The actor on making Julie and Julia, and his early food experiences in New York
Concetta, my mother's mother, was an amazing cook. After she had a stroke, in her late 80s, which almost paralysed her left arm, she used the kneading of dough as therapy. Just after she had her arm amputated the family distracted her by asking how to make stuffed artichokes.
She died the same year as my food film Big Night came out. But she got to see it, with all the family. She was very taciturn, didn't talk much, but she liked the film.
When I exercise I watch cooking DVDs on the running machine, or other equipment in the home gym. I love to exercise. I'm obsessed with that, like food. So I can spend the whole day sweating to Nigel Slater.
At 19 I worked as a bartender in an Italian restaurant in NY. »
- John Hind
Similar News ItemsMeryl Streep
- Hilary Swank Becomes Tommy Lee Jones' Lifesaver in The Homesman Trailer—Watch Now! (From E! Online. 15 April 2014, 6:49 PM, PDT)
- The Giver Featurette With Author Lois Lowry (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 15 April 2014, 1:38 PM, PDT)
- Watch: Tommy Lee Jones Returns to the Director's Chair in First Trailer for 'The Homesman' (From Thompson on Hollywood. 15 April 2014, 12:53 PM, PDT)
Notting Hill (1999)
- Gone Girl Trailer Lands (From EmpireOnline. 15 April 2014, 2:28 AM, PDT)
- Ben Affleck looks great in the first moody trailer for Fincher's 'Gone Girl' (From Hitfix. 14 April 2014, 5:35 PM, PDT)
- ‘Gone Girl’ Trailer: David Fincher Suggests the Girl May Be in the Water (From FilmSchoolRejects. 14 April 2014, 4:45 PM, PDT)
- Liam Neeson Talks Woody Allen Scandal, Losing His Wife & Raising Kids (From TooFab. 27 March 2014, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Liam Neeson Thought 'Taken' Would Go Straight To Video And 6 Other Revelations (From MTV Movie News. 27 March 2014, 10:23 AM, PDT)
- Liam Neeson Has Given Up Drinking and Isn't Dating (From PEOPLE.com. 27 March 2014, 9:20 AM, PDT)