"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins ‘The Jungle Book’ As Shere Khan (From The Hollywood News. 20 August 2014, 12:41 AM, PDT)
- Jungle Book: Origins (2016): Benedict Cumberbatch voicing Shere Khan (From Film-Book. 19 August 2014, 9:48 PM, PDT)
- Benedict Cumberbatch to roar as Shere Khan in Andy Serkis's 'Jungle Book' (From Hitfix. 19 August 2014, 2:41 PM, PDT)
- 'Paddington' director on the 'sad' departure of Colin Firth (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 14 August 2014, 10:46 AM, PDT)
- Watch: Celebrate the Work of Master Cinematographer Roger Deakins in Gorgeous Supercut (From Collider.com. 13 August 2014, 1:19 PM, PDT)
- Sam Smith denies James Bond rumours: 'I've no idea what that was about' (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 13 August 2014, 7:09 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Awesome Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Concept Art (From ComicBookMovie. 19 August 2014, 3:46 PM, PDT)
- 'Thor' Star Tom Hiddleston Wanted for the Lead in 'Ben-Hur' (From MovieWeb. 12 August 2014, 5:40 PM, PDT)
- Into the Storm - The Cast and Crew Speak! (From Dread Central. 6 August 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)