Actor attacks French government for punishing talent as he moves to Belgium
Gérard Depardieu has said he is handing back his French passport and social security card, lambasting the French government for punishing "success, creation, talent" in his homeland.
A popular and colourful figure in France, the 63-year-old actor is the latest wealthy Frenchman to seek shelter outside his native country by buying a house just over the border in Belgium in response to tax increases by the Socialist president, François Hollande.
"Pathetic, you said pathetic? How pathetic is that?" Depardieu said in a letter to the weekly newspaper le Journal du Dimanche.
"I am leaving because you believe that success, creation, talent, anything different must be sanctioned, »
Similar News ItemsGérard Depardieu
- Viktor | Review (From ioncinema. 14 November 2014, 2:00 PM, PST)
- Jamie Dornan on Not Going Full Frontal in 'Fifty Shades of Grey,' Being a Feminist (From The Hollywood Reporter. 3 November 2014, 2:37 AM, PST)
- With Viktor, Gérard Depardieu Gets His Own Taken (From Village Voice. 21 October 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- France 4 invites nation to descend into television Anarchy (From The Guardian - TV News. 31 October 2014, 6:06 AM, PDT)
- Prince William and Kate Middleton Travel to Belgium for World War I Commemorative Events (From E! Online. 4 August 2014, 4:35 AM, PDT)
- Pictures! Shah Rukh Khan Honored with French “Knight of the Legion of Honour” (From Bollyspice. 2 July 2014, 8:19 AM, PDT)
Cyrano de Bergerac (1990)
- Goalpost finds lovers for Holding The Man (From ScreenDaily. 4 September 2014, 12:00 AM, PDT)
- Mistresses Season 2 Finale Recap: Bride Goeth Before a Fall (From TVLine.com. 1 September 2014, 8:29 PM, PDT)
- By The Sword (From Trailers from Hell. 2 August 2014, 1:00 PM, PDT)