By the early 1990′s, the American Western was all but considered a dead genre in film. Clint Eastwood’s Unforgiven was considered by many to be the last great western and somewhat of a farewell to the genre. When Maverick (1994) was produced, many believed the classic TV western remake would do poorly. What resulted was one of the highest grossing westerns in history.
Maverick is a western comedy starring Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, and James Garner. For this film, Gibson is the iconic western figure Maverick. Maverick is a con artist and poker player who is trying to show that he has a gift for the game.
Foster plays Annabelle Bransford, a female card player who is trying to prove that she is just as capable as any male both in cards and in life. Garner plays Marshal Zane Cooper. Not much is known about Cooper except he has spent his life in law enforcement. »
- Marc Eastman
Similar News ItemsClint Eastwood
- The HeyUGuys Interview: Frank Grillo discusses The Purge: Anarchy (From HeyUGuys. 22 July 2014, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Review: Elderhood Documentary 'Alive Inside' Is Vital & Important (From The Playlist. 21 July 2014, 2:03 PM, PDT)
- James Garner, Hollywood Icon, Dead At Age 86 (From CinemaRetro. 20 July 2014, 10:39 AM, PDT)
Mel Gibson (I)
- Icons Upon Icons featurette for The Expendables 3 (From Flickeringmyth. 23 July 2014, 12:42 AM, PDT)
- 6 More Photos from Mad Max: Fury Road (From GeekTyrant. 22 July 2014, 6:15 AM, PDT)
- Colourful Comic-Con Posters Released For ‘The Expendables 3′ (From The Hollywood News. 22 July 2014, 12:51 AM, PDT)
- A True Maverick: Top 10 Films of James Garner (1928-2014) (From SoundOnSight. 20 July 2014, 3:53 PM, PDT)
- James Garner has Died at the Age of 86 (From Rope Of Silicon. 20 July 2014, 9:54 AM, PDT)
- Appreciating the relaxed genius of the late James Garner (From Hitfix. 20 July 2014, 1:10 AM, PDT)