Peter Jackson's feature film adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit set a new box office record this weekend with an estimated $84 million in U.S. ticket sales.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey made history as the biggest December opening of all time for its first week. The flick also stands as the highest first-weekend earner among Jackson's Lord of the Rings films (without adjustments for inflation).
Related: 'The Hobbit' Stars on 'Returning to Middle-Earth'
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- ‘Indiana Jones’ Set To Return (From The Hollywood News. 9 December 2013, 11:05 AM, PST)
- Steven Spielberg's Longtime Editor Michael Kahn Tapped for 'Pele' (Exclusive) (From The Hollywood Reporter. 9 December 2013, 10:14 AM, PST)
- People Should be Smart Enough to Listen to What We Say (From Rope Of Silicon. 9 December 2013, 9:50 AM, PST)
Peter Jackson (I)
- Ed Sheeran on being a 'massive geek' and working on 'The Hobbit' (From Hitfix. 9 December 2013, 2:51 PM, PST)
- 'Man of Steel' and 'The Great Gatsby' Snubbed on Academy's Best Visual Effects Short List (From Movies.com. 9 December 2013, 2:00 PM, PST)
- John Watson’s Mustache Takes Center Stage in The Emotional New ‘Sherlock’ Series 3 Trailer (From FilmSchoolRejects. 9 December 2013, 11:07 AM, PST)
Daniel Craig (I)
- Naomie Harris keen to reprise 'Moneypenny' role in next Bond flick (From RealBollywood. 7 December 2013, 10:25 PM, PST)
- Nicolas Winding Refn: Only God Forgives director on sex, violence, Beckham (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 4 December 2013, 1:30 AM, PST)
- Velvet #2 is a Dark, Action-Driven Spy Thriller (From SoundOnSight. 3 December 2013, 6:51 PM, PST)