The film of Tolkien's classic will take us back to a happier, simpler time
Dragons, dwarfs, magical rings and benevolent wizards: Britain is about to embark on a quest for escapism. As the first film in Peter Jackson's trilogy based on Jrr Tolkien's epic, The Hobbit, premieres on Wednesday, millions of cinemagoers are ready to believe that trolls are real, trees can talk and many of our most venerated actors, from Ian Holm to Barry Humphries, are only four feet tall.
But it's not the fantasy that draws us, it's the nostalgia. We will be, in Tolkien's words, "walking in a world that was no more" – back in the Shire, a rural idyll where village folk ride on ponies and no one ever need worry about locking the front door of their burrow.
Martin Freeman, who plays Bilbo, the eponymous hobbit, is perfectly cast: he epitomises our national combination of decency and derring-do. »
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug tops the UK box office chart (From Flickeringmyth. 18 December 2013, 9:38 AM, PST)
- Destroy All Monsters: Why We Ship (From Twitch. 18 December 2013, 7:00 AM, PST)
- 'The Prince of Egypt' anniversary: The 10 greatest songs from (non-Disney!) animated musicals -- Video (From EW.com - PopWatch. 18 December 2013, 6:30 AM, PST)
Martin Freeman (II)
- UK box office: Hobbit anything but desolated (From The Guardian - Film News. 18 December 2013, 9:57 AM, PST)
- Clues to Sherlock the movie (From The Guardian - Film News. 18 December 2013, 4:23 AM, PST)
- Clues to Sherlock the movie (From The Guardian - TV News. 18 December 2013, 4:23 AM, PST)
- Watch The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by numbers (From Flickeringmyth. 18 December 2013, 2:30 AM, PST)
- Yet another new poster for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (From Flickeringmyth. 17 December 2013, 2:41 AM, PST)
- The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Spoiler Podcast (From EmpireOnline. 15 December 2013, 4:12 PM, PST)