Peter Jackson's feature film adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit set a new box office record this weekend with an estimated $84 million in U.S. ticket sales.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey made history as the biggest December opening of all time for its first week. The flick also stands as the highest first-weekend earner among Jackson's Lord of the Rings films (without adjustments for inflation).
Related: 'The Hobbit' Stars on 'Returning to Middle-Earth'
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Exclusive: Joe Dante Discusses "Innerspace", To Mark The Film's Blu-ray Release Through Warner Home Entertainment (From CinemaRetro. 29 August 2015, 7:34 AM, PDT)
- Best Stories of the Week: Assassin’s Creed, The Martian, Iron Giant, Rogue One, and More (From Slash Film. 28 August 2015, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- In Real World, 'Compton' Not (Anytime Soon) to Break Record as Highest-Grossing Domestic Hit Directed by Black Filmmaker (From Alt Film Guide. 28 August 2015, 4:18 PM, PDT)
Peter Jackson (I)
- Undead rewatched: aliens and zombies collide in a gung-ho low-budget classic (From The Guardian - Film News. 29 August 2015, 5:30 PM, PDT)
- Check Out This Trailer For The Extended Cuts Of The Hobbit Trilogy (From We Got This Covered. 28 August 2015, 7:40 AM, PDT)
- 9 incredible fan films that put Hollywood to shame: What would happen if Batman battled a Predator? (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 28 August 2015, 4:30 AM, PDT)
Daniel Craig (I)
- Pierce Brosnan shares his thoughts on a gay James Bond (From Flickeringmyth. 28 August 2015, 10:35 AM, PDT)
- Daniel Craig’s 007 featured on Total Film’s Spectre cover (From Flickeringmyth. 28 August 2015, 8:55 AM, PDT)
- Marvel Wants Mads Mikkelsen For 'Doctor Strange' (From The Playlist. 27 August 2015, 12:33 PM, PDT)