"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Colin Firth and Reese Witherspoon headline the trailer for Devil's Knot (From JoBlo. 10 March 2014, 7:51 AM, PDT)
- 9 things we learned from The Hunger Games Catching Fire DVD extras (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 10 March 2014, 6:41 AM, PDT)
- Set Visit: The Russo Brothers bring gritty action to 'Captain America 2' (From Hitfix. 6 March 2014, 1:00 PM, PST)
- First guests announced for McM Comic Con / Memorabilia Birmingham (From Blogomatic3000. 11 March 2014, 6:39 AM, PDT)
- Enemies Closer Blu-Ray Review (From We Got This Covered. 11 March 2014, 4:56 AM, PDT)
- Adele mum on next 'Bond' theme song (From RealBollywood. 10 March 2014, 12:17 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Starz, BBC Team Up for New Drama Series ‘The Missing’ (From The Wrap. 6 March 2014, 11:30 AM, PST)
- Funky Trailer for Lego The Hobbit - Buddy-Up (From GeekTyrant. 6 March 2014, 11:30 AM, PST)
- New Trailer for Lego The Hobbit Debuts (From Comingsoon.net. 6 March 2014)