With bitterly cold weather setting in across Britain, the Cossack hat is shaping up as winter 2012's high street fashion hit. The style made glamorous by Julie Christie in Doctor Zhivago, and more recently by Keira Knightley in Anna Karenina, is doing swift trade across the UK.
John Lewis says sales are up 36% year-on-year, and 320% in the last three weeks as temperatures have plummeted.
Marks & Spencer has also noted a significant uplift. Compared with last winter, sales of black Cossack hats have quadrupled, while purple, a new colour for 2012, is also performing well.
Sales are also rising at shops targeting younger people. River Island's Cossack styles have almost sold out while sales of faux fur items at online retailer Asos have also increased.
"Big films like Anna Karenina always have an effect on fashion, »
- Simon Chilvers
Similar News ItemsKeira Knightley
- Festive featurette for Collateral Beauty (From Flickeringmyth. 2 December 2016, 11:00 PM, PST)
- Passengers, Rogue One, Jackie, and more films you must see this December (From Cineplex. 2 December 2016, 6:21 AM, PST)
- 35+ new images from upcoming Will Smith drama ‘Collateral Beauty’ (From The Hollywood News. 1 December 2016, 2:13 AM, PST)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- David Arquette on His ‘Hero’ Wife: ‘Being Pregnant’ While Our Son Is in His ‘Terrible Twos’ Is Hard (From PEOPLE.com. 2 December 2016, 11:30 AM, PST)
- Whoopi Goldberg Brought to Tears By Moving Tribute for Work with Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation (From PEOPLE.com. 2 December 2016, 8:05 AM, PST)
- Jaime Pressly Shares the Poignant Story of Discovering Her Late Uncle’s AIDS Diagnosis (From PEOPLE.com. 2 December 2016, 7:33 AM, PST)
Anna Karenina (2012/I)
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Interviewed By Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Race, Family and 'Fences' in the Trump Era (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 30 November 2016, 6:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Search Party’ Review: A Millennial Mystery Exploring the Highs and Lows of Generation Me (From Indiewire Television. 21 November 2016, 10:17 AM, PST)
- ‘Search Party’ Review: A Millennial Mystery Exploring the Highs and Lows of Generation Me (From Indiewire. 21 November 2016, 10:17 AM, PST)