"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Trailer Debuts Friday -- Here's Where You Can See It (From Movies.com. 24 November 2014, 1:01 PM, PST)
- First Look At Empire's The Hobbit: Battle Of The Five Armies Covers (From EmpireOnline. 24 November 2014, 4:00 AM, PST)
- The Hobbit: 10 Ridiculous Details You Probably Missed (From Obsessed with Film. 24 November 2014, 1:29 AM, PST)
- First Pan Images Show a Screaming Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard in Joe Wright’s Peter Pan Prequel (From Collider.com. 24 November 2014, 8:19 AM, PST)
- First images from Pan, including Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard (From Flickeringmyth. 24 November 2014, 7:31 AM, PST)
- Bond 24 Is Headed To Rome (From ComicBookMovie. 24 November 2014, 7:20 AM, PST)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Glenn Howerton Was 2nd Choice For Star-Lord In Guardians Of The Galaxy (From ComicBookMovie. 19 November 2014, 7:32 AM, PST)
- Hear Billy Boyd perform 'The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies' credits song (From Hitfix. 17 November 2014, 9:51 AM, PST)
- Listen to Billy Boyd’s Full Song for The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies (From GeekTyrant. 17 November 2014, 7:32 AM, PST)