"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek's Mr Spock, dies at age of 83 (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 27 February 2015, 9:20 AM, PST)
- 20 Actors That Were Almost Cast In The Lord Of The Rings (From Obsessed with Film. 27 February 2015, 1:33 AM, PST)
- Neill Blomkamp on Developing 'Alien' with Sigourney Weaver (From MovieWeb. 25 February 2015, 10:30 AM, PST)
- See All the Photos of Daniel Craig Looking Hot as James Bond (From BuzzSugar. 28 February 2015, 5:30 AM, PST)
- The Imitation Game Blu-ray gets March release (From Flickeringmyth. 27 February 2015, 8:00 PM, PST)
- Sam Mendes Teases Details In New Spectre Video (From Obsessed with Film. 27 February 2015, 2:09 AM, PST)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes VFX Breakdown (From ComicBookMovie. 15 February 2015, 12:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Sniper’, ‘Boy Next Door’, ‘Mortdecai’ Up In Actuals; ‘Taken 3′ Cume Shifts: Intl Bo (From Deadline. 27 January 2015, 4:08 AM, PST)
- Box Office: Peter Jackson's The Hobbit Finale Crosses $800 Million (From ComicBookMovie. 19 January 2015, 12:01 AM, PST)