"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Five New Pictures from 'The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies' (From Rope Of Silicon. 31 July 2014, 7:19 AM, PDT)
- Orlando Bloom: Peter Jackson is gonna 'milk' the emotion in final 'Hobbit' battle (From Hitfix. 30 July 2014, 7:13 PM, PDT)
- Page 2: Star Wars, They Live, Doctor Who, Richard Linklater, GoT, Sam Jackson, Star Trek, Peter Jackson, Breaking Bad, The Wizard (From Slash Film. 30 July 2014, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Variety jumps into the deep end of crafts coverage and it's about time (From Hitfix. 30 July 2014, 3:11 PM, PDT)
- Trailer: The Imitation Game (From Pure Movies. 27 July 2014, 6:42 AM, PDT)
- #SDCC14: Penny Dreadful Season 1 Heading to Blu-ray/DVD in October (From Dread Central. 26 July 2014, 7:30 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Enter Our 'Into the Storm' Giveaway (From LatinoReview. 30 July 2014, 6:27 AM, PDT)
- Jackson On More "Smaug," "Dam Busters" Remake (From Dark Horizons. 29 July 2014, 4:47 PM, PDT)
- Peter Jackson May Add 25 Minutes To ‘The Hobbit 2’ On DVD, Still Hopes To Make ‘The Dam Busters’ (From The Playlist. 29 July 2014, 11:34 AM, PDT)