"Today we are cancelling the apocalypse!"
From the beginning, we've been anxiously awaiting Guillermo del Toro's upcoming sci-fi monster movie, Pacific Rim, a project the director has called "the biggest giant monster movie ever made." Del Toro has admitted that Pacific Rim would be inspired by "the kaiju genre in Japan," the subgenre that introduced Godzilla and other "giant monster" movies to audiences. However, at AICN's annual Butt-Numb-a-Thon, del Toro said that Pacific Rim was "a movie made by a fan but not a fan film," so that anyone that watches it, regardless of their knowledge of kaiju movies would still "get a boner."
The first footage from Pacific Rim was unveiled at Comic-Con this summer, but unless you were there in Hall H, the first trailer for the movie is most people's first opportunity to see del Toro's monsters do battle with massive robots called Jaegers, which are controlled by two human pilots. »
- Ryan Gowland
Similar News ItemsGuillermo del Toro
- Wrap of Con: The 10 movies from Comic-Con we're most excited to see (From Cineplex. 30 July 2014, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Director Brian Trenchard-Smith talks John Cusack thriller 'Drive Hard' (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 30 July 2014, 1:40 PM, PDT)
- Guillermo del Toro Talks ‘Crimson Peak’ Design, Book Tie-in and Shooting in Toronto (From Screen Rant. 30 July 2014, 8:47 AM, PDT)
Pacific Rim (2013)
- Geek Deal: Pacific Rim Collector’s Edition For 55% Off (From Slash Film. 30 July 2014, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Blu-ray Deals: Pacific Rim Collector’s Edition and Predator Bundle Over 50% Off (From Collider.com. 30 July 2014, 8:39 AM, PDT)
- #SDCC14: The Dowdle Brothers Talk As Above So Below and More (From Dread Central. 29 July 2014, 1:26 PM, PDT)