"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Video: 5 Best Sword-Fights in Movies (From The Cultural Post. 23 June 2017, 10:04 AM, PDT)
- More Cannes Winners: Diane Kruger to Become the New Isabelle Huppert + Best Director Coppola Oscar Chances? (From Alt Film Guide. 20 June 2017, 8:05 PM, PDT)
- Graphic Nature: Sam Turner on Creating the Deathgasm Vinyl Soundtrack Artwork for Death Waltz & Mondo (From DailyDead. 12 June 2017, 12:12 PM, PDT)
- Their Finest Starring Gemma Arterton Arrives on Blu-ray and DVD on July 11th from Lionsgate (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 22 June 2017, 11:16 AM, PDT)
- Win a copy of Oscar-winner ‘Moonlight’ on DVD (From The Hollywood News. 19 June 2017, 9:33 AM, PDT)
- Five Amazing Swimming Scenes in Movies (From TVovermind.com. 8 June 2017, 3:30 AM, PDT)
Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
- When two legends meet…. (From Behindwoods. 20 June 2017, 10:26 PM, PDT)
- Captured: Anupam Kher’s fanboy moment with Robert De Niro (From BollywoodHungama. 20 June 2017, 12:38 AM, PDT)
- Jacki Weaver To Co-Star In TNT Drama Pilot ‘The Deep Mad Dark’ (From Deadline TV. 19 June 2017, 9:30 AM, PDT)