Each year, while I struggle to keep up with the foreign film submission charts and my sisyphean effort to find screenings or screeners of the 50 to 70+ films each year, Oscar's Foreign Film Nominating Committe cuts me off at the knees in my efforts. They always axe the bulk of the submissions and narrow the field to nine just as I've begun to make headway. Each year, I struggle to understand why nine? Ten (or more) would surely be easier to take for the finalists who did not find themselves Oscar nominated the following month. They could content themselves with a 50/50 chance, and consider it a toss of the coin misfortune rather than 'Nah, we don't like you so much!'
"Kon Tiki", Norway's most expensive movie ever, is an epic adventure about explorer Thor Heyerdal. The Weinstein Co will handle Us distribution.
The finalists, a surprisingly chilly bunch whether through »
- NATHANIEL R
Similar News ItemsMichael Haneke
- ‘Mia Madre’ Is A Moving, Sensitive Return To Form For Director Nanni Moretti [Review] (From The Playlist. 26 August 2016, 1:15 PM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: Read This: Are these the best films of the 21st century? (From The AV Club. 23 August 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Jacques Tati on Charlie Chaplin, ‘Jurassic Park’ Effects, Ira Sachs Visits Criterion, and More (From The Film Stage. 18 August 2016, 2:19 PM, PDT)
- Isabelle Huppert Teases That Michael Haneke’s ‘Happy End’ Is “More Like Code Unknown Than The Piano Teacher” (From The Playlist. 29 August 2016, 7:18 AM, PDT)
- Michael Haneke’s ‘Happy End’ is an Ensemble Film With “No Psychology,” Says Isabelle Huppert (From The Film Stage. 25 August 2016, 6:35 AM, PDT)
- Mulholland Drive Tops BBC's 100 Best Movies of the 21st Century List (From MovieWeb. 23 August 2016, 12:21 PM, PDT)
- Top Ten Tuesday – Top Ten White People Doing The Right Thing (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 30 August 2016, 3:11 PM, PDT)
- Nine Deleted Subplots That Would Have Changed Entire Movies (From Cinelinx. 26 August 2016, 10:28 PM, PDT)
- Frank Ocean Shares His Favorite Films, Including Tarkovsky, PTA, Kurosawa, Lynch, Kubrick & More (From The Film Stage. 23 August 2016, 9:17 AM, PDT)