There was a time when I was in love with stop motion animation. It was the era of Gumby, Rudolph: the Red-Nosed Reindeer and The Year Without A Santa Claus. However, over the past two decades, CG has slowly nudged stop motion out of mainstream family entertainment.
When you think of the top animated movies of 2012, Brave or Wreck-it Ralph probably come to mind. Superb CG and the Disney distribution label made these films household names. Yet, in the trenches of cinema, where only the most audacious viewers dare to go, another feature was the unsung animated gem of the year. Laika’s ParaNorman coupled a delightful voice cast with a layered story that was chock full of spooky twists. This thrilling adventure is filled with wonderful, hand-made character models and smart comedy. Thanks to the team at Laika, the beating heart of stop motion lives on.
Editor’S Pick: »
- Bags Hooper
Similar News ItemsAnna Kendrick (I)
- Cameron Crowe’s latest, starring Bradley Cooper, delayed until 2015 (From Flickeringmyth. 21 July 2014, 11:30 PM, PDT)
- Joe Swanberg Talks Happy Christmas, Casting Anna Kendrick, Shooting on 16mm Film, Shaping the Story in the Editing Room, and His Future Films (From Collider.com. 21 July 2014, 5:45 PM, PDT)
- Happy Christmas Review (From We Got This Covered. 20 July 2014, 10:01 PM, PDT)
John Goodman (I)
- Transformers: Age of Extinction heading to $900 million worldwide (From Flickeringmyth. 20 July 2014, 9:51 AM, PDT)
- Performance capture, Serkis, movies, videogames and Apes (From Den of Geek. 17 July 2014, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- 11 Evil Animal Movies So Bad They're Good (From Entertainment Tonight. 14 July 2014, 12:15 AM, PDT)
Focus Features [us]
- Cameron Crowe's Romantic Comedy Starring Bradley Cooper Moves to Summer 2015 (From MovieWeb. 21 July 2014, 4:20 PM, PDT)
- What films will screen or premiere at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival? (From Hitfix. 21 July 2014, 1:38 PM, PDT)
- Fifty Shades of Grey teaser drops, full trailer released on Thursday (From Flickeringmyth. 21 July 2014, 10:16 AM, PDT)