The film of Tolkien's classic will take us back to a happier, simpler time
Dragons, dwarfs, magical rings and benevolent wizards: Britain is about to embark on a quest for escapism. As the first film in Peter Jackson's trilogy based on Jrr Tolkien's epic, The Hobbit, premieres on Wednesday, millions of cinemagoers are ready to believe that trolls are real, trees can talk and many of our most venerated actors, from Ian Holm to Barry Humphries, are only four feet tall.
But it's not the fantasy that draws us, it's the nostalgia. We will be, in Tolkien's words, "walking in a world that was no more" – back in the Shire, a rural idyll where village folk ride on ponies and no one ever need worry about locking the front door of their burrow.
Martin Freeman, who plays Bilbo, the eponymous hobbit, is perfectly cast: he epitomises our national combination of decency and derring-do. »
Similar News ItemsPeter Jackson (I)
- Kong: Skull Island Director Likely Won’t Return For Another Film (From LRM Online. 24 April 2017, 12:57 PM, PDT)
- Three more join the cast of Peter Jackson’s Mortal Engines (From Flickeringmyth. 24 April 2017, 12:50 AM, PDT)
- Arrow Star Colin Salmon One Of Three New Additions To Mortal Engines (From We Got This Covered. 21 April 2017, 6:32 AM, PDT)
Martin Freeman (II)
- Hilary Swank Joins FX’s ‘Trust’: Why That’s a Smart Move After 4 Years on the Sidelines (From Indiewire Television. 26 April 2017, 12:40 PM, PDT)
- Hilary Swank Joins FX’s ‘Trust’: Why That’s a Smart Move After 4 Years on the Sidelines (From Indiewire. 26 April 2017, 12:40 PM, PDT)
- The Zx Spectrum celebrates its 35th Anniversary – #HappyBirthdaySpectrum (From Flickeringmyth. 23 April 2017, 12:30 AM, PDT)
- The Most Disappointing Year in Movies (From FilmSchoolRejects. 25 April 2017, 10:02 AM, PDT)
- ‘Alien’ Evolution: Explore Every Stage in the Xenomorph’s Gruesome Life Cycle (From Indiewire. 25 April 2017, 7:27 AM, PDT)
- ‘Leaning Into The Wind’ Is A Worthy Sequel To Documentary Smash ‘Rivers And Tides’ — Sf Film Festival Review (From Indiewire. 12 April 2017, 8:53 AM, PDT)