Actor attacks French government for punishing talent as he moves to Belgium
Gérard Depardieu has said he is handing back his French passport and social security card, lambasting the French government for punishing "success, creation, talent" in his homeland.
A popular and colourful figure in France, the 63-year-old actor is the latest wealthy Frenchman to seek shelter outside his native country by buying a house just over the border in Belgium in response to tax increases by the Socialist president, François Hollande.
"Pathetic, you said pathetic? How pathetic is that?" Depardieu said in a letter to the weekly newspaper le Journal du Dimanche.
"I am leaving because you believe that success, creation, talent, anything different must be sanctioned, »
Similar News ItemsGérard Depardieu
- Exclusive: Abel Ferrara on 'Ms. 45,' Porn, and Grindhouse (From FEARnet. 10 December 2013, 5:00 PM, PST)
- Les Arcs Fest Incubates Arthouse Films With Commercial Potential (From Variety - Film News. 3 December 2013, 8:00 AM, PST)
- Les Arcs unveils co-pro and work-in-progress titles (From ScreenDaily. 14 November 2013, 2:52 AM, PST)
Cyrano de Bergerac (1990)
- Cinema Paradiso and the rise of the postcard-arthouse movie (From The Guardian - Film News. 5 December 2013, 12:30 AM, PST)
- Clemence Poesy: International Star You Should Know (From Variety - Film News. 20 November 2013, 8:15 AM, PST)
- Justin Long's Short List of Career Musts (From Entertainment Tonight. 6 November 2013, 1:11 PM, PST)
- Meme: Peter O’Toole Has Passed, Arsenio Hall Checks Kanye West Hard, Christmas Is About To Get “Vicious” (From The Backlot. 16 December 2013, 4:57 AM, PST)
- Cage aux Folles director Édouard Molinaro dies (From The Guardian - Film News. 9 December 2013, 2:16 AM, PST)
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BSkyB Opens Sky Store To Nonsubscribers; Netflix Eyeing France Launch?; More; (From Deadline TV. 4 December 2013, 10:00 PM, PST)