"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Watch the trailer for Russell Crowe's epically-sized directorial debut, 'The Water Diviner' (From Hitfix. 1 October 2014, 6:56 AM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘Dracula Untold’ (From Variety - Film News. 30 September 2014, 4:50 PM, PDT)
- The trailer for Shadow of Mordor teases an epic new Lord of the Rings story (From JoBlo. 30 September 2014, 9:16 AM, PDT)
- Major Pop Starlet Approached For 'Bond 24' Cameo (From LatinoReview. 1 October 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Will Rihanna Have A Cameo In Bond 24? (From We Got This Covered. 1 October 2014, 7:29 AM, PDT)
- Rihanna Wanted for 'Bond 24' Role and Theme Song? (From MovieWeb. 30 September 2014, 8:37 PM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Predict Best Makeup and Hairstyling Oscar: Will period and prosthetics dominate? (From Gold Derby. 1 October 2014, 8:27 AM, PDT)
- Blu-ray 3D, DVD, Digital Release: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (From Disc Dish. 30 September 2014, 9:56 AM, PDT)
- Go Bananas For Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Concept Art (From ComicBookMovie. 23 September 2014, 2:01 PM, PDT)