"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- 'The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies' Trailer Marches into War (From Movies.com. 28 July 2014, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- Watch: 'Hobbit' Comic-Con 2014 Panel Hosted by Stephen Colbert (From FirstShowing.net. 28 July 2014, 2:58 PM, PDT)
- 20 Totally Badass Comic Book Panels (From Obsessed with Film. 28 July 2014, 2:03 PM, PDT)
- Trailer: The Imitation Game (From Pure Movies. 27 July 2014, 6:42 AM, PDT)
- #SDCC14: Penny Dreadful Season 1 Heading to Blu-ray/DVD in October (From Dread Central. 26 July 2014, 7:30 AM, PDT)
- Penny Dreadful Season 1 Blu-ray / DVD Cover Art & Release Details (From DailyDead. 25 July 2014, 10:27 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Win Tickets To The Advance Screening Of Into The Storm In St. Louis (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 28 July 2014, 12:15 PM, PDT)
- 'The Hobbit' says goodbye, 'Mad Max' and 'Batman v Superman' surprise at Comic-Con (From Hitfix. 26 July 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- #SDCC14: New Images Take Us into The Storm (From Dread Central. 25 July 2014, 4:24 PM, PDT)