Actor attacks French government for punishing talent as he moves to Belgium
Gérard Depardieu has said he is handing back his French passport and social security card, lambasting the French government for punishing "success, creation, talent" in his homeland.
A popular and colourful figure in France, the 63-year-old actor is the latest wealthy Frenchman to seek shelter outside his native country by buying a house just over the border in Belgium in response to tax increases by the Socialist president, François Hollande.
"Pathetic, you said pathetic? How pathetic is that?" Depardieu said in a letter to the weekly newspaper le Journal du Dimanche.
"I am leaving because you believe that success, creation, talent, anything different must be sanctioned, »
Similar News ItemsGérard Depardieu
- Film Festival Roundup: AFI Fest Adds ‘La La Land’ Gala, London Awards Kelly Reichardt’s ‘Certain Women’ and More (From Indiewire. 20 October 2016, 12:00 PM, PDT)
- Gerard Depardieu, Santiago Segura Star in ‘You Only Live Once’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 17 October 2016, 11:10 PM, PDT)
- Expanding Mallorca Film Festival sets 2016 programme (From ScreenDaily. 17 October 2016, 3:05 AM, PDT)
- ‘Versailles’ Breaks Drama Launch Ratings on Ovation TV (From Variety - TV News. 10 October 2016, 4:22 AM, PDT)
- Film Acquisition Rundown: Open Road Films Picks Up ‘Home Again,’ Zeitgeist Film Grabs ‘Harold and Lillian’ And More (From Indiewire. 23 September 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Yann Arthus-Bertrand’s Documentary ‘Human’ Bought by Kino Lorber (From Variety - Film News. 19 September 2016, 6:00 AM, PDT)
Cyrano de Bergerac (1990)
- “La La Land” takes the Audience Award at the Toronto Film Festival (From Hollywoodnews.com. 19 September 2016, 9:14 AM, PDT)
- A Brief History of Toronto’s People’s Choice Award and the Oscars (From Variety - Film News. 18 September 2016, 12:08 PM, PDT)
- Efa to honour Jean-Claude Carrière (From ScreenDaily. 13 September 2016, 5:15 AM, PDT)