When your leading characters are a witch, a broomstick and a jealous cat, it might seem odd to be worried about "keeping it real", but children's laureate Julia Donaldson and the creators of Room on the Broom, the BBC's specially commissioned Christmas Day film, were determined to do just that.
The half-hour animation of Donaldson's beloved picture book has now earned her the coveted after-lunch slot on BBC1 for the third time, making The Gruffalo author a seasonal institution. But whatever the age of her intended audience, or the improbability of the plot, the need to conjure up a convincing fantasy world was paramount, she said, in an age when Hobbit-style technical innovation can overwhelm the viewer.
"What is so lovely about the film is the »
- Vanessa Thorpe
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Weta's VFX Breakdown for The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug (From GeekTyrant. 15 March 2014, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- 'The Toxic Avenger' Remake Moves Forward Without Arnold Schwarzenegger | Exclusive (From MovieWeb. 14 March 2014, 4:44 PM, PDT)
- Walk of Fame Honoree Kate Winslet Keeps Raising the Bar (From Variety - Film News. 12 March 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- SXSW 2014: Tom Savini and Director Alexandre Philippe Talk Doc Of The Dead Documentary, Their Favorite Zombie Performances, Torture Porn, and More (From Collider.com. 16 March 2014, 7:56 AM, PDT)
- Movies About Movies: Three SXSW Documentaries That Examine Zombies, the World After 'Clueless,' and Dick Miller (From Movies.com. 14 March 2014, 12:00 PM, PDT)
- Tom Savini Explains The Enduring Appeal of Zombies, In Film and On TV (From Indiewire. 14 March 2014, 9:13 AM, PDT)
Sally Hawkins (I)
- Place Your Order with this First Clip from The Double (From Dread Central. 14 March 2014, 1:23 PM, PDT)
- Oscars®: Will either of the movies about doppelgangers be up the Academy’s alley? (From Hollywoodnews.com. 14 March 2014, 7:22 AM, PDT)
- Thn’s Godzilla Countdown #21: Godzilla Vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994) (From The Hollywood News. 14 March 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)