Each year, while I struggle to keep up with the foreign film submission charts and my sisyphean effort to find screenings or screeners of the 50 to 70+ films each year, Oscar's Foreign Film Nominating Committe cuts me off at the knees in my efforts. They always axe the bulk of the submissions and narrow the field to nine just as I've begun to make headway. Each year, I struggle to understand why nine? Ten (or more) would surely be easier to take for the finalists who did not find themselves Oscar nominated the following month. They could content themselves with a 50/50 chance, and consider it a toss of the coin misfortune rather than 'Nah, we don't like you so much!'
"Kon Tiki", Norway's most expensive movie ever, is an epic adventure about explorer Thor Heyerdal. The Weinstein Co will handle Us distribution.
The finalists, a surprisingly chilly bunch whether through »
- NATHANIEL R
Similar News ItemsMichael Haneke
- Isabelle Huppert Talks The Layers Of ‘Elle,’ Strong Roles For Women, Working With Paul Verhoeven & More (From The Playlist. 10 December 2016, 12:56 PM, PST)
- Huppert makes Arab bow in Taia’s Treasure (From ScreenDaily. 9 December 2016, 7:00 PM, PST)
- Isabelle Huppert on Paul Verhoeven’s ‘Elle’ and Mia Hansen-Love’s ’Things To Come’ (From Variety - Film News. 8 December 2016, 2:56 AM, PST)
- Maren Ade’s ‘Toni Erdmann’ Sweeps 29th European Film Awards (From Variety - Film News. 10 December 2016, 11:33 AM, PST)
- Paul Verhoeven Receives Career Tribute, Gives Masterclass at Marrakech (From Variety - Film News. 8 December 2016, 2:25 AM, PST)
- L.A. Film Critics Name ‘Moonlight’ Best Picture (From Variety - Film News. 4 December 2016, 10:40 AM, PST)
- New to Streaming: ‘Kate Plays Christine,’ ‘Sully,’ ‘Frank & Lola,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 9 December 2016, 8:45 AM, PST)
- Westworld: post-season 1 dissection; what's next? (From Den of Geek. 8 December 2016, 4:18 AM, PST)
- Japanese Director Shinya Tsukamoto on ‘Silence,’ Scorsese, His Own Film Creed (From Variety - Film News. 7 December 2016, 2:32 AM, PST)