Each year, while I struggle to keep up with the foreign film submission charts and my sisyphean effort to find screenings or screeners of the 50 to 70+ films each year, Oscar's Foreign Film Nominating Committe cuts me off at the knees in my efforts. They always axe the bulk of the submissions and narrow the field to nine just as I've begun to make headway. Each year, I struggle to understand why nine? Ten (or more) would surely be easier to take for the finalists who did not find themselves Oscar nominated the following month. They could content themselves with a 50/50 chance, and consider it a toss of the coin misfortune rather than 'Nah, we don't like you so much!'
"Kon Tiki", Norway's most expensive movie ever, is an epic adventure about explorer Thor Heyerdal. The Weinstein Co will handle Us distribution.
The finalists, a surprisingly chilly bunch whether through »
- NATHANIEL R
Similar News ItemsMichael Haneke
- Cannes 2015: Audiard, Haynes & Director's Fortnight (From CineVue. 24 April 2015, 3:22 AM, PDT)
- 'Finding Neverland': Theater Review (From The Hollywood Reporter. 15 April 2015, 12:45 PM, PDT)
- Daily | Interviews | Scorsese, Hertzfeldt, Bong (From Keyframe. 4 April 2015, 7:51 AM, PDT)
- Emma Thompson, Brendan Gleeson Movie ‘Alone in Berlin’ Starts to Shoot (From Variety - Film News. 26 March 2015, 1:49 PM, PDT)
- Thompson, Gleeson, Bruhl begin 'Alone In Berlin' shoot (From ScreenDaily. 26 March 2015, 5:08 AM, PDT)
- Les Films du Losange Boards Wrong Men’s ‘Prejudice’ (From Variety - Film News. 6 March 2015, 7:36 AM, PST)
- Restoration of Satyajit Ray’s The Apu Trilogy to Premiere in Us Theaters (From Bollyspice. 25 April 2015, 3:45 AM, PDT)
- The Simpsons' top 30 movie references (From Den of Geek. 23 April 2015, 6:10 AM, PDT)
- Wagner Moura joins The Magnificent Seven remake (From Flickeringmyth. 23 April 2015, 5:02 AM, PDT)