"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Set Visit: The Russo Brothers bring gritty action to 'Captain America 2' (From Hitfix. 6 March 2014, 1:00 PM, PST)
- 10 Hugely Underrated Fantasy TV Shows From The Last Decade (From Obsessed with Film. 6 March 2014, 12:22 PM, PST)
- Quick Breakdown of Barrel Sequence in 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' (From FirstShowing.net. 6 March 2014, 8:22 AM, PST)
- Adele mum on next 'Bond' theme song (From RealBollywood. 10 March 2014, 12:17 AM, PDT)
- SXSW Episodic: Previewing Supernatural Chiller 'Penny Dreadful' (From Indiewire Television. 9 March 2014, 10:27 PM, PDT)
- SXSW Episodic: Previewing Supernatural Chiller 'Penny Dreadful' (From Thompson on Hollywood. 9 March 2014, 10:27 PM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Starz, BBC Team Up for New Drama Series ‘The Missing’ (From The Wrap. 6 March 2014, 11:30 AM, PST)
- Funky Trailer for Lego The Hobbit - Buddy-Up (From GeekTyrant. 6 March 2014, 11:30 AM, PST)
- New Trailer for Lego The Hobbit Debuts (From Comingsoon.net. 6 March 2014)