"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch Give One of His Most Menacing Performances (From GeekTyrant. 21 October 2014, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch Pretend to Be a Dragon in The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Extended Edition Clip (From Collider.com. 21 October 2014, 1:25 PM, PDT)
- Humane Society honors Darren Aronofsky for use of CG animals in ‘Noah’ (From Hitfix. 21 October 2014, 8:45 AM, PDT)
- A Whale of a Poster for 'In the Heart of the Sea' (From Rope Of Silicon. 21 October 2014, 1:40 PM, PDT)
- How Three Playwrights Are Making the Jump to Film and TV (From The Hollywood Reporter. 21 October 2014, 9:04 AM, PDT)
- 15 Crazy Facts You Just Have To Accept To Enjoy The Dark Knight Trilogy (From Obsessed with Film. 20 October 2014, 7:58 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- This Beloved Lord Of The Rings Actor Will Be In The Hobbit 3 (From Cinema Blend. 21 October 2014, 9:36 AM, PDT)
- Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Release: Into the Storm (From Disc Dish. 7 October 2014, 2:17 PM, PDT)
- This Next 'Hobbit' Movie Will Apparently be the Defining Chapter (From Rope Of Silicon. 6 October 2014, 11:00 AM, PDT)