DVD Release Date: Dec. 11, 2013
Price: DVD $24.95
The controversial 1964 racial drama Black Like Me stars the late James Whitmore as a white journalist who darkens his skin and passes for a black man in the deep South, where he encounters a great deal of racism from both white and black people.
Co-written and directed by Carl Lerner, the film is based on the landmark memoir of the same name by John Howard Griffin, who used pigment dyes and sun lamps to blend into “negro” society and gain a true perspective on what it was like to live as a black in the deep Jim Crow south.
Restored from its original negative for this release (it was available previously in an inferior edition but has long been out of print), the DVD of Black Like Me wil include »
Similar News ItemsJames Whitmore
- Bugging Out: 5 of the Greatest Killer Bug Flicks (From Dread Central. 12 June 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Godzilla, Giant Ants, and Other Monsters - and Mickey Rooney: May '14 at LoC's Packard (From Alt Film Guide. 21 April 2014, 5:49 PM, PDT)
- Hollywood! Adapt This: Them! (From Collider.com. 27 October 2013, 8:32 AM, PDT)
- 'The Waltons' dad Ralph Waite dies at age 85 (From EW.com - Inside TV. 13 February 2014, 6:12 PM, PST)
- 2002 Movie About Film Decomposition Included Among National Film Registry's 2013 Inductees (From Alt Film Guide. 20 December 2013, 1:44 PM, PST)
- The Parallax View: a JFK conspiracy film that gets it right (From The Guardian - Film News. 19 November 2013, 3:46 AM, PST)
Roscoe Lee Browne
- Re-Viewed: Logan's Run changed sci-fi blockbusters forever (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 19 October 2014, 1:30 AM, PDT)
- Tommy Lee Jones Rides Into The Sunset With The Cowboys (From We Got This Covered. 6 September 2013, 8:10 AM, PDT)
- Disney 53: Oliver & Company (From The Hollywood News. 14 July 2013, 11:45 AM, PDT)