"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- ‘Hobbit’ Sequel’s High Frame Rate Theaters Nearly Doubled – But Warner Bros. Keeps It Quiet (From The Wrap. 8 December 2013, 11:36 PM, PST)
- This Rotten Week: Predicting The Hobbit, Saving Mr. Banks, American Hustle and Madea Christmas Reviews (From Cinema Blend. 8 December 2013, 11:53 AM, PST)
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch read out R. Kelly's 'Genius' (From Flickeringmyth. 8 December 2013, 10:06 AM, PST)
- Naomie Harris keen to reprise 'Moneypenny' role in next Bond flick (From RealBollywood. 7 December 2013, 10:25 PM, PST)
- HollywoodChicago.com Hookup: 50 Pairs of Passes to ‘Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom’ on Nelson Mandela (From HollywoodChicago.com. 7 December 2013, 1:17 PM, PST)
- It's Adele vs. Lana Del Rey at the 2014 Grammys as 'Skyfall' and 'Gatsby' face off (From Hitfix. 6 December 2013, 11:20 PM, PST)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’ Review: Peter Jackson’s Second Verse Is Better Than the First (From The Wrap. 6 December 2013, 5:03 PM, PST)
- Review: 'The Hobbit' improves in every way with the thrilling 'Desolation Of Smaug' (From Hitfix. 6 December 2013, 5:00 PM, PST)
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (From The Guardian - Film News. 6 December 2013, 2:37 PM, PST)