The film of Tolkien's classic will take us back to a happier, simpler time
Dragons, dwarfs, magical rings and benevolent wizards: Britain is about to embark on a quest for escapism. As the first film in Peter Jackson's trilogy based on Jrr Tolkien's epic, The Hobbit, premieres on Wednesday, millions of cinemagoers are ready to believe that trolls are real, trees can talk and many of our most venerated actors, from Ian Holm to Barry Humphries, are only four feet tall.
But it's not the fantasy that draws us, it's the nostalgia. We will be, in Tolkien's words, "walking in a world that was no more" – back in the Shire, a rural idyll where village folk ride on ponies and no one ever need worry about locking the front door of their burrow.
Martin Freeman, who plays Bilbo, the eponymous hobbit, is perfectly cast: he epitomises our national combination of decency and derring-do. »
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- The Most Disappointing: Our Insatiable Appetite for More (From Flickeringmyth. 27 May 2015, 12:52 PM, PDT)
- "The Hobbit" Finally Arrives with "The Battle of the Five Armies" (From JustPressPlay. 26 May 2015, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- The most satisfying movie threequels (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 21 May 2015, 4:01 PM, PDT)
Martin Freeman (II)
- Frank Grillo talks Crossbones in Captain America: Civil War (From Flickeringmyth. 28 May 2015, 12:37 AM, PDT)
- 16 amazing moments from Never Mind the Buzzcocks: Huey smashes a mug, Preston storms off, Dappy flies in (From Digital Spy - TV news. 26 May 2015, 7:21 AM, PDT)
- New Captain America: Civil War Set Photos Reveal Paul Rudd, Robert Downey Jr. (From Collider.com. 22 May 2015, 9:17 AM, PDT)
- Oscar-Nominated Film Series: Bates Suffers in Contrived, Overlong Drama About Christian Persecution of Jews (From Alt Film Guide. 12 May 2015, 7:17 PM, PDT)
- Oscar-Nominated Film Series: Dazzling-Looking Russian Revolution Epic Much Too Old-Fashioned (From Alt Film Guide. 7 May 2015, 2:50 PM, PDT)
- Jesus is Alive: The original superhero on film (From Flickeringmyth. 3 April 2015, 8:33 AM, PDT)