With bitterly cold weather setting in across Britain, the Cossack hat is shaping up as winter 2012's high street fashion hit. The style made glamorous by Julie Christie in Doctor Zhivago, and more recently by Keira Knightley in Anna Karenina, is doing swift trade across the UK.
John Lewis says sales are up 36% year-on-year, and 320% in the last three weeks as temperatures have plummeted.
Marks & Spencer has also noted a significant uplift. Compared with last winter, sales of black Cossack hats have quadrupled, while purple, a new colour for 2012, is also performing well.
Sales are also rising at shops targeting younger people. River Island's Cossack styles have almost sold out while sales of faux fur items at online retailer Asos have also increased.
"Big films like Anna Karenina always have an effect on fashion, »
- Simon Chilvers
Similar News ItemsKeira Knightley
- Keira Knightley Keeps Her Baby Bump All Bundled Up During London Outing—See the Pic! (From E! Online. 29 January 2015, 2:56 PM, PST)
- Pregnant Keira Knightley Rocks Rainbow-Bright Shoes in London: See Her Maternity Street Style! (From Us Weekly. 29 January 2015, 4:55 AM, PST)
- Best Supporting Actress: The Poll & My Ballot. (From FilmExperience. 28 January 2015, 11:00 AM, PST)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling”: Top Ten Tragic Lovers in the Movies (From SoundOnSight. 26 January 2015, 10:41 PM, PST)
- Five Unmissable Buñuel Classics Tonight on TCM (From Alt Film Guide. 26 January 2015, 5:24 PM, PST)
- Carrie Fisher mocks Debbie Reynolds as she presents 2015 SAG award (From National Ledger. 26 January 2015, 8:32 AM, PST)
Anna Karenina (2012/I)
- Henry Lloyd-Hughes Conjures Role In ‘Now You See Me: The Second Act’ (From Deadline New York. 28 January 2015, 9:31 AM, PST)
- Ex Machina movie review: damselbot in distress (From FlickFilosopher. 23 January 2015, 4:50 AM, PST)
- Faten Hamama, 'Lady of the Arabic Screen', dies aged 83 (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 18 January 2015, 10:26 AM, PST)