Figure 1: The 400 Blows.
"In my view, the concept [the move] does not refer to the literal, physical movements of either the performers or the camera (although it can include these elements). It does not necessarily involve powerfully dramatic (or comic) large-scale alterations in plot. It does not have to entail any grand-slam subversion of social, ideological or cultural conventions. But something, in a filmic move, will indeed have to shift, perhaps gently, but tellingly so."
—Adrian Martin (2010: 23) [my emphasis]
Before being frozen, framed and immortalized in the static final shot of Les quatre cents coups (1959), Antoine Doinel undergoes its antithesis—a sequence of camera movements that re-frames, follows and foregrounds his actions. Escaping the juvenile delinquent centre, the character runs on a rugged country road, the destination of which neither he nor we know; the camera tracks the dash laterally in a medium shot. Visualizing his exuberance, Antoine performs a childlike half-run, »
- Hoi Lun Law
Similar News ItemsCharles Chaplin
- Game of Thrones’ Oona Chaplin joins the Avatar sequels (From Flickeringmyth. 21 June 2017, 1:08 AM, PDT)
- Oona Chaplin joins the cast of James Cameron's Avatar sequels (From JoBlo. 20 June 2017, 4:30 PM, PDT)
- ‘Games of Thrones’ Star Oona Chaplin Joins James Cameron’s ‘Avatar’ Sequels (From Variety - Film News. 20 June 2017, 12:42 PM, PDT)
- Film Review: Bertrand Tavernier’s ‘My Journey Through French Cinema’ (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2017, 10:37 AM, PDT)
- Influential French Auteur Jean-Marie Straub to Receive Locarno Lifetime Achievement Award (From Variety - Film News. 22 June 2017, 5:20 AM, PDT)
- Rushes. Robert Pattinson Covers, Apichatpong x Ryuichi Sakamoto, "Girls Gone Wild 1863" (From MUBI. 22 June 2017, 5:01 AM, PDT)
Pedro Costa (II)
- Rushes. Gilliam Wraps "Quixote", Soderbergh Returns to Moviemaking, Scorsese Stands Up for Cinema (From MUBI. 7 June 2017, 9:29 AM, PDT)
- Cannes 2017. New Portuguese Cinema (From MUBI. 31 May 2017, 9:43 AM, PDT)
- Cannes Film Review: ‘Barbara’ (From Variety - Film News. 18 May 2017, 10:56 AM, PDT)