"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- China Box Office: 'Captain America' Fends Off 'Rio 2' for $80 Million Total (From The Hollywood Reporter. 14 April 2014, 11:01 PM, PDT)
- Jake Busey Tells Us How 'From Dusk till Dawn: The Series' Is Kick-starting His Career Comeback (From Movies.com. 14 April 2014, 7:00 PM, PDT)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 News: Co-Pilots Cell Phone Was On Before Plane Disappeared (From Uinterview. 13 April 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Pierce Brosnan Doesn’t Think That He Was A Good James Bond (From We Got This Covered. 15 April 2014, 2:50 PM, PDT)
- 'Chimerica,' 'Book of Mormon' win at Oliviers (From EW.com - PopWatch. 14 April 2014, 5:48 AM, PDT)
- Learn More About Penny Dreadful's Dorian Gray and Brona Croft (From Dread Central. 13 April 2014, 8:30 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Dr Who: films of Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy (From Den of Geek. 15 April 2014, 2:13 AM, PDT)
- Another Couple Of New Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Stills (From ComicBookMovie. 14 April 2014, 9:11 AM, PDT)
- The UnPopular Opinion: The Lovely Bones (From JoBlo. 9 April 2014, 12:01 AM, PDT)