Each year, while I struggle to keep up with the foreign film submission charts and my sisyphean effort to find screenings or screeners of the 50 to 70+ films each year, Oscar's Foreign Film Nominating Committe cuts me off at the knees in my efforts. They always axe the bulk of the submissions and narrow the field to nine just as I've begun to make headway. Each year, I struggle to understand why nine? Ten (or more) would surely be easier to take for the finalists who did not find themselves Oscar nominated the following month. They could content themselves with a 50/50 chance, and consider it a toss of the coin misfortune rather than 'Nah, we don't like you so much!'
"Kon Tiki", Norway's most expensive movie ever, is an epic adventure about explorer Thor Heyerdal. The Weinstein Co will handle Us distribution.
The finalists, a surprisingly chilly bunch whether through »
- NATHANIEL R
Similar News ItemsMichael Haneke
- Sarajevo's Kinoscope to show 'The Square', 'Loveless' (From ScreenDaily. 25 July 2017, 3:34 AM, PDT)
- 9 Films New to Netflix to Watch in August 2017, Including ‘The Matrix’ Trilogy and ‘Jackie Brown’ (From Indiewire. 24 July 2017, 8:41 AM, PDT)
- First Trailer For Michael Haneke’s Cannes Fave ‘Happy End’ (From The Hollywood News. 20 July 2017, 1:12 AM, PDT)
- The 25 Best French Movies of the 21st Century, From ‘Amélie’ to ‘Cache’ (From Indiewire. 30 June 2017, 7:27 AM, PDT)
- Karlovy Vary International Film Festival Celebrates Critics Choice Movies (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2017, 10:15 AM, PDT)
- Karlovy Vary Festival Launches Crafts Track for Global Professionals (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- The Raid, Filmmaker John Carpenter, Last Jedi Bts, And More -- The Lrm Weekend (From LRM Online. 21 July 2017, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Jet Li's Epic Remake, The Art Of Alex Ross, Donner's Superman, And More -- The Lrm Weekend (From LRM Online. 14 July 2017, 12:30 PM, PDT)
- Charlize Theron Still Wants to Make A Furiosa Prequel; Let’s Pray George Miller is Listening (From Indiewire. 11 July 2017, 7:47 AM, PDT)