The British star of the hit Us series on success, good luck and the lack of black leading roles
David Harewood is touchingly grateful for what he calls his "extraordinary good luck" this year. He's spent the last 27 years slogging it out in British theatre with the odd leading film and TV role here and there but landing the role of David Estes, the director of the CIA, in this year's hit TV show, Homeland, has been, he says, "a second birth".
There's a poignant entry on his Twitter feed from earlier this year. "Shirt and tie combo sorted. Dry cleaner next. Amazing really, two years ago in the UK I couldn't get arrested, now I'm off to the Emmys."
It's a reference to the fact that he was unemployed for a year prior to Homeland. Despite critically reviewed roles in everything from Othello at the National to a supporting »
- Carole Cadwalladr
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Obama’s Celebrate Their Final Musical Event at the White House (From PEOPLE.com. 21 October 2016, 8:43 PM, PDT)
- ‘Barry,’ New Netflix Film On Obama’s College Days, Teaser & Release Date (From Uinterview. 21 October 2016, 2:23 PM, PDT)
- Bill Murray Crashes White House Press Briefing to Talk Baseball (From PEOPLE.com. 21 October 2016, 1:23 PM, PDT)
- 10 Hot Actors You Forgot Were in Horror Movies (From BuzzSugar. 21 October 2016, 9:10 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play Elvis Producer Sam Phillips in Upcoming Biopic (From Rolling Stone. 21 October 2016, 6:14 PM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘Before the Flood’ (From Variety - Film News. 21 October 2016, 4:51 PM, PDT)
- How FilmRise Will Spend $27 Million in 6 Months (And Why The Distributor Has Offers For More) (From Indiewire. 20 October 2016, 9:15 AM, PDT)
- Daniel Radcliffe in Imperium Available on Blu-Ray, DVD, and Digital HD November 1 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 19 October 2016, 7:37 PM, PDT)
- Supergirl’s David Harewood on Finding Fame at 50: ‘I Feel Like a Kardashian in Vancouver’ (From PEOPLE.com. 19 October 2016, 2:53 PM, PDT)