With bitterly cold weather setting in across Britain, the Cossack hat is shaping up as winter 2012's high street fashion hit. The style made glamorous by Julie Christie in Doctor Zhivago, and more recently by Keira Knightley in Anna Karenina, is doing swift trade across the UK.
John Lewis says sales are up 36% year-on-year, and 320% in the last three weeks as temperatures have plummeted.
Marks & Spencer has also noted a significant uplift. Compared with last winter, sales of black Cossack hats have quadrupled, while purple, a new colour for 2012, is also performing well.
Sales are also rising at shops targeting younger people. River Island's Cossack styles have almost sold out while sales of faux fur items at online retailer Asos have also increased.
"Big films like Anna Karenina always have an effect on fashion, »
- Simon Chilvers
Similar News ItemsKeira Knightley
- Keira Knightley and James Righton Step Out in London, Actress's Hubby Talks Marriage and "Beautiful Wedding" (From E! Online. 21 May 2013, 11:26 AM, PDT)
- Keira Knightley and James Righton Are Back in London After a Honeymoon in Corsica (From PEOPLE.com. 20 May 2013, 4:05 PM, PDT)
- Rhys Meyers to Be Cast in Next Star Wars Installment? (From Alt Film Guide. 19 May 2013, 11:42 PM, PDT)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- 5 Elizabeth Taylor-Richard Burton Movies To Watch (From SoundOnSight. 22 May 2013, 9:02 PM, PDT)
- Jessica Chastain Is Pretty In Purple At Cannes Film Festival (From HollywoodLife. 22 May 2013, 2:12 PM, PDT)
- Cannes 2013: With hardly a line of dialogue, Robert Redford is marvelous as a man lost at sea. Plus, Liz Taylor's bling (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 22 May 2013, 11:10 AM, PDT)
Anna Karenina (2012/I)
- Costume in The Great Gatsby: Use Your Imagination (From Clothes on Film. 22 May 2013, 10:46 PM, PDT)
- Second Teaser Promo for BBC America's In the Flesh (From Dread Central. 22 May 2013, 10:25 AM, PDT)
- First Teaser Promo for BBC America's In the Flesh (From Dread Central. 17 May 2013, 11:58 AM, PDT)