"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Check Out This Trailer For The Extended Cuts Of The Hobbit Trilogy (From We Got This Covered. 28 August 2015, 7:40 AM, PDT)
- 9 incredible fan films that put Hollywood to shame: What would happen if Batman battled a Predator? (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 28 August 2015, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- Film4 FrightFest 2015 Review – Turbo Kid (2015) (From Flickeringmyth. 28 August 2015, 12:45 AM, PDT)
- Daniel Craig’s 007 featured on Total Film’s Spectre cover (From Flickeringmyth. 28 August 2015, 8:55 AM, PDT)
- Daniel Craig Talks Wife Rachel Weisz: She's "Best" at Saying No to Fan Photos (From Us Weekly. 26 August 2015, 1:21 PM, PDT)
- Naomie Harris, 007’s Moneypenny, Signs With Wme (From Deadline. 26 August 2015, 10:31 AM, PDT)
Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
- Uptown Girls! Jennifer Lawrence & Amy Schumer Show Off Ridiculous Dance Moves Onstage with Billy Joel (From TooFab. 28 August 2015, 8:45 AM, PDT)
- Johnny Depp, Leo DiCaprio – Which acting contenders this year are most due for their first win? (From Hollywoodnews.com. 26 August 2015, 10:37 AM, PDT)
- Experts' early Oscar predictions: 'Joy,' 'The Revenant,' Leo DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett ...' (From Gold Derby. 25 August 2015, 2:16 PM, PDT)