Actor will donate the sustantial damages he received from News International to Hacked Off campaign for press reform
Hugh Grant has received substantial damages from News International after settling his claim for phone hacking by the News of the World.
The actor and press reform campaigner's solicitor confirmed on Friday the settlement for an undisclosed amount had been reached with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, the News International subsidiary which published the Sunday tabloid until its closure last year.
Grant will donate the money to the Hacked Off campaign for press reform, of which he is a prominent backer, along with an additional personal donation, said his solicitor, Mark Thomson.
"Hugh Grant has today settled his claims for damages and other legal remedies arising out of the unlawful activities of News of the World journalists and others over a number of years," said Thomson. "News Group Newspapers have agreed »
- John Plunkett, Lisa O'Carroll
Similar News ItemsChannel 4 [gb]
- Caring and sharing: the First Dates crew test Christmas canapés (From The Guardian - TV News. 29 November 2015, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Walter Presents – exclusive trailer for Channel 4's new world TV service (From The Guardian - TV News. 27 November 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)
- Picturehouse, Film4, Channel 4, Mubi join Screen Film Summit (From ScreenDaily. 27 November 2015, 5:04 AM, PST)
Hugh Grant (I)
- Top 10 Best Lgbtqa Films Every Non-lgbtqa Person Should See! (From Manny the Movie Guy. 24 November 2015, 9:53 AM, PST)
- New VOD and Digital Releases, Plus: Watch 'Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation' and 'Ant-Man' at Home Now (From Movies.com. 17 November 2015, 6:00 PM, PST)
- Elizabeth Hurley Thinks It's ''Weird'' Fans Are Still Interested in Her Relationship With Hugh Grant: ''We Haven't Dated for 15 Years'' (From E! Online. 16 November 2015, 9:21 AM, PST)
- Tribune, La Times Near Sale, Says Rupert Murdoch (From The Wrap. 27 November 2015, 6:24 PM, PST)
- ‘Gods of Egypt’ Director, Studio Apologize for Lack of Diverse Casting: ‘We Can Do Better’ (From Variety - Film News. 27 November 2015, 12:05 PM, PST)
- 'Bones' Producer Sues Fox for "Accounting Chicanery," Claims Top Execs "Threatened" Him (From The Hollywood Reporter. 25 November 2015, 12:41 AM, PST)