With bitterly cold weather setting in across Britain, the Cossack hat is shaping up as winter 2012's high street fashion hit. The style made glamorous by Julie Christie in Doctor Zhivago, and more recently by Keira Knightley in Anna Karenina, is doing swift trade across the UK.
John Lewis says sales are up 36% year-on-year, and 320% in the last three weeks as temperatures have plummeted.
Marks & Spencer has also noted a significant uplift. Compared with last winter, sales of black Cossack hats have quadrupled, while purple, a new colour for 2012, is also performing well.
Sales are also rising at shops targeting younger people. River Island's Cossack styles have almost sold out while sales of faux fur items at online retailer Asos have also increased.
"Big films like Anna Karenina always have an effect on fashion, »
- Simon Chilvers
Similar News ItemsKeira Knightley
- Walden to Co-Finance Steven Spielberg’s ‘BFG’ With DreamWorks (From Variety - Film News. 5 March 2015, 3:00 PM, PST)
- The Imitation Game Blu-ray Review (From The Hollywood News. 4 March 2015, 4:15 AM, PST)
- Spanish Actress Fakes Instagram Persona by Photoshopping Other Stars' Pics (From Entertainment Tonight. 4 March 2015, 4:08 AM, PST)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- Remembering Actress Wright: Made Oscar History in Unmatched Feat to This Day (From Alt Film Guide. 4 March 2015, 9:02 PM, PST)
- Kerry Washington Honored by GLAAD (From Variety - TV News. 3 March 2015, 7:44 AM, PST)
- Kerry Washington Honored by GLAAD (From Variety - Film News. 3 March 2015, 7:44 AM, PST)
Anna Karenina (2012/I)
- 9 actors who have left Downton Abbey for better... or worse (From Digital Spy - TV news. 5 March 2015, 12:00 PM, PST)
- IMAX poster for Disney’s Cinderella (From Flickeringmyth. 5 March 2015, 10:02 AM, PST)
- Tom Hooper’s The Danish Girl To Be Released November 27th, 2015 For Awards Season (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 4 March 2015, 12:10 PM, PST)