"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" absolutely dominated the box office this weekend, as according to Film.com, the first installment of Peter Jackson's adaptation of the beloved J.R.R. Tolkien novel brought in a staggering $84.8 million.
That was nearly twice as much as every other film combined, though there were some bright spots for the also-rans. "Lincoln," for instance, passed the $100 million mark domestically, while "Silver Linings Playbook" crept into the top ten thanks to award season buzz.
- Scott Harris
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Another New The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies Poster (From TheMovieBit. 23 October 2014, 2:38 AM, PDT)
- Hobbits Take Flight Once Again In The Most Epic Safety Video Ever Made (From Obsessed with Film. 23 October 2014, 1:26 AM, PDT)
- ‘The Hobbit’ Takes Over Air New Zealand's ‘Most Epic Safety Video Ever Made’ (Video) (From The Wrap. 22 October 2014, 11:59 PM, PDT)
- Creepy New Trailer for The Woman In Black: Angel Of Death (From GeekTyrant. 22 October 2014, 9:17 AM, PDT)
- Watch Out Behind You, It's a New 'Woman in Black 2' Trailer (From Rope Of Silicon. 22 October 2014, 8:02 AM, PDT)
- Enid Blyton's The Magic Faraway Tree heading to the movies (From Den of Geek. 22 October 2014, 2:10 AM, PDT)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Check Out Elijah Wood and Peter Jackson in This Commercial for Air New Zealand (From Moviefone. 22 October 2014, 9:15 AM, PDT)
- This Beloved Lord Of The Rings Actor Will Be In The Hobbit 3 (From Cinema Blend. 21 October 2014, 9:36 AM, PDT)
- Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Release: Into the Storm (From Disc Dish. 7 October 2014, 2:17 PM, PDT)