Peter Jackson's feature film adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit set a new box office record this weekend with an estimated $84 million in U.S. ticket sales.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey made history as the biggest December opening of all time for its first week. The flick also stands as the highest first-weekend earner among Jackson's Lord of the Rings films (without adjustments for inflation).
Related: 'The Hobbit' Stars on 'Returning to Middle-Earth'
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- The Excellent ‘Stranger Things’ Score Will Be Getting An Official Release, Plus Listen To Spotify Playlist Of Soundtrack Songs (From The Playlist. 28 July 2016, 7:01 AM, PDT)
- Venice Film Festival Lineup Includes Mel Gibson, Tom Ford, Terrence Malick Movies (From Variety - Film News. 28 July 2016, 2:30 AM, PDT)
- Have Secret Cinema just revealed their next two big productions? (From The Hollywood News. 28 July 2016, 12:17 AM, PDT)
Peter Jackson (I)
- [Updated] Matt Damon Scales The Great Wall In First Images For Chinese Monster Movie (From We Got This Covered. 28 July 2016, 8:14 AM, PDT)
- Sdcc: Justice League, Wonder Woman & Kong: Skull Island trailers – The Flickering Myth Reaction (From Flickeringmyth. 28 July 2016, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- Q&A: James Cameron and Gale Anne Hurd on How to Save Moviegoing (From Variety - Film News. 25 July 2016, 3:20 PM, PDT)
Daniel Craig (I)
- Pierce Brosnan Joins Dave Bautista in Soccer Drama ‘Final Score’ (From Variety - Film News. 26 July 2016, 5:54 PM, PDT)
- Pierce Brosnan joins Dave Bautista in 'Final Score' (From ScreenDaily. 26 July 2016, 5:17 AM, PDT)
- Book to film adaptations by British authors (From Flickeringmyth. 25 July 2016, 10:20 PM, PDT)