"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Film Review: ‘Dracula Untold’ (From Variety - Film News. 30 September 2014, 4:50 PM, PDT)
- The trailer for Shadow of Mordor teases an epic new Lord of the Rings story (From JoBlo. 30 September 2014, 9:16 AM, PDT)
- Peter Jackson explains how he’s expanding the source material for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (From Flickeringmyth. 28 September 2014, 2:59 PM, PDT)
- Rihanna Wanted for 'Bond 24' Role and Theme Song? (From MovieWeb. 30 September 2014, 8:37 PM, PDT)
- Rumor: Rihanna Offered Bond 24 Role (From ComicBookMovie. 30 September 2014, 4:51 PM, PDT)
- The Academy Celebrates The Opening of The Hollywood Costume Exhibition in Los Angeles (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 30 September 2014, 12:23 PM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Blu-ray 3D, DVD, Digital Release: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (From Disc Dish. 30 September 2014, 9:56 AM, PDT)
- Go Bananas For Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Concept Art (From ComicBookMovie. 23 September 2014, 2:01 PM, PDT)
- Predict Best Production Design Oscar: 'Grand Budapest Hotel'? 'The Hobbit'? (From Gold Derby. 22 September 2014, 2:36 PM, PDT)