Figure 1: The 400 Blows.
"In my view, the concept [the move] does not refer to the literal, physical movements of either the performers or the camera (although it can include these elements). It does not necessarily involve powerfully dramatic (or comic) large-scale alterations in plot. It does not have to entail any grand-slam subversion of social, ideological or cultural conventions. But something, in a filmic move, will indeed have to shift, perhaps gently, but tellingly so."
—Adrian Martin (2010: 23) [my emphasis]
Before being frozen, framed and immortalized in the static final shot of Les quatre cents coups (1959), Antoine Doinel undergoes its antithesis—a sequence of camera movements that re-frames, follows and foregrounds his actions. Escaping the juvenile delinquent centre, the character runs on a rugged country road, the destination of which neither he nor we know; the camera tracks the dash laterally in a medium shot. Visualizing his exuberance, Antoine performs a childlike half-run, »
- Hoi Lun Law
Similar News ItemsCharles Chaplin
- Director Fatih Akin Pulls 'The Cut' From Cannes Contention (From The Hollywood Reporter. 15 April 2014, 8:55 AM, PDT)
- Director Fatih Akin Pulls 'The Cut' Starring Tahar Rahim From The Cannes Film Festival (From The Playlist. 15 April 2014, 6:42 AM, PDT)
- Notebook Reviews: Jim Jarmusch's "Only Lovers Left Alive" (From MUBI. 12 April 2014, 8:53 AM, PDT)
- 2014 Cannes Film Festival Predictions: 53rd Critics’ Week (From ioncinema. 16 April 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Interview with Frédéric Tcheng (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 14 April 2014, 8:44 AM, PDT)
- 5 Horror Films Criterion Should Release on Blu-ray (From SoundOnSight. 13 April 2014, 9:04 PM, PDT)
The 400 Blows (1959)
- Reviews: Criterion's "Riot In Cell Block 11" (1954) And "The 400 Blows" (1959) (From CinemaRetro. 13 April 2014, 9:38 AM, PDT)
- New to Blu-ray: The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, A Field In England, and More (From Collider.com. 8 April 2014, 10:11 AM, PDT)
- Boy, Bike, Ridley and Tony (From Rope Of Silicon. 2 April 2014, 12:37 PM, PDT)