Britain has had many a successful export to the Us over the years. Just not supermarkets
Americans may not have fallen in love with Tesco(or Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencer), but not every British import fails across the pond.
Many of our most successful exports are fictional, but they still rake in cash. The trials and tribulations of the Crawleys have made Downton Abbey both a critical and commercial hit in the Us. The programme, jointly produced by Britain's Carnival and America's Masterpiece, has won more than a handful of Golden Globes and Emmys and become the most watched show on PBS, America's version of the BBC.
Michelle Obama is such a fan that she reportedly begged ITV to send her DVDs of the third series last month as she couldn't bear to wait until it airs stateside in January.
The Obamas are also smitten with all-conquering boy band One Direction. »
- Rupert Neate
Similar News ItemsSimon Cowell (I)
- Cheryl Cole returns to The X Factor: For or against? (From Digital Spy - TV news. 11 March 2014, 5:27 AM, PDT)
- Cheryl Cole to Return to ‘The X Factor’ in the U.K. (From Variety - TV News. 11 March 2014, 2:59 AM, PDT)
- Cheryl Cole to make X Factor return (From The Guardian - TV News. 11 March 2014, 2:21 AM, PDT)
- Chelsea Handler Roasts Piers: ‘Maybe That’s Why Your Job Is Coming to an End’ (From Mediaite - TV. 10 March 2014, 7:14 PM, PDT)
- Need for Speed review: Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul gets behind the wheel (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 8 March 2014, 4:00 PM, PST)
- Lawyers, Lemon and Real Life: Are These Some of CNN’s New Primetime Faces? (From Variety - TV News. 7 March 2014, 12:40 PM, PST)
"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- 'Downton Abbey's' Michelle Dockery loves that Lady Mary is 'so complex' (From Pop2it. 11 March 2014, 7:45 AM, PDT)
- Raising Hope: Cancelled, No Season Five (From TVSeriesFinale. 10 March 2014, 5:50 PM, PDT)
- Fox cancels 'Raising Hope,' sets series finale for April (From Hitfix. 10 March 2014, 12:35 PM, PDT)