Each year, while I struggle to keep up with the foreign film submission charts and my sisyphean effort to find screenings or screeners of the 50 to 70+ films each year, Oscar's Foreign Film Nominating Committe cuts me off at the knees in my efforts. They always axe the bulk of the submissions and narrow the field to nine just as I've begun to make headway. Each year, I struggle to understand why nine? Ten (or more) would surely be easier to take for the finalists who did not find themselves Oscar nominated the following month. They could content themselves with a 50/50 chance, and consider it a toss of the coin misfortune rather than 'Nah, we don't like you so much!'
"Kon Tiki", Norway's most expensive movie ever, is an epic adventure about explorer Thor Heyerdal. The Weinstein Co will handle Us distribution.
The finalists, a surprisingly chilly bunch whether through »
- NATHANIEL R
Similar News ItemsMichael Haneke
- 2016 Oscar Predictions: Best Director (From Indiewire. 25 November 2015, 1:22 PM, PST)
- Cinematographer Christian Berger Talks ‘By the Sea,’ Angelina Jolie Pitt’s Creative Force, and More (From The Film Stage. 23 November 2015, 12:46 PM, PST)
- 'Goodnight Mommy': Foreign Oscar Outsider, or Austria's Secret Weapon? (From Thompson on Hollywood. 20 November 2015, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Radiator review – absorbing portrait of ageing and unhappiness (From The Guardian - Film News. 26 November 2015, 2:30 PM, PST)
- The Art of Dying: Inside the Devastating Drama 'James White' (From Rolling Stone. 13 November 2015, 9:18 AM, PST)
- Criterion Collection: Code Unknown | Blu-ray Review (From ioncinema. 10 November 2015, 9:30 AM, PST)
- Setsuko Hara, Japanese Screen Legend, Dies at 95 (From Vulture. 25 November 2015, 6:49 PM, PST)
- Setsuko Hara, Japanese Screen Legend, Dies at 95 (From The Hollywood Reporter. 25 November 2015, 3:32 PM, PST)
- Ozu Muse Setsuko Hara Dies at 95; Stream Her Best Films (From The Film Stage. 25 November 2015, 9:34 AM, PST)