Actor will donate the sustantial damages he received from News International to Hacked Off campaign for press reform
Hugh Grant has received substantial damages from News International after settling his claim for phone hacking by the News of the World.
The actor and press reform campaigner's solicitor confirmed on Friday the settlement for an undisclosed amount had been reached with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, the News International subsidiary which published the Sunday tabloid until its closure last year.
Grant will donate the money to the Hacked Off campaign for press reform, of which he is a prominent backer, along with an additional personal donation, said his solicitor, Mark Thomson.
"Hugh Grant has today settled his claims for damages and other legal remedies arising out of the unlawful activities of News of the World journalists and others over a number of years," said Thomson. "News Group Newspapers have agreed »
- John Plunkett, Lisa O'Carroll
Similar News ItemsChannel 4 [gb]
- Sunday's best TV: Messages Home – Lost Films of the British Army; Love Island (From The Guardian - TV News. 25 June 2016, 10:00 PM, PDT)
- Watch The First Trailer For HBO Comedy ‘Divorce’ Starring Sarah Jessica Parker & Thomas Haden Church (From The Playlist. 22 June 2016, 10:03 AM, PDT)
- Iwan Rheon: Why the ‘Game of Thrones’ Psychopath Deserves to Be a Star (From Indiewire Television. 21 June 2016, 2:18 PM, PDT)
Hugh Grant (I)
- Oscar Race at the 2016 Halfway Mark: Diversity and Confusion (From Variety - Film News. 24 June 2016, 11:03 AM, PDT)
- ‘Gotham’ Recasts Poison Ivy for Season 3 (From Variety - TV News. 22 June 2016, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘Me Before You’: How to Build a YA Movie That Rules (From Variety - Film News. 5 June 2016, 9:08 AM, PDT)
- British Notables in Entertainment React to Brexit Vote: ‘Goodbye, U.K.’ (From Variety - TV News. 24 June 2016, 3:45 AM, PDT)
- The 10 Most Powerful People in Hollywood (From newser. 23 June 2016, 9:23 AM, PDT)
- Sky, Bavaria Greenlight $28-Million TV Version of U-Boat Drama ‘Das Boot’ (From Variety - TV News. 23 June 2016, 1:00 AM, PDT)