With bitterly cold weather setting in across Britain, the Cossack hat is shaping up as winter 2012's high street fashion hit. The style made glamorous by Julie Christie in Doctor Zhivago, and more recently by Keira Knightley in Anna Karenina, is doing swift trade across the UK.
John Lewis says sales are up 36% year-on-year, and 320% in the last three weeks as temperatures have plummeted.
Marks & Spencer has also noted a significant uplift. Compared with last winter, sales of black Cossack hats have quadrupled, while purple, a new colour for 2012, is also performing well.
Sales are also rising at shops targeting younger people. River Island's Cossack styles have almost sold out while sales of faux fur items at online retailer Asos have also increased.
"Big films like Anna Karenina always have an effect on fashion, »
- Simon Chilvers
Similar News ItemsKeira Knightley
- Keira Knightley Flashes a Big Smile During a Sweet Stroll With James Righton (From Popsugar. 29 August 2015, 6:35 PM, PDT)
- 'Everest' Takes Jake Gyllenhaal's Breath Away in This Exclusive Clip (From Moviefone. 28 August 2015, 5:30 AM, PDT)
- Everest Releases New Images That Highlight Unfriendly Terrain (From AreYouScreening. 27 August 2015, 7:18 PM, PDT)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- A Unique Superstar: 20th Century Icon Garbo on TCM (From Alt Film Guide. 26 August 2015, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- First official images from American Horror Story: Hotel (From Flickeringmyth. 26 August 2015, 1:29 PM, PDT)
- Robert Pattinson Becomes The Paparazzi In This 'Life' Trailer - MTV (From Twilight Examiner. 13 August 2015, 8:07 PM, PDT)
Anna Karenina (2012/I)
- 'The Enchantress' For Ysl (From SneakPeek. 26 August 2015, 7:14 AM, PDT)
- 'The Enchantress' In Dkny (From SneakPeek. 24 August 2015, 10:46 AM, PDT)
- Interview: Tom Green talks Monsters: Dark Continent, comparisons to the first movie and the negative reviews (From Flickeringmyth. 20 August 2015, 10:32 AM, PDT)