Britain has had many a successful export to the Us over the years. Just not supermarkets
Americans may not have fallen in love with Tesco(or Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencer), but not every British import fails across the pond.
Many of our most successful exports are fictional, but they still rake in cash. The trials and tribulations of the Crawleys have made Downton Abbey both a critical and commercial hit in the Us. The programme, jointly produced by Britain's Carnival and America's Masterpiece, has won more than a handful of Golden Globes and Emmys and become the most watched show on PBS, America's version of the BBC.
Michelle Obama is such a fan that she reportedly begged ITV to send her DVDs of the third series last month as she couldn't bear to wait until it airs stateside in January.
The Obamas are also smitten with all-conquering boy band One Direction. »
- Rupert Neate
Similar News ItemsSimon Cowell (I)
- Louis Walsh: Simon has 'f***ed' up with The X Factor (From Virgin Media - TV. 24 November 2015, 3:00 AM, PST)
- Doctor Who writer Sarah Dollard surprised to kill off Clara Oswald (From Virgin Media - TV. 23 November 2015, 3:00 AM, PST)
- Simon Cowell gives Caroline Flack 'constructive criticism' (From Virgin Media - TV. 23 November 2015, 12:00 AM, PST)
- Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain: 'embracing his colossal unpopularity' (From The Guardian - TV News. 23 November 2015, 2:42 AM, PST)
- Tabloid editors take on a panto villain persona, says Piers Morgan (From The Guardian - TV News. 16 November 2015, 4:01 PM, PST)
- Larry King: 'The secret of my success? I'm dumb' (From The Guardian - TV News. 5 November 2015, 4:00 AM, PST)
"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Like You, Downton Abbey's Creator Wants to See the Crawleys in a Movie (From TVGuide - Breaking News. 24 November 2015, 4:46 PM, PST)
- Julian Fellowes Really Wants the Downton Abbey Movie to Happen (From Vulture. 24 November 2015, 2:53 PM, PST)
- Top 10 Best Lgbtqa Films Every Non-lgbtqa Person Should See! (From Manny the Movie Guy. 24 November 2015, 9:53 AM, PST)