The actor on making Julie and Julia, and his early food experiences in New York
Concetta, my mother's mother, was an amazing cook. After she had a stroke, in her late 80s, which almost paralysed her left arm, she used the kneading of dough as therapy. Just after she had her arm amputated the family distracted her by asking how to make stuffed artichokes.
She died the same year as my food film Big Night came out. But she got to see it, with all the family. She was very taciturn, didn't talk much, but she liked the film.
When I exercise I watch cooking DVDs on the running machine, or other equipment in the home gym. I love to exercise. I'm obsessed with that, like food. So I can spend the whole day sweating to Nigel Slater.
At 19 I worked as a bartender in an Italian restaurant in NY. »
- John Hind
Similar News ItemsMeryl Streep
- Tokyo: Shinzo Abe, Meryl Streep kick off festival (From ScreenDaily. 25 October 2016, 9:11 AM, PDT)
- Tokyo Festival Opens With Shinzo Abe and Meryl Streep Star Turns (From Variety - Film News. 25 October 2016, 3:00 AM, PDT)
- Relief for Lead Actress Rivals as Viola Davis Goes Supporting for ‘Fences’ (From Variety - Film News. 24 October 2016, 5:30 AM, PDT)
Notting Hill (1999)
- ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ Adaptation Lands at Warner Bros. (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 20 October 2016, 11:26 AM, PDT)
- How Hugh Grant Became the Poster Boy for the Perfectly Executed Celebrity Apology (From E! Online. 19 October 2016, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- The Revival of the Cinema Experience (From Flickeringmyth. 11 October 2016, 5:43 AM, PDT)
- Newswire: Jazzy Jennifer Lawrence will play Zelda Fitzgerald (From The AV Club. 21 October 2016, 1:47 PM, PDT)
- The Handmaid's Tale: Joseph Fiennes Joins Hulu Adaptation as Male Lead (From TVLine.com. 23 August 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Samira Wiley Cast in Hulu’s ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Alongside Elisabeth Moss (From Indiewire Television. 25 July 2016, 2:44 PM, PDT)