I have a friend, a Hollywood producer, who calls me up every week or so and leaves the following message in a conspiratorial, Deep-Throatish voice: "I am now in a position to tell you the winner of this year's best-picture Oscar."
It's a joke. Each week I call back and he tells me a different film. Except that unlike that last film we decided on as this year's best picture – what were we thinking? – this new one is absolutely, positively going to win. No doubt. Sweep the board. A winner through and through. At least until next week.
Frankly, it's the only way to deal with an Oscar race that seems to consist, at times, entirely of frontrunners. It's the most competitive race in years – a "barn-burner »
- Tom Shone
Similar News ItemsLeonardo DiCaprio
- Hollywood Heats Up Miami Beach (From Popsugar. 8 December 2013, 5:30 PM, PST)
- "Her," "12 Years a Slave" Lead Washington D.C. Film Critics Nominations! (From Manny the Movie Guy. 8 December 2013, 4:24 PM, PST)
- Boston Film Critics Hails "12 Years a Slave," "The Wolf of Wall Street" Always a Bridesmaid (From Manny the Movie Guy. 8 December 2013, 4:05 PM, PST)
- The Week in Spandex - The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Batman vs. Superman vs. Wonder Woman, X-Men: Apocalypse, Wolverine, The Incredible Hulk and more (From Flickeringmyth. 8 December 2013, 2:16 PM, PST)
- Amy Adams Talks Wonder Woman's Inclusion in Batman Vs. Superman (From MovieWeb. 8 December 2013, 12:07 PM, PST)
- New Batman Vs Superman Details Served Up By Ben Affleck Aka Batman (From OnTheFlix. 8 December 2013, 10:43 AM, PST)
- Indie Spotlight (From DailyDead. 8 December 2013, 1:07 PM, PST)
- Boston Critics Go For 'Slave', Saudi Drama, and Several Surprises (From Alt Film Guide. 8 December 2013, 1:05 PM, PST)
- The eking out of the Hobbit franchise offers poor value for fans (From The Guardian - Film News. 6 December 2013, 9:59 PM, PST)