Each year, while I struggle to keep up with the foreign film submission charts and my sisyphean effort to find screenings or screeners of the 50 to 70+ films each year, Oscar's Foreign Film Nominating Committe cuts me off at the knees in my efforts. They always axe the bulk of the submissions and narrow the field to nine just as I've begun to make headway. Each year, I struggle to understand why nine? Ten (or more) would surely be easier to take for the finalists who did not find themselves Oscar nominated the following month. They could content themselves with a 50/50 chance, and consider it a toss of the coin misfortune rather than 'Nah, we don't like you so much!'
"Kon Tiki", Norway's most expensive movie ever, is an epic adventure about explorer Thor Heyerdal. The Weinstein Co will handle Us distribution.
The finalists, a surprisingly chilly bunch whether through »
- NATHANIEL R
Similar News ItemsMichael Haneke
- Sundance Review: 'Take Me To The River’ Features Solid Performances In A Genuinely Peculiar Film (From The Playlist. 27 January 2015, 2:28 PM, PST)
- Amour Fou developing films with Nobel prize-winner (From ScreenDaily. 26 January 2015, 11:00 PM, PST)
- 2015 Sundance Diary: ‘A Walk in the Woods,’ ‘Eden,’ ‘Z for Zachariah’ & ‘Knock Knock’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 25 January 2015, 11:43 PM, PST)
- Sundance Film Review: ‘James White’ (From Variety - Film News. 23 January 2015, 1:05 PM, PST)
- Acting Oscar Nominations for Foreign-Language Performances (From Scott Feinberg. 21 January 2015, 8:08 AM, PST)
- Isabelle Huppert Talks About Her Recent U.S. Productions (From Variety - Film News. 19 January 2015, 7:48 AM, PST)
- Adam Sandler Lines Up All-Star Cast for His Netflix Movie 'Ridiculous 6' (From Moviefone. 26 January 2015, 6:47 AM, PST)
- The fantasist: The comic art of Woody Allen (From The Moving Arts Journal. 24 January 2015, 12:49 PM, PST)
- Writers Guild Honors Pedro Almodovar With Jean Renoir Award (From Variety - Film News. 21 January 2015, 11:23 AM, PST)