"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Remember Me: Ray Harryhausen (1920 – 2013): Master of Illusion (From SoundOnSight. 19 May 2013, 3:44 PM, PDT)
- Doctor Who Season 8 Confirmed! (From GeekTyrant. 19 May 2013, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Cannes Film Review: ‘Jodorowsky’s Dune’ (From Variety - Film News. 19 May 2013, 1:47 AM, PDT)
- Christopher Nolan in talks for Bond 24? (From Flickeringmyth. 18 May 2013, 1:39 AM, PDT)
- From Bat to Bond: Nolan May Direct Next 007 Film (From Cinelinx. 17 May 2013, 5:23 PM, PDT)
- Christopher Nolan in Talks to Direct James Bond 24 (From Worst Previews. 17 May 2013, 5:06 PM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Costume & Weapon Designs (From ComicBookMovie. 18 May 2013, 1:55 PM, PDT)
- Iron Man 3 Soars Past $1bn. at the Global Box Office (From HeyUGuys. 17 May 2013, 12:02 PM, PDT)
- Iron Man 3 Surpasses $1 Billion Worldwide (From Beyond Hollywood. 17 May 2013, 9:47 AM, PDT)