21 December 2012 4:01 PM, PST | The Guardian - Film News | See recent The Guardian - Film News news »

Actor will donate the sustantial damages he received from News International to Hacked Off campaign for press reform

Hugh Grant has received substantial damages from News International after settling his claim for phone hacking by the News of the World.

The actor and press reform campaigner's solicitor confirmed on Friday the settlement for an undisclosed amount had been reached with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, the News International subsidiary which published the Sunday tabloid until its closure last year.

Grant will donate the money to the Hacked Off campaign for press reform, of which he is a prominent backer, along with an additional personal donation, said his solicitor, Mark Thomson.

"Hugh Grant has today settled his claims for damages and other legal remedies arising out of the unlawful activities of News of the World journalists and others over a number of years," said Thomson. "News Group Newspapers have agreed »

- John Plunkett, Lisa O'Carroll

Report a problem

Similar News Items

Channel 4 [gb]
Hugh Grant (I)
Rupert Murdoch

IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.

See our NewsDesk partners