Peter Jackson's feature film adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit set a new box office record this weekend with an estimated $84 million in U.S. ticket sales.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey made history as the biggest December opening of all time for its first week. The flick also stands as the highest first-weekend earner among Jackson's Lord of the Rings films (without adjustments for inflation).
Related: 'The Hobbit' Stars on 'Returning to Middle-Earth'
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- T.J. Miller Not Returning to 'Silicon Valley' for Season 5 (From Entertainment Tonight. 25 May 2017, 1:03 PM, PDT)
- T.J. Miller to Exit Silicon Valley (From TVLine.com. 25 May 2017, 12:33 PM, PDT)
- T.J. Miller to Exit ‘Silicon Valley’ Ahead of Season 5 (From Variety - TV News. 25 May 2017, 12:04 PM, PDT)
Peter Jackson (I)
- Peter Jackson posts first Mortal Engines concept art (From JoBlo. 26 May 2017, 10:08 AM, PDT)
- Bringing Star Wars to the Screen: Episode IV – A New Hope (From Flickeringmyth. 25 May 2017, 3:30 AM, PDT)
- Evil Ed Available on Blu-ray May 30th From Arrow Video (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 23 May 2017, 3:21 PM, PDT)
Daniel Craig (I)
- Jane Seymour on How Roger Moore Put Her at Ease When She Was a Nervous 20-Year-Old Newbie on Live and Let Die (From PEOPLE.com. 26 May 2017, 1:17 PM, PDT)
- Amazon Signs First-Look Deal With Steven Soderbergh’s Film Distribution Firm (From Tubefilter News. 26 May 2017, 8:58 AM, PDT)
- Amazon Acquires Steven Soderbergh’s ‘Logan Lucky’ First-Run Streaming Rights (From Variety - Film News. 25 May 2017, 7:03 AM, PDT)