The film of Tolkien's classic will take us back to a happier, simpler time
Dragons, dwarfs, magical rings and benevolent wizards: Britain is about to embark on a quest for escapism. As the first film in Peter Jackson's trilogy based on Jrr Tolkien's epic, The Hobbit, premieres on Wednesday, millions of cinemagoers are ready to believe that trolls are real, trees can talk and many of our most venerated actors, from Ian Holm to Barry Humphries, are only four feet tall.
But it's not the fantasy that draws us, it's the nostalgia. We will be, in Tolkien's words, "walking in a world that was no more" – back in the Shire, a rural idyll where village folk ride on ponies and no one ever need worry about locking the front door of their burrow.
Martin Freeman, who plays Bilbo, the eponymous hobbit, is perfectly cast: he epitomises our national combination of decency and derring-do. »
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Harry Potter Director to Return for ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Spinoff (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 21 August 2014, 11:27 AM, PDT)
- ‘Hunger Games,’ ‘Divergent’ Franchises Coming to TNT (From Variety - TV News. 21 August 2014, 10:10 AM, PDT)
- ‘Hunger Games,’ ‘Divergent’ Franchises Coming to TNT (From Variety - Film News. 21 August 2014, 10:10 AM, PDT)
Martin Freeman (II)
- You either believe in it or you don't: the future of the BBC | Charlotte Higgins (From The Guardian - TV News. 20 August 2014, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Emmys: Who Should Win in the Miniseries and Movie Races? (From Vulture. 20 August 2014, 10:15 AM, PDT)
- Will Martin Freeman pull off double Emmy upset with dual roles in 'Fargo' & 'Sherlock'? (From Gold Derby. 19 August 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- Alien: 35th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray Release Details & Cover Art (From DailyDead. 8 August 2014, 10:07 AM, PDT)
- New Hobbit 3,Battle Of Five Armies Movie Pic Shows All The Dwarves Ready For Battle (From OnTheFlix. 31 July 2014, 2:41 PM, PDT)
- The Company of Dwarves in new image from The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (From Flickeringmyth. 31 July 2014, 2:35 PM, PDT)