The film of Tolkien's classic will take us back to a happier, simpler time
Dragons, dwarfs, magical rings and benevolent wizards: Britain is about to embark on a quest for escapism. As the first film in Peter Jackson's trilogy based on Jrr Tolkien's epic, The Hobbit, premieres on Wednesday, millions of cinemagoers are ready to believe that trolls are real, trees can talk and many of our most venerated actors, from Ian Holm to Barry Humphries, are only four feet tall.
But it's not the fantasy that draws us, it's the nostalgia. We will be, in Tolkien's words, "walking in a world that was no more" – back in the Shire, a rural idyll where village folk ride on ponies and no one ever need worry about locking the front door of their burrow.
Martin Freeman, who plays Bilbo, the eponymous hobbit, is perfectly cast: he epitomises our national combination of decency and derring-do. »
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Peter Jackson Praises Valerian as One of the Best Films In Years (From Screen Rant. 21 July 2017, 2:29 PM, PDT)
- Preacher season 2 episode 5 review: Dallas (From Den of Geek. 18 July 2017, 1:36 AM, PDT)
- 16 Stars Who Went to Comic-Con in Disguise, From Justin Timberlake to Henry Cavill (Photos) (From The Wrap. 17 July 2017, 3:15 PM, PDT)
Martin Freeman (II)
- Sherlock Co-Creator Hints At What The Future Holds For Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sleuth (From We Got This Covered. 20 July 2017, 1:41 PM, PDT)
- Sdcc: Comic-Con artwork for Marvel’s Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther (From Flickeringmyth. 20 July 2017, 10:49 AM, PDT)
- Sherlock Season 5 May Not Arrive Until 2020 – If It Arrives At All (From We Got This Covered. 18 July 2017, 1:28 PM, PDT)
- The Top Five Ian Holm Movie Roles of His Career (From TVovermind.com. 11 June 2017, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- Tomorrow’s World: Part 1 – Why Terry Gilliam’s Brazil represents our near future (From Flickeringmyth. 10 June 2017, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- Christopher Nolan Curates BFI Series on the Influences of ‘Dunkirk’ (From The Film Stage. 25 May 2017, 5:09 AM, PDT)