"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- James Cameron Offers New Details on 'Avatar' Sequels (From LatinoReview. 26 November 2014, 1:59 PM, PST)
- James Cameron Updates on 'Avatar' Sequels and Shooting in 48 Fps (From MovieWeb. 26 November 2014, 11:29 AM, PST)
- Exclusive: Hollywood Stars Put Their Questions To Peter Jackson (From EmpireOnline. 26 November 2014, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Hugh Jackman Is Blackbeard In First Pan Trailer (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 25 November 2014, 8:14 PM, PST)
- First trailer for Joe Wright’s Pan (From Flickeringmyth. 25 November 2014, 11:25 AM, PST)
- First posters for Pan featuring Levi Miller, Hugh Jackman, Garrett Hedlund and Rooney Mara (From Flickeringmyth. 24 November 2014, 11:50 PM, PST)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- James Cameron Says Avatar Sequels Will Be Shot At 48 Frames-Per-Second (From ComicBookMovie. 26 November 2014, 10:22 AM, PST)
- James Cameron Believes the 'Avatar' Sequels Will Serve as a Cinematic Laxative (From Rope Of Silicon. 26 November 2014, 8:27 AM, PST)
- Glenn Howerton Was 2nd Choice For Star-Lord In Guardians Of The Galaxy (From ComicBookMovie. 19 November 2014, 7:32 AM, PST)