Actor attacks French government for punishing talent as he moves to Belgium
Gérard Depardieu has said he is handing back his French passport and social security card, lambasting the French government for punishing "success, creation, talent" in his homeland.
A popular and colourful figure in France, the 63-year-old actor is the latest wealthy Frenchman to seek shelter outside his native country by buying a house just over the border in Belgium in response to tax increases by the Socialist president, François Hollande.
"Pathetic, you said pathetic? How pathetic is that?" Depardieu said in a letter to the weekly newspaper le Journal du Dimanche.
"I am leaving because you believe that success, creation, talent, anything different must be sanctioned, »
Similar News ItemsGérard Depardieu
- Bérénice Bejo: 'The Artist was a gift. But I thought I was really good' (From The Guardian - Film News. 25 May 2013, 4:03 PM, PDT)
- The hottest French film star of 2013: Omar Sy (From The Guardian - Film News. 25 May 2013, 1:03 AM, PDT)
- Liz Hurley and Gérard Depardieu's Chechnya adventure: the story so far (From The Guardian - Film News. 23 May 2013, 4:00 PM, PDT)
Cyrano de Bergerac (1990)
- Hollywood Snubs at Broadway Awards Include Johansson, Weaver, MIdler, Rudd (From Alt Film Guide. 30 April 2013, 5:41 PM, PDT)
- Tony awards 2013: nominations in full (From The Guardian - Film News. 30 April 2013, 7:39 AM, PDT)
- 2013 Tony Award nominees full list: Tom Hanks up, Cyndi Lauper's 'Kinky Boots' leads with 13 (From Pop2it. 30 April 2013, 7:18 AM, PDT)
- Gérard Depardieu says Chechnya not to blame over Boston Marathon bombing (From The Guardian - Film News. 23 May 2013, 3:38 AM, PDT)
- Michel Hazanavicius lambasts French film industry (From The Guardian - Film News. 7 May 2013, 5:39 AM, PDT)
- François Hollande: from Mr Normal to Mr Weak (From The Guardian - Film News. 27 April 2013, 4:10 PM, PDT)