Lgb people 'still relatively invisible' on television and still stereotyped, according to BBC-commissioned report
Read the BBC report on portrayal of Lgb people
The BBC should be bolder and more creative with its depiction of lesbian, gay and bisexual people who are still sidelined and stereotyped on television, according to a new report.
The BBC-commissioned review said lesbian, gay and bisexual (Lgb) people were "still relatively invisible" across all media, "especially lesbian women and bisexual people".
Where they were represented in the broadcast media, said the report, "this representation still needs to reflect the diversity of Lgb people and to avoid stereotypes".
It called on the BBC to feature more Lgb people across its television output, in particular in children's programming and in sport, and to be more nuanced in its coverage of Lgb issues in BBC News.
The report, into the media portrayal of Lgb audiences, featured interviews with »
- John Plunkett
Similar News Items"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Black Friday Deals: 'Star Trek', 'Homeland' & 'Downton Abbey' Blu-rays on Sale! (From Rope Of Silicon. 23 November 2014, 9:56 AM, PST)
- New character posters for Paddington (From Flickeringmyth. 23 November 2014, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Trailer Report: 'Cinderella' Shatters Disney Record (From The Hollywood Reporter. 20 November 2014, 10:42 AM, PST)
- I'm a Celebrity edges Strictly with over 10m, X Factor rises to 8.2m (From Digital Spy - TV news. 17 November 2014, 2:27 AM, PST)
- Peter Capaldi And Mark Gatiss Have Interesting Ideas for Future Doctor Who Encounters (From The Hollywood News. 17 November 2014, 1:46 AM, PST)
- Downton Abbey dips to 7.92m for finale, Strictly beats X Factor (From Digital Spy - TV news. 10 November 2014, 3:10 AM, PST)
"BBC News 24" (1997)
- Sean Bean to star in TV’s ‘Frankenstein Chronicles’ (From SoundOnSight. 17 November 2014, 11:27 AM, PST)
- Panorama makes headlines with ‘Fake Sheikh’ – but faces a narrower outlook (From The Guardian - TV News. 16 November 2014, 10:09 AM, PST)
- Warren Clarke has died aged 67 (From Virgin Media - TV. 12 November 2014, 6:00 AM, PST)