Britain has had many a successful export to the Us over the years. Just not supermarkets
Americans may not have fallen in love with Tesco(or Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencer), but not every British import fails across the pond.
Many of our most successful exports are fictional, but they still rake in cash. The trials and tribulations of the Crawleys have made Downton Abbey both a critical and commercial hit in the Us. The programme, jointly produced by Britain's Carnival and America's Masterpiece, has won more than a handful of Golden Globes and Emmys and become the most watched show on PBS, America's version of the BBC.
Michelle Obama is such a fan that she reportedly begged ITV to send her DVDs of the third series last month as she couldn't bear to wait until it airs stateside in January.
The Obamas are also smitten with all-conquering boy band One Direction. »
- Rupert Neate
Similar News ItemsSimon Cowell (I)
- Lettice Rowbotham's Bgt audition inspired by sister (From Virgin Media - TV. 22 April 2014, 9:15 AM, PDT)
- Simon Cowell still munches on 'special carrots' (From Virgin Media - TV. 22 April 2014, 2:15 AM, PDT)
- Simon Cowell's 'Britain's Got Talent' Wins Saturday Ratings Battle, Audience Drops (From The Hollywood Reporter. 21 April 2014, 2:16 AM, PDT)
- Ian Hislop: 'There aren't enough women who are happy on panel shows' (From Digital Spy - TV news. 11 April 2014, 5:24 AM, PDT)
- “Mad Men” Begins Its Final Season, “Hannibal” Is Best in Show and People Are Naming Their Daughters Khaleesi (From The Backlot. 11 April 2014, 5:08 AM, PDT)
- CNN's Jeff Zucker: Larry King/Piers Morgan-Style Interview Shows 'No Longer Viable' (From The Hollywood Reporter. 10 April 2014, 11:51 AM, PDT)
"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Giveaway – Win tickets to the premiere of Plastic starring Will Poulter, Alfie Allen and Ed Speleers (From Flickeringmyth. 23 April 2014, 10:55 AM, PDT)
- Jamaica Inn: complaints to BBC over 'mumbling' soar to nearly 800 (From The Guardian - TV News. 23 April 2014, 3:43 AM, PDT)
- Jamaica Inn: BBC receives more than 100 complaints over 'mumbling' (From The Guardian - TV News. 22 April 2014, 5:16 AM, PDT)