"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- 10 Best Movies to See in March: Wolverine's Last Stand, 'Kong' Reboot and More (From Rolling Stone. 28 February 2017, 6:09 AM, PST)
- Great Job, Internet!: School yourself on the history of horror films with YouTube’s foremost expert (From The AV Club. 27 February 2017, 12:52 PM, PST)
- Kong: Skull Island Final Trailer Reaction - This Looks Like A Journey Worth Taking! (From LRM Online. 27 February 2017, 12:10 PM, PST)
- Naomie Harris wants to see Daniel Craig back as 007 for Bond 25 (From Flickeringmyth. 26 February 2017, 12:10 PM, PST)
- Entire James Bond Team Wants Daniel Craig Back Says Naomie Harris (From MovieWeb. 24 February 2017, 12:50 PM, PST)
- James Bond 25: Naomie Harris thinks Daniel Craig will return (From Den of Geek. 23 February 2017, 11:00 PM, PST)
Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
- Kong: Skull Island gets an epic, action-packed new trailer (From Flickeringmyth. 27 February 2017, 12:14 PM, PST)
- Jeremy Piven to Star in CBS Drama Pilot ‘Wisdom of the Crowd’ (From Variety - TV News. 27 February 2017, 11:31 AM, PST)
- Top 10 Oscar Winning Moments (From Cineplex. 23 February 2017, 12:45 PM, PST)