I have a friend, a Hollywood producer, who calls me up every week or so and leaves the following message in a conspiratorial, Deep-Throatish voice: "I am now in a position to tell you the winner of this year's best-picture Oscar."
It's a joke. Each week I call back and he tells me a different film. Except that unlike that last film we decided on as this year's best picture – what were we thinking? – this new one is absolutely, positively going to win. No doubt. Sweep the board. A winner through and through. At least until next week.
Frankly, it's the only way to deal with an Oscar race that seems to consist, at times, entirely of frontrunners. It's the most competitive race in years – a "barn-burner »
- Tom Shone
Similar News ItemsBen Affleck
- Superhero Bits: Ben Affleck’s Comic-Con Disguise, Final Guardians Easter Egg & More (From Slash Film. 21 August 2017, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- Ben Affleck and Lindsay Shookus Grab Dinner in New York After Day Out in the City (From PEOPLE.com. 21 August 2017, 8:30 AM, PDT)
- Rumour: Zack Snyder may be returning to help finish Justice League (From Flickeringmyth. 21 August 2017, 4:04 AM, PDT)
- Mel B Inspires Children’s Musical Comedy Series. Shows Kids Dreams Are Everything. (From TVovermind.com. 21 August 2017, 6:11 PM, PDT)
- You'll Want to Jump Right Into Leonardo DiCaprio's Lap While He Lounges Poolside in Malibu (From Popsugar. 21 August 2017, 8:59 AM, PDT)
- Margot Robbie Looks Totally Unrecognizable as She Transforms into Queen Elizabeth I for New Role (From PEOPLE.com. 21 August 2017, 8:38 AM, PDT)
- Steven Soderbergh, What Happened? 4 Reasons ‘Logan Lucky,’ Wasn’t (From Indiewire. 21 August 2017, 3:58 PM, PDT)
- Charles Manson Threatened Quentin Tarantino With ‘Gory Death’? (From GossipCop. 21 August 2017, 1:50 PM, PDT)
- Celebrate Neil Diamond's 50th Anniversary Tour with These 7 Fascinating Stories Behind His Biggest Hits (From PEOPLE.com. 21 August 2017, 10:20 AM, PDT)