With bitterly cold weather setting in across Britain, the Cossack hat is shaping up as winter 2012's high street fashion hit. The style made glamorous by Julie Christie in Doctor Zhivago, and more recently by Keira Knightley in Anna Karenina, is doing swift trade across the UK.
John Lewis says sales are up 36% year-on-year, and 320% in the last three weeks as temperatures have plummeted.
Marks & Spencer has also noted a significant uplift. Compared with last winter, sales of black Cossack hats have quadrupled, while purple, a new colour for 2012, is also performing well.
Sales are also rising at shops targeting younger people. River Island's Cossack styles have almost sold out while sales of faux fur items at online retailer Asos have also increased.
"Big films like Anna Karenina always have an effect on fashion, »
- Simon Chilvers
Similar News ItemsKeira Knightley
- The Riot Club: When Being Posh Is Not Enough (From CultureCatch. 30 March 2015, 7:38 PM, PDT)
- ‘Interstellar’ wins best film at Empire Awards (From ScreenDaily. 30 March 2015, 6:55 AM, PDT)
- The Voice UK winner to release debut single 'Lost Stars' after final (From Digital Spy - TV news. 30 March 2015, 5:56 AM, PDT)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- GLAAD Media Awards 2015 Winners: Kerry Washington, ‘How to Get Away with Murder’ Honored (Complete List) (From The Wrap. 22 March 2015, 12:52 AM, PDT)
- There's a Little Women Remake in the Works: Which Young Stars Should Play the March Sisters?! (From E! Online. 19 March 2015, 2:07 PM, PDT)
- 'Little Women' Remake in the Works! (From Entertainment Tonight. 19 March 2015, 3:33 AM, PDT)
Anna Karenina (2012/I)
- New poster for Monsters: Dark Continent (From Flickeringmyth. 27 March 2015, 12:20 PM, PDT)
- Cara Delevingne: I'd rather die than play the stupid blonde or sexy girlfriend (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 24 March 2015, 4:59 AM, PDT)
- First Images from 'Paper Towns' Arrive Before First Trailer Tomorrow (From FirstShowing.net. 18 March 2015, 12:39 PM, PDT)