digital Spy - TV news. 9 December 2014, 3:33 AM, PST)