Did the French star buy a house in Belgium to get away from it all, or just to get away from François Hollande's millionaires' tax?
What would Asterix make of it? Actor Gérard Depardieu, the celebrated Gallic hero's cinema sidekick, is leaving France and going north of the border.
The 63-year-old star has bought a house in the Belgian frontier town of Nechin to add to a property portfolio that includes a chateau in Anjou, vineyards in France, Morocco, Spain, Italy, Argentina, Algeria and Ukraine, three Paris restaurants, a fish shop and a motorbike concession.
Daniel Senesael, the mayor of Nechin (population 2,000), announced that Depardieu had purchased the former local customs officer's house and would be moving in immediately.
So what attracted the millionaire actor to an unremarkable property (described by one neighbour as "not that pretty") in a foreign tax haven 10 paces from France and 15 minutes by car »
- Kim Willsher
Similar News ItemsGérard Depardieu
- BFI London Film Festival 2015 Line-Up announced with Gala screenings of Steve Jobs, High-Rise, Trumbo, Black Mass, Carol & Suffragette (From SoundOnSight. 1 September 2015, 9:50 AM, PDT)
- 5 Maurice Pialat Classics Returning to Theaters (From Thompson on Hollywood. 26 August 2015, 12:15 PM, PDT)
- Netflix Hikes Eurozone Prices For New Subscribers (From Variety - Film News. 18 August 2015, 5:45 AM, PDT)
- Live Through This: Courtney Love attacked by mob of taxi drivers, tweets throughout (From Hitfix. 25 June 2015, 9:46 AM, PDT)
- Hot projects on Screenbase (From ScreenDaily. 9 January 2015, 4:20 AM, PST)
- French, Us guilds condemn Charlie Hebdo massacre (From ScreenDaily. 7 January 2015, 5:13 PM, PST)
Cyrano de Bergerac (1990)
- Simon Perry talks Film Vast slate (From ScreenDaily. 19 August 2015, 4:05 AM, PDT)
- Tiff ’15: ‘Families’ trailer shows a rom-com farce for a ‘Grand Budapest Hotel’ star (From SoundOnSight. 28 July 2015, 8:52 AM, PDT)
- AFI Honoree Steve Martin Is More Than Just a Comedian (From Variety - Film News. 4 June 2015, 12:14 PM, PDT)