Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Quentin Tarantino’s revision of world history continues with his singular, ultra-violent blaxploitation-film-cum-spaghetti-western Django Unchained, a passionate love letter to mid-1960s cinema that might feel lesser compared to most of the director’s filmography, but compensates for its flaws with the trademark wit and explosive action we’ve come to expect from a Qt picture.
The narrative begins in 1858 Texas, two years before the start of the American Civil War, as Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), a dentist-turned-bounty-hunter, frees a slave named Django (Jamie Foxx) with the hope that the slave can lead him to a tasty bounty he’s chasing. In return, Schultz promises to help Django rescue his enslaved wife Broomhilda (Kerry) from eccentric plantation owner Calvin J. Candie (DiCaprio) by posing as a businessman.
For better and for worse, this is every bit the Tarantino flick that fans will expect; it is »
- Shaun Munro
Similar News ItemsLeonardo DiCaprio
- Jonah Hill Talks Making Leonardo DiCaprio Throw Up and Why Loving Leo Made The Wolf of Wall Street Better (From E! Online. 17 December 2013, 6:18 PM, PST)
- Leo and His Wolfpack Occupy Wall Street (From Popsugar. 17 December 2013, 5:29 PM, PST)
- No Surprises Among Sf Film Critics 2013 Winners (From Alt Film Guide. 17 December 2013, 5:20 PM, PST)
Samuel L. Jackson
- ‘RoboCop’ Release Puts Asia First (From Variety - Film News. 17 December 2013, 6:00 PM, PST)
- Jeremy Renner confirms Hawkeye return for The Avengers: Age of Ultron (From Flickeringmyth. 17 December 2013, 11:34 AM, PST)
- Clever Infographic Reveals What Your Favorite Movie Mustache Says About You (From Movies.com. 17 December 2013, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Ryan Koo, Jordana Spiro & Marcella Said Among Sundance’s 2014 Feature Screenwriters Lab (From ioncinema. 17 December 2013, 12:30 PM, PST)
- Den Of Geek films of 2013: from 20 to 11... (From Den of Geek. 17 December 2013, 10:33 AM, PST)
- Robert Redford To Be Saluted at Santa Barbara Festival (From Variety - Film News. 17 December 2013, 6:30 AM, PST)