Crafting a Top 10 Movies of the Year list always presents a little bit of a conundrum: Do you include the greatest films created, technically and artistically speaking, or do you go with the ones you simply enjoyed the most? It's the "best" versus "favorite" argument.
I tend to lean toward the latter and highlight the movies that had the most emotional impact on me, be it through laughter, shock, thrills or tears.
Maybe it also helps to give less heralded movies some shine. "Argo" is probably a better film than "Ruby Sparks." But honestly, I enjoyed "Ruby Sparks" more. "Argo" will be on everyone else's list, and you may not have heard of "Ruby Sparks" or "Searching for Sugar Man," movies you'd probably really like.
So here are my 10 favorite movies of the year. And hey, at least I can always cheat with some Honorable Mentions. "Argo" made it there. »
- Kevin Polowy
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- 47 Metres Down review – shark-cage thriller sinks to the bottom (From The Guardian - Film News. 26 July 2017, 7:30 AM, PDT)
- Newswire: Bill Clinton and James Patterson are pitching their mystery novel to Hollywood (From The AV Club. 25 July 2017, 4:51 PM, PDT)
- Here’s Why ‘Dunkirk’ Will Likely Make $200 Million At the Domestic Box Office (From Indiewire. 25 July 2017, 1:55 PM, PDT)
Michael Bay (I)
- Location-Based Virtual Reality Is the Next Big Bet for Movie Theaters, Malls (From Variety - Film News. 26 July 2017, 9:45 AM, PDT)
- Newswire: Pamela Adlon joins the Transformers spin-off, Bumblebee (From The AV Club. 22 July 2017, 2:53 PM, PDT)
- City of Ghosts director Matthew Heineman: 'Imagine seeing people crucified – every day' (From The Guardian - Film News. 21 July 2017, 10:41 AM, PDT)
The Dark Knight (2008)
- You Might’ve Missed Michael Caine’s Role In Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dunkirk’ (From The Playlist. 26 July 2017, 9:43 AM, PDT)
- Oscar Beat: Is ‘Dunkirk’ a Major Contender? (From Collider.com. 25 July 2017, 7:26 AM, PDT)
- Christopher Nolan Easter Eggs: The 7 Best Hidden Gems in ‘Inception,’ ‘Dunkirk,’ and More (From Indiewire. 24 July 2017, 11:09 AM, PDT)