Britain has had many a successful export to the Us over the years. Just not supermarkets
Americans may not have fallen in love with Tesco(or Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencer), but not every British import fails across the pond.
Many of our most successful exports are fictional, but they still rake in cash. The trials and tribulations of the Crawleys have made Downton Abbey both a critical and commercial hit in the Us. The programme, jointly produced by Britain's Carnival and America's Masterpiece, has won more than a handful of Golden Globes and Emmys and become the most watched show on PBS, America's version of the BBC.
Michelle Obama is such a fan that she reportedly begged ITV to send her DVDs of the third series last month as she couldn't bear to wait until it airs stateside in January.
The Obamas are also smitten with all-conquering boy band One Direction. »
- Rupert Neate
Similar News ItemsSimon Cowell (I)
- Meet Cnco, Our Latest Boy-Band Crush (From E! Online. 28 September 2016, 10:25 AM, PDT)
- Ouch! Simon Cowell Punches ‘X Factor’ Singer In The Face (From ET Canada. 27 September 2016, 2:04 PM, PDT)
- The Commitments at 25: Robert Arkins, Ken McCluskey & Dave Finnegan interview (From The Hollywood News. 25 September 2016, 2:30 AM, PDT)
- Madonna’s Bare Breasts: Piers Morgan Just Ain’t Feelin’ ‘Em (From The Wrap. 28 September 2016, 12:50 PM, PDT)
- 8 Celebrities Who Bared Their Breasts for a Cause (Photos) (From The Wrap. 27 September 2016, 8:29 AM, PDT)
- Even the Dalai Lama Can't Believe Brad and Angelina Broke Up (Yes, Really) (From Popsugar. 23 September 2016, 10:35 AM, PDT)
"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Best Movies to See in October: 'Birth of a Nation,' Stooges Doc and More (From Rolling Stone. 28 September 2016, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- NBCU boss cool on ITV acquisition (From ScreenDaily. 27 September 2016, 10:09 AM, PDT)
- Netflix's The Crown Looks Like an Addictive Blend of Downton Abbey and Reign (From BuzzSugar. 27 September 2016, 8:15 AM, PDT)