I have a friend, a Hollywood producer, who calls me up every week or so and leaves the following message in a conspiratorial, Deep-Throatish voice: "I am now in a position to tell you the winner of this year's best-picture Oscar."
It's a joke. Each week I call back and he tells me a different film. Except that unlike that last film we decided on as this year's best picture – what were we thinking? – this new one is absolutely, positively going to win. No doubt. Sweep the board. A winner through and through. At least until next week.
Frankly, it's the only way to deal with an Oscar race that seems to consist, at times, entirely of frontrunners. It's the most competitive race in years – a "barn-burner »
- Tom Shone
Similar News ItemsLeonardo DiCaprio
- Fxx's Every Simpsons Ever Marathon: Day 8 - HitFix Picks (From Hitfix. 27 August 2014, 8:00 PM, PDT)
- Interview: ‘Birdman’ Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu on His First Comedy (From Variety - Film News. 27 August 2014, 3:10 PM, PDT)
- You Know You're a Cbm.Com user/fan When... (From ComicBookMovie. 27 August 2014, 6:55 AM, PDT)
- Global Showbiz Briefs: ‘Beloved Sisters’ Gets Germany’s Nod For Oscar Race; BAFTA Sets David Fincher Retrospective; More (From Deadline New York. 27 August 2014, 9:12 PM, PDT)
- Tyler Perry Didn't Know Anything About David Fincher Before Appearing in Gone Girl (From GeekTyrant. 27 August 2014, 4:30 PM, PDT)
- Clark Kent (Double) Eyed On Batman V Superman Set (From ComicBookMovie. 27 August 2014, 3:28 PM, PDT)
- Review: 'The Bridge' - 'Goliath' (From Hitfix. 27 August 2014, 8:00 PM, PDT)
- Faye Dunaway To Open France’s Lumiere Fest (From Variety - Film News. 27 August 2014, 3:36 PM, PDT)
- Uma Thurman Breaks Silence on Quentin Tarantino Dating Rumors, Reveals Their Relationship Status (From E! Online. 27 August 2014, 12:51 PM, PDT)