The classic (and first) Rodgers & Hammerstein musical Oklahoma! gets a Blu-ray release. This Royal National Theatre production features Hugh Jackman in the lead and director Trevor Nunn at the helm. After finishing their run on the London stage, the cast filmed the musical in a large soundstage made to resemble their staging.
Jackman plays the cowboy Curly who is in love with farm girl Laurey (Josefina Gabrielle), but their immature flirtation leads her to accept an invitation to the big social dance by creepy Jud (Shuler Hensley—who won an Olivier Award for this role). While Laurey's romantic drama plays out, Ado Annie (Vicki Simon) has her own relationship dilemma. She's torn between Persian peddler Ali Hakim (Peter Polycarpou) and her original sweetheart Will (Jimmy Johnston). With the help of Laurey's Aunt Eller (Maureen Lipman), the girls navigate the courtship rituals of frontier life.
- John Keith
Similar News ItemsHugh Jackman
- Bryan Singer developing The Age of Heroes adaptation (From Flickeringmyth. 11 July 2014, 4:20 AM, PDT)
- Ryan Reynolds and Rosario Dawson take no prisoners in The Captive trailer (From JoBlo. 10 July 2014, 11:02 AM, PDT)
- Now you see him: First look at Adrien Brody in History's 'Houdini' (From EW.com - Inside TV. 9 July 2014, 2:48 PM, PDT)
- Ian McKellen turns 75: 8 great performances from the acting legend (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 25 May 2014, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- Thn Talk To Tom Baker At Horror Channel’s ‘Doctor Who’ Launch (From The Hollywood News. 21 April 2014, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Theatre Review: Fatal Attraction (From The Hollywood News. 28 March 2014, 1:57 AM, PDT)
- Hugh Jackman reunites with Maureen Lipman after 15 years (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 8 July 2014, 4:29 AM, PDT)
- Odd Thomas Blu-Ray Review (From We Got This Covered. 24 March 2014, 5:40 PM, PDT)
- Billy Crudup Talks Blood Ties, the Original French Film Les Liens Du Sang, and the Influence of Classic 1970s Crime Thrillers, Plus His Current Broadway Run (From Collider.com. 21 March 2014, 5:00 PM, PDT)