Britain has had many a successful export to the Us over the years. Just not supermarkets
Americans may not have fallen in love with Tesco(or Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencer), but not every British import fails across the pond.
Many of our most successful exports are fictional, but they still rake in cash. The trials and tribulations of the Crawleys have made Downton Abbey both a critical and commercial hit in the Us. The programme, jointly produced by Britain's Carnival and America's Masterpiece, has won more than a handful of Golden Globes and Emmys and become the most watched show on PBS, America's version of the BBC.
Michelle Obama is such a fan that she reportedly begged ITV to send her DVDs of the third series last month as she couldn't bear to wait until it airs stateside in January.
The Obamas are also smitten with all-conquering boy band One Direction. »
- Rupert Neate
Similar News ItemsSimon Cowell (I)
- Chloe Jasmine on Celebrity Big Brother offer: 'I'm not that entertaining' (From Digital Spy - TV news. 22 October 2014, 12:00 PM, PDT)
- Todrick Hall Gets His Own TV Show On MTV (From Tubefilter News. 22 October 2014, 9:55 AM, PDT)
- Ed Sheeran texts X Factor's Simon Cowell over "fantastic" Andrea Faustini (From Digital Spy - TV news. 22 October 2014, 7:54 AM, PDT)
- Piers Morgan Slams Monica Lewinsky: You're Not Blameless (From Us Weekly. 21 October 2014, 7:11 AM, PDT)
- CNN Layoffs, Diversity Prompt Concern From Congressional Black Caucus Leader (From The Wrap. 20 October 2014, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Simon Cowell planning musical TV drama series? (From Digital Spy - TV news. 15 October 2014, 3:21 AM, PDT)
"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Paddington Movie Releases New Featurette (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 22 October 2014, 11:06 AM, PDT)
- New quad poster for The Imitation Game (From Flickeringmyth. 22 October 2014, 2:30 AM, PDT)
- Page 2: Spielberg, Star Wars, Bttf, Lego, Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, 2001, Star Trek, Spaceballs, Simpsons, Indiana Jones (From Slash Film. 21 October 2014, 3:00 PM, PDT)