"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- First Look At The Hobbit: The Five Armies; Warner Bros. Pictures At Comic Con 2014 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 21 July 2014, 5:46 PM, PDT)
- ‘Heavenly Creatures’ succeeds in humanizing its infamous characters (From SoundOnSight. 20 July 2014, 12:57 PM, PDT)
- Competing J.R.R. Tolkien Biopics In the Works (From Rolling Stone. 20 July 2014, 9:38 AM, PDT)
- The Imitation Game to open 58th BFI London Film Festival, new trailer released (From Flickeringmyth. 21 July 2014, 7:52 AM, PDT)
- The Imitation Game Gets A Riveting First Trailer (From We Got This Covered. 21 July 2014, 7:25 AM, PDT)
- Ben Whishaw Is The New Voice Of Paddington (From Cinema Blend. 19 July 2014, 10:28 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Exclusive: Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Concept Art By Kelton Cram (From ComicBookMovie. 20 July 2014, 10:10 AM, PDT)
- Caesar Wearing Bearskin In New Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Concept Art (From ComicBookMovie. 19 July 2014, 5:09 PM, PDT)
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes movie review: people get ready (From FlickFilosopher. 18 July 2014, 4:50 AM, PDT)