The actor on making Julie and Julia, and his early food experiences in New York
Concetta, my mother's mother, was an amazing cook. After she had a stroke, in her late 80s, which almost paralysed her left arm, she used the kneading of dough as therapy. Just after she had her arm amputated the family distracted her by asking how to make stuffed artichokes.
She died the same year as my food film Big Night came out. But she got to see it, with all the family. She was very taciturn, didn't talk much, but she liked the film.
When I exercise I watch cooking DVDs on the running machine, or other equipment in the home gym. I love to exercise. I'm obsessed with that, like food. So I can spend the whole day sweating to Nigel Slater.
At 19 I worked as a bartender in an Italian restaurant in NY. »
- John Hind
Similar News ItemsMeryl Streep
- 'Steve Jobs' and 6 of the most anticipated movies of the year are coming to Telluride (From Hitfix. 3 September 2015, 8:13 AM, PDT)
- Telluride Film Festival Books Johnny Depp’s ‘Black Mass,’ Michael Fassbender’s ‘Steve Jobs’ (From The Wrap. 3 September 2015, 8:07 AM, PDT)
- Suffragette and Steve Jobs start march towards Oscars at Telluride film festival (From The Guardian - Film News. 3 September 2015, 8:00 AM, PDT)
Notting Hill (1999)
- Aashni + Co presents Designer’s Day with Manish Malhotra (From Bollyspice. 2 September 2015, 1:27 AM, PDT)
- BBC Greenlights Motown Musical Drama ‘Stop! In the Name of Love’ (From Variety - TV News. 26 August 2015, 10:01 AM, PDT)
- Early Reviews Say That Like It Or Not, "You'll Want To Have Sex With" The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (From ComicBookMovie. 11 August 2015, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- The top 20 underappreciated films of 1986 (From Den of Geek. 26 August 2015, 11:10 AM, PDT)
- Self/less | Review (From ioncinema. 9 July 2015, 9:30 AM, PDT)
- Actress and Comedian Anne Meara, Mother of Ben Stiller, Dies at 85 (From Variety - TV News. 24 May 2015, 1:00 PM, PDT)