Actor attacks French government for punishing talent as he moves to Belgium
Gérard Depardieu has said he is handing back his French passport and social security card, lambasting the French government for punishing "success, creation, talent" in his homeland.
A popular and colourful figure in France, the 63-year-old actor is the latest wealthy Frenchman to seek shelter outside his native country by buying a house just over the border in Belgium in response to tax increases by the Socialist president, François Hollande.
"Pathetic, you said pathetic? How pathetic is that?" Depardieu said in a letter to the weekly newspaper le Journal du Dimanche.
"I am leaving because you believe that success, creation, talent, anything different must be sanctioned, »
Similar News ItemsGérard Depardieu
- 5 Maurice Pialat Classics Returning to Theaters (From Thompson on Hollywood. 26 August 2015, 12:15 PM, PDT)
- Netflix Hikes Eurozone Prices For New Subscribers (From Variety - Film News. 18 August 2015, 5:45 AM, PDT)
- When did Colonel Sanders get so incredibly creepy? (From Hitfix. 17 August 2015, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- Live Through This: Courtney Love attacked by mob of taxi drivers, tweets throughout (From Hitfix. 25 June 2015, 9:46 AM, PDT)
- Hot projects on Screenbase (From ScreenDaily. 9 January 2015, 4:20 AM, PST)
- French, Us guilds condemn Charlie Hebdo massacre (From ScreenDaily. 7 January 2015, 5:13 PM, PST)
Cyrano de Bergerac (1990)
- Simon Perry talks Film Vast slate (From ScreenDaily. 19 August 2015, 4:05 AM, PDT)
- Tiff ’15: ‘Families’ trailer shows a rom-com farce for a ‘Grand Budapest Hotel’ star (From SoundOnSight. 28 July 2015, 8:52 AM, PDT)
- AFI Honoree Steve Martin Is More Than Just a Comedian (From Variety - Film News. 4 June 2015, 12:14 PM, PDT)