"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Ten Best: Frightfest 2014 Movies (From Blogomatic3000. 31 August 2014, 1:30 PM, PDT)
- 10 Films That Were Secretly Remade (From Obsessed with Film. 30 August 2014, 3:20 AM, PDT)
- Wamg’s Guide To 100+ Films For Fall / Holiday 2014 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 29 August 2014, 1:49 PM, PDT)
- Bond 24 Wishlist: 10 Things That Must Happen (From Obsessed with Film. 29 August 2014, 11:58 AM, PDT)
- New Paddington Poster and a First Look at Nicole Kidman’s Sinister Taxidermist (From HeyUGuys. 28 August 2014, 10:40 AM, PDT)
- Lana Del Rey Lands Next James Bond Theme Song? (From National Ledger. 28 August 2014, 8:16 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Awesome Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Concept Art (From ComicBookMovie. 19 August 2014, 3:46 PM, PDT)
- 'Thor' Star Tom Hiddleston Wanted for the Lead in 'Ben-Hur' (From MovieWeb. 12 August 2014, 5:40 PM, PDT)
- Into the Storm - The Cast and Crew Speak! (From Dread Central. 6 August 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)