The actor on making Julie and Julia, and his early food experiences in New York
Concetta, my mother's mother, was an amazing cook. After she had a stroke, in her late 80s, which almost paralysed her left arm, she used the kneading of dough as therapy. Just after she had her arm amputated the family distracted her by asking how to make stuffed artichokes.
She died the same year as my food film Big Night came out. But she got to see it, with all the family. She was very taciturn, didn't talk much, but she liked the film.
When I exercise I watch cooking DVDs on the running machine, or other equipment in the home gym. I love to exercise. I'm obsessed with that, like food. So I can spend the whole day sweating to Nigel Slater.
At 19 I worked as a bartender in an Italian restaurant in NY. »
- John Hind
Similar News ItemsMeryl Streep
- Wamg’s Guide To 100+ Films For Fall / Holiday 2014 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 29 August 2014, 1:49 PM, PDT)
- These Stars' Real Ages Will Blow Your Mind (From Popsugar. 29 August 2014, 11:21 AM, PDT)
- Peter Travers Takes on Ninja Turtles, Stallone and the Worst Movies of August (From Rolling Stone. 28 August 2014, 12:25 PM, PDT)
Notting Hill (1999)
- The Rewrite Trailer: Hugh Grant Back in Boorish, Romantic Form (From Collider.com. 28 August 2014, 12:34 PM, PDT)
- Catch-up TV guide: from BoJack Horseman to A Touch Of Cloth (From The Guardian - TV News. 15 August 2014, 10:00 PM, PDT)
- Summer Movies Flashback 1999: 'South Park' surprise and scathing 'Star Wars' reactions (From Hitfix. 7 August 2014, 4:25 PM, PDT)
- Life To Be A ‘Cabaret’ For Emma Stone (From The Hollywood News. 12 August 2014, 4:09 PM, PDT)
- Wilkommen, Emma Stone, Broadway’s Newest Sally Bowles (From Deadline New York. 12 August 2014, 10:38 AM, PDT)
- Liam Neeson's Nephew Suffers Head Injury in Fall (From PEOPLE.com. 27 June 2014, 7:30 AM, PDT)