Nairobi, Kenya — Actor George Clooney and a group of U.S. genocide scholars in the United States are warning that war crimes are taking place in an obscure conflict in Sudan's southern region.
Clooney has long worked to prevent conflict in Sudan and South Sudan, and he co-founded a group that uses satellite imagery to monitor acts of war there. That group, the Satellite Sentinel Project, said Thursday that 26 villages were intentionally set on fire last month by Sudanese forces.
"Razing a village is a war crime, and the torching of now at least 26 Nuban villages, plus the systematic destruction of crops and grasslands for cattle, is a crime against humanity, Clooney said. "What we're seeing here is a widespread campaign of village and crop burning. We've seen this in Darfur, and it's happening again in South Kordofan and Blue Nile," he said, referring to two states in southern Sudan »
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama (I)
- Eva Longoria & Mario Lopez To Co-Host The '2014 Nclr Alma Awards®' (From LatinoReview. 30 September 2014, 1:26 PM, PDT)
- The Good Wife Recap: Let's All Drool Over Taye Diggs (From PEOPLE.com. 29 September 2014, 3:00 AM, PDT)
- Watch: Michael Che Debuts on ‘Saturday Night Live’ Weekend Update (From Variety - TV News. 28 September 2014, 10:20 AM, PDT)
- Couple Leaves Waiter a $100 Tip for Bad Service; See George Clooney, Amal Alamuddin's First Wedding Photo: Top 5 Stories (From Us Weekly. 30 September 2014, 3:26 PM, PDT)
- Julianne Hough Gets Shirtless With Her Spaniel, Cara Delevingne Kisses a Bunny & More Celebs With Animals—See the Pics! (From E! Online. 30 September 2014, 3:21 PM, PDT)
- George Clooney Spent Millions on Wedding, But Magazine Photos Profits Go to Charity (From Entertainment Tonight. 30 September 2014, 3:07 PM, PDT)
- Dennis Quaid Will Seek Out The Truth In Dan Rather Scandal Flick (From We Got This Covered. 30 September 2014, 1:07 PM, PDT)
- Dennis Quaid Joins Dan Rather-George W. Bush Scandal Pic ‘Truth’ (From Deadline New York. 30 September 2014, 12:23 PM, PDT)
- ‘The View's’ New Co-Host Nicole Wallace on Meeting Sarah Palin: ‘I Was On Vicodin’ (From The Wrap. 15 September 2014, 2:12 PM, PDT)