When your leading characters are a witch, a broomstick and a jealous cat, it might seem odd to be worried about "keeping it real", but children's laureate Julia Donaldson and the creators of Room on the Broom, the BBC's specially commissioned Christmas Day film, were determined to do just that.
The half-hour animation of Donaldson's beloved picture book has now earned her the coveted after-lunch slot on BBC1 for the third time, making The Gruffalo author a seasonal institution. But whatever the age of her intended audience, or the improbability of the plot, the need to conjure up a convincing fantasy world was paramount, she said, in an age when Hobbit-style technical innovation can overwhelm the viewer.
"What is so lovely about the film is the »
- Vanessa Thorpe
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Andy Serkis Talks The Avengers: Age Of Ultron (From EmpireOnline. 26 November 2014, 1:00 AM, PST)
- Peter Jackson says the final battle in The Hobbit will be 20-25 minutes (From JoBlo. 25 November 2014, 9:09 AM, PST)
- Amazon Early Black Friday Deals: X-Men Dofp Blu-ray Under $10, Lord of the Rings Sale (From TheHDRoom. 25 November 2014, 8:17 AM, PST)
- Rik Mayall tribute, McIntyre Xmas show join BBC's Christmas line-up (From Digital Spy - TV news. 25 November 2014, 4:25 AM, PST)
- Katniss Hot With $154.3M, ‘Interstellar’ Logs $330.6M: Int’l B.O. – Update (From Deadline New York. 24 November 2014, 6:05 PM, PST)
- 10 Things You Never Noticed In The Cornetto Trilogy (From Obsessed with Film. 21 November 2014, 12:30 PM, PST)
Sally Hawkins (I)
- Film Review: 'Paddington' (From CineVue. 26 November 2014, 12:55 AM, PST)
- Paddington Review (From We Got This Covered. 25 November 2014, 11:04 AM, PST)
- Asa Butterfield Does Math to Relate to the World in 'X+Y' UK Trailer (From FirstShowing.net. 25 November 2014, 7:53 AM, PST)